The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 1, 2011, 04:56 PM   #26
glockcompact

Another poster (Burger) once wrote. GLock was made with Crack blended into its polymer frame. The more you handle a glock, the more you want it." Don't let these guys give you to much $h1t. I would rather have a weapon I like to shoot. And I love shooting my Glocks.

Old February 1, 2011, 05:03 PM   #27
Madcap_Magician

That is a fine Hi Power. It's hard to guess how much it might be worth, and I'm no expert, but if the finish is factory original, and it's a Belgian gun, I suspect it will be worth more than your average Hi Power. My recommendation is to find the current Blue Book of Gun Values and look it up. That will tell you about what it's worth to sell. A dealer will give you less money, but you'd get it faster. You may do better than blue book from a private buyer, but it'll take longer.

Glocks are sufficiently inexpensive and common as dirt. Great guns, but I would not trade that Hi Power.
Old February 1, 2011, 05:16 PM   #28
Jimmy10mm

Say it is worth between $700.00 and $1200.00 on Gunbroker depending on the day. If you cannot afford to buy the Glock that is one thing. If you are not at all into collecting guns that is another. It is hard chrome and super durable. Made in Belgium, as all of them are/were, but without the 'Assembled In Portugal' stamping. Makes it a more collectible piece. I would recommend you buy the Glock and shoot it a bunch. May turn out that you like shooting and then try the Hi-Power out again.You may find you like it after all. If not you can always sell it. I happen to think they are great guns but I prefer the type 3.
Old February 1, 2011, 05:32 PM   #29
dgludwig

Quote:
something smells fishy....

Somewhat agree ??
I'm not trying to cast any asperity on the sincerity of the op's question but I guess this is the first time ever that I've heard anybody say that they preferred the grip of a Glock to that of a Hi Power. Be that as it may, I agree with others that I'd think long and hard before trading a classic pistol like the Hi Power for a common alternative like the Glock (and I could reference many other brands of pistols fitting the same description). For all you Glock aficionados, please be advised that I have nothing against the Glock pistol and I'm sure it's a fine weapon for what it is. But what it isn't is a finely machined, ergonomically "perfect", true classic pistol in the best sense of the word.
Old February 1, 2011, 05:53 PM   #30
Coltman 77

I have no idea how much pistol shooting you've done, Evan, but put some new grip panels on that Hi Power and learn to shoot it.

The Hi Power doesn't have the best trigger in the world,but is super accurate and a pleasure to shoot.

That's why it has had such a great reputation since 1935.

Glock makes a fine sidearm, reliable and accurate; but it's just a rather clunky tool, IMO.

Keep your BHP. It is a perfect blend of beautiful design and function.

And please keep us updated on your situation.

Good luck.

Protect our 2nd Amendment Rights -- Join the NRA
Old February 1, 2011, 06:00 PM   #31
Wishoot

DO NOT SELL THAT GUN!

I like Glocks, but Browning Hi Powers are works of art.
Old February 1, 2011, 06:11 PM   #32
Tactical Jackalope

I'm sorry Evan, you are insane. And it's okay. You are extremely new to the gun world. I own a hi-power that I am in love with. Do NOT sell that beautiful piece of work. Ever. It's only going to go up in price as time goes by. I still take mine to the range here and there. Only 9mm I own. (look through my previous posts you'll see pics) I'm using my phone to write this. Can't seem to find where to upload pictures yet.

But again, do not sell it. You remind me of myself when I got the hi-power..clueless. Trust me. Stick around here for a little while longer and you'll see what you have there is a gem. Mine is beautiful to me. But I would LOVE to have yours. Hold onto it. I like glock...but that doesn't come close to glock. ah. There we go. Got it
Old February 1, 2011, 07:01 PM   #33
Skans

Quote:
The Hi Power doesn't have the best trigger in the world,but is super accurate and a pleasure to shoot.
Mine does!!!
Old February 1, 2011, 07:17 PM   #34
ammo.crafter

Hi-Power

Change the Pachmayer grips. Try a set of thin grips. Bet you'll like how it feels!!!!
Old February 1, 2011, 07:28 PM   #35
jaughtman

Trade it outright even for a Glock....

to ME! I got a Glock 19 that will even come with 3 mags for it, but I don't mind you taking advantage of me. Haha. If you are serious, I am just funning with you, and can tell you that unless you have HUGE hands, you will not like the Glock grip shape better than the Hi Power. You can always get a used Glock for around 400 - 450 easy. That gun sells around here for $700 - $1200 as most people pointed out.

J
Old February 1, 2011, 07:41 PM   #36
Renfield

I have a Browning Hi Power that looks almost exactly like that but mine have walnut grips with a Browning medallion in them

it's more of a safe queen now, I carry my Glock 19

"In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends"
Martin Luther King, Jr.

"Orators are most vehement when their cause is weak" Marcus Tullius Cicero

Old February 1, 2011, 07:42 PM   #37
barry

Evan listen to Amin - I own Glocks and Browning HPs Belgium made and I would not trade my BHP for three Glocks. Barry
Old February 1, 2011, 07:51 PM   #38
dogtown tom

Trading a Hi Power for a Glock is like trading Miss Universe for Rosie O'Donnell.

While both are "functionally" the same...........I can't go on I, I ...:barf:

Any real man knows what to do.

Keep the HP for the great grandchildren and for proudly showing to friends and family. Then buy a used Glock for $350 and make yourself happy.

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE
Old February 1, 2011, 07:56 PM   #39
Wishoot

Quote:
Trading a Hi Power for a Glock is like trading Miss Universe for Rosie O'Donnell.
I'm going to borrow this line if you don't mind.
Old February 1, 2011, 10:16 PM   #40
LDSGJA

You shooting yourself in the foot. Being in Calif. you are limited to a 10 round magazine, unless you get grandfather'd in! If you sell that gun you loose your hi-cap mag ability. The dealer will most likely put a 10 round mag in it and sell the hi-cap mag online (or keep it for their private collection).

I say hold onto it. Plus its real pretty. Or see if you can trade with another family member who will appreciate it.
Old February 1, 2011, 10:25 PM   #41
WVsig

Looking closer the gun is worth more than $700 I stated originally due to its made in Belgium marking. This ups its blue book value by 50%. I would rate this gun at 95% because it has been shot and has handling marks in the silver chrome. BB of Guns 39th edition puts it value at $550 + 50% = $825. That assumes he has original mags. This gun was made in 1980.

This is not a $1200 gun. Sorry but those who are telling you that are wrong. Yes they are listed on GB for that but you will notice that they never sell at that price.

I will go against the grain here. Why keep something that you do not like to shoot. It is a great gun but if it is not your thing then trade it for something you will shoot. If you are trading for a Glock I would ask for $350 cash plus the Glock.

Last edited by WVsig; February 5, 2011 at 04:42 PM.
Old February 1, 2011, 10:55 PM   #42
Yung.gunr

Don't trade

Keep it. Don't sell, trade, loan, or let others shoot it. Guard it more then you would your daughter (so you can guard her with it). I like the analogy of Rosie O'donnell, seems very.....fitting
Old February 2, 2011, 12:02 AM   #43
EvanWhite

Wow. A lot of activity while I was at work. Let me try to address some comments:

Quote:
I'll say it-

Dude comes around with 1 post claiming to be innocent and uninformed, and has some very nice pictures of an abnormal or special hi-power with clear pictures in some key spots and claiming to know nothing about a gun he may own.
This is my first post because this is my first gun. I am not claiming to be "innocent", but rather, ignorant as I KNOW NOTHING ABOUT GUN VALUATIONS.

Quote:
Whether individual transfer is legal in CA I don't know, but I am sure he will comply with the law in making a trade.
Indeed I will. I was planning to do the trade-in/purchase at Gun World in Burbank, Ca (http://www.gunworldburbank.com/)

Quote:
That is a very very special pistol you have there. I have been looking for one for almost ten years and its very scarce.
This is the kind of information I am after. I had no idea of the gun's value and that is why I asked.

Quote:
I have this titanium and carbon fiber club. However, my brother has this stick.
Brother is LAPD officer. Carries a Glock 22 and 23. He is not a gun enthusiast, but he is my guide when it comes to firearms. I am quite certain he has no idea of the value of this HP - I asked him, in fact, and he suggested I post to these forums.

Quote:
you may find that instead of the current grips on the High-Power to be too large, you can switch them out for thinner after market wood ones, it will made a difference in how that weapon feels in your hand.
Again, I had no idea this could be done. Very grateful for this kind of information. I will give it a go.

Quote:
I don't necassarily disagree with the previous posts but I have to say I don't have the extra money lying around to have safe queens. I sold my safe queens for useable firearms.
I was thinking along these lines. What good is a classic Rolls Royce in your garage if you can't/won't drive it. Isn't a yugo better if you need to get to work?

Quote:
Another poster (Burger) once wrote. GLock was made with Crack blended into its polymer frame. The more you handle a glock, the more you want it." Don't let these guys give you to much $h1t. I would rather have a weapon I like to shoot. And I love shooting my Glocks.
Thank You. An excellent counterpoint.

Quote:
My recommendation is to find the current Blue Book of Gun Values and look it up
Great suggestion. I didn't know there was a blue book for guns.

Quote:
If you cannot afford to buy the Glock that is one thing. If you are not at all into collecting guns that is another
Indeed, I can not afford a glock outright and I don't think I will ever be a gun collector. I am learning that this HP is valuable, but not necessarily because it is a good gun to use.

Quote:
I'm sorry Evan, you are insane. And it's okay. You are extremely new to the gun world. I own a hi-power that I am in love with. Do NOT sell that beautiful piece of work. Ever. It's only going to go up in price as time goes by
Thank you. This is exactly why I asked my question - I really had no frame of reference on what makes a gun valuable.

Quote:
unless you have HUGE hands, you will not like the Glock grip shape better than the Hi Power
I do have huge hands. I have been able to palm a basketball since I was 14.

Quote:
It is at best a $700 gun. It is silver hard chromed. This is not a $1200 gun. Sorry but those who are telling you that are wrong. Yes they are listed on GB for that but you will notice that they never sell at that price.
Thanks. I will do more research.

All in all, I was quite surprised at some of the vitriol. I am an honest noob looking for help.

To all those that gave honest and straightforward answers to my question: I really appreciate your help and insights into a subject I am just starting to learn about.

Evan

Everyone starts somewhere.
Old February 2, 2011, 01:26 AM   #44
Tactical Jackalope

Well Evan, welcome to the firing line thank you for joining and whatever you do with it. Regardless someone or both of you will be happy. Just don't want to see you get robbed brother.
Old February 2, 2011, 08:44 AM   #45
Skans

Quote:
It is at best a $700 gun.
That gun is worth more than $700 - With 4 days left and 14 bids, a similar one is already selling for $755 (with shipping, $780) on Gunbroker - you might want to follow this auction.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=212171440

BTW, the OP's Hi-Power has the sight, slide release and slide lock/safety chromed as well - which appears to be more rare than the one in the auction. The bottom line is that the gun pictured is not "at best" $700.
Old February 2, 2011, 09:40 AM   #46
Jimmy10mm

Quote:
That gun is worth more than $700 - With 4 days left and 14 bids, a similar one is already selling for $755 (with shipping, $780) on Gunbroker
+1 Evan, I guarantee that If you take that gun to your dealer he will give you less than half of what you can get on Gunbroker or possibly selling it FFL to FFL to someone on this forum. Brick and mortar gun dealers have rent, lights, inventory, employees to cover. If a gun is worth 1k they might offer $400 if you're lucky. That is my experience anyhow.

Post it on GB with some really good photos and you'll do way better. Or go back through these posts and PM the guy who said he has been looking for one for ten years and see what he will offer. Good luck.
Old February 2, 2011, 10:00 AM   #47
Skans

Heck, post the gun here first -there are lots of Hi-Power fans here on this board (if you are going to sell it, which I am not advocating). I think that you will find you'd get a fair price. If that doesn't work out then you always have Gunbroker.
Old February 2, 2011, 10:43 AM   #48
scottl

Evan join up here:
http://hipowertalk.com/forum/default.asp

Dedicated Hi Power forum.Someone over there can probably tell you exactly what you need to know.
Old February 2, 2011, 11:34 AM   #49
dogtown tom

Quote:
WVsig It is at best a $700 gun. It is silver hard chromed. This is not a $1200 gun. Sorry but those who are telling you that are wrong.
YOUR first mistake is calling this a Silver Chrome......it isn't. SC is the matte finish seen most often on the frame of the Practical models.

This appears to be the Nickel finish and is a bit more scarce than the Silver Chrome models.

Your second mistake is saying this is at best a $700 gun. Since you don't know the difference between a Nickel HP and a Silver Chrome HP I doubt you were able to research actual values.

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE
Old February 2, 2011, 12:10 PM   #50
armabill

How many were made ?

Tags
appraisal , glock , hi power