The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 25, 2007, 01:29 AM   #1
fourteenplusone

7mm Rem Mag

Could someone enlighten me about this? I am going to start reloading for my
7mm Rem Mag, I've been wondering about the neck length. I know the
7mm WSM has a short neck, and it causes you to seat the bullet deep in the cartridge, does this same problem exist on the Rem Mag? It doesn't appear (atleast to me) that the neck is any longer on the Rem.

It's probably a dumb question, but I would really appreciate any help on the subject!!
Old January 25, 2007, 11:00 AM   #2
castnblast

I wouldn't worry about it. There is plenty of neck there to hold the bullet. Also, If you are using a bolt gun, there is no reason to use the crimp die. I've been reloading 7mm for about 18 years. I don't know it all, but here are some crucial safety points and tips in no particular order...

1. Start out at SAAMI specs for Case over all length (aka bullet seating depth) Throat errosion is not a problem in these guns...They just don't get shot enough for the most part.
2. TRIM YOUR CASES. EVERY STINKIN' ONE OF THEM...Lee case cutter is the easiest and best way to get a consistant trim.
3. Lube EVERY CASE. Belted mags are notorious for getting stuck in the die. Which leads to #4
4. Buy a stuck case remover
5. Belted mags most accurate rounds are usually well below the max powder charge. If you are concerned about velocity, shoot a lighter bullet. That gun has pleanty of "UMPF". Which leads to #6
6. Match your bullet to your quarry...
7. Use a slow burning powder for best accuracy & velocity. H4831SC, RL 22, etc. There are lots of others too...

There are probably more. Are you new to reloading? If so, there are some other points I need to make. Feel free to send my a private message for more details if needed. Have fun! I really like the 160 gr. and under for this gun. The 160 does a number on elk sized quarry. Some will say you need heavier, but I've nailed some huge animals w/ this and had incredible results.
(Not elk, but VERY large hogs...and Nilgai antelope, which are the same size as an elk...up to 750-800lbs live weight.)