The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 12, 2010, 11:06 AM   #1

Bypassing primer extraction

I've been lurking around here for the past month or so, reading the posts and garnering information. I believe you have one of the better forums that I have found. I have a question about not expelling a primer. I recently "unloaded" 38 spl and 9 mm rounds leaving the live primer. Is it possible to re size the casing with out punching out the primer? I haven't done any re loading in fifteen years and my renewed interest stems from my recent CPL and the need to practice. I look forward to your replies and a long association with you. Thanks.
Old December 12, 2010, 11:12 AM   #2
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

It might depend on your die, I'm not sure, but most of them you can simply remove the decapping pin and size the case.

Actually, you shouldn't have to resize them. Run them through the flare die, add powder, seat and crimp.
Old December 12, 2010, 12:12 PM   #3
jmorris

For pistol rounds just take out the decaping pin. For rifle the expander is part of the decapping pin.
Old December 12, 2010, 12:31 PM   #4
Ozzieman

I agree with the answers you have received, but would like to add this. Are they factory or reloads?
Sometimes removing the decaping pin can be hard. I just remove the entire center of the sizing/decaping die.
I would suggest resizing 9mm each and every time. Since the tightness of the bullet to the case is very important to the functioning of the 9mm you want as tight as possible fit of bullet to case. Resizing the 9mm will insure you get a tight fit.
Old December 12, 2010, 02:06 PM   #5

Thanks guys for your replies. All are reloads. Glad I don't have to fire off all those primers.
Old December 12, 2010, 05:16 PM   #6
dahermit

Quote:
Glad I don't have to fire off all those primers
If you try to fire casings with just primers in them, they will tie up the revolver cylinder. Do not do it.
Old December 13, 2010, 07:03 AM   #7

Thanks Dahermit
Old December 13, 2010, 09:24 AM   #8
demigod

When I need to do this, I simply decap and recap the same primer right back into the brass, Jethro.

I suppose if it were hundreds of rounds, I might go to the trouble of taking the decap pin out.

I'm assuming the brass NEEDS to be resized?? And that's why you're pulling them apart?? Otherwise there'd be no reason to resize an unfired case.
Old December 13, 2010, 06:15 PM   #9
Bailey Boat

I don't know...... Back in the dark ages (when I started reloading) I once loaded 100, 38 specials that "felt" too hot. I didn't have a chronograph (young, cash flow issue) so I decided to pull the bullets, dump the powder, reduce the charge and re-seat the bullet. I banged them all out and then decided to re-size and bell the case, lower the charge and re-seat. Somewhere in that process the primers got set back just far enough to cause a TON of first strike misfires. They all fired on the second strike but it was aggrivating as hell to go through them, double firing the majority.......