The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old February 17, 2006, 09:22 AM   #1
eagle24

Where to buy good quality BP pistol?

I'm looking at black powder pistols which I know very little about. I've looked at the pistols that cabelas and bassproshops have online but being new to black powder guns, I don't know whether they are good quality or not. Are there some other places online that sell better quality guns and offer a bigger selection? What should I look for in a black powder pistol? Who are the better manufacturers and who sells them?
Old February 17, 2006, 09:47 AM   #2
Old Dragoon

www.midwayusa.com

www.dixiegunworks.com

www.riverjunction.com

Cabels's is a great company and if there is a problem they will bend over backwards to make it right. Same with Midway USA.

There are several re-enactor sutlers that carry the various makers too.

Uberti, Pietta and Euroarms all make good BP pistols. If the sellers do not state who makes their pistols email and ask.
Old February 17, 2006, 10:01 AM   #3
Steve499

I am sure there are many on-line sources for black powder pistols. They all are probably going to be selling pistols made by the same handful of manufacturers. Personally, I would never order from anyone who fails to tell who the manufacturer is of the guns they sell. I have bought from Dixie Gun Works and have always been satisfied with their service.

I am personally familiar with three makers. The Uberti I have is of very high quality. I also have a Pietta which is good but not as well made as the Uberti. It shoots better, however. The fitting is inferior to the Uberti and it had a hammer which wasn't as hard as it needed to be. I ordered and was sent a Palmetto. It was absolutely worthless! I sent it back. I know of no favorable owner reports on a Palmetto and wouldn't take another one if they were being given away for nothing.

The quality control on these Italian replicas seems to be a sometimes thing. I know of Ubertis which needed minor tinkering and of Piettas which did not. Right now I would have equal confidence in a pistol from either one of them. The only other percussion revolver I have owned was an Italian replica manufactured in the 60s. I don't recall who made it.

Steve
Old February 17, 2006, 10:10 AM   #4
BP Tess

Hello eagle24, I've been into the whole aspect of BP for only a couple of months now. Although i've been hunting and shooting all of my life, Blackpowder is really satisfying. My first purchase was a 1958 .44cal from Cabelas. They have just about the best prices I've found yet. The fellas on this site and the sister site the highroad are very knowlegeable on the subject. They have helprd me a bunch. Welcome, read alot on here, ask questions and have fun. Tess (Teresa)
Old February 17, 2006, 11:19 AM   #5
eagle24

Thanks for the info. Here's another rookie question. In looking at the various designs of .44 cal BP revolvers, it seems to me that the 1858 Army model with the topstrap would be the stronger frame as opposed to a 51 Navy model or a 60 Army model. Can you fire heavier loads in a 58 Army model than what you can fire in the models without a topstrap? I know that if I get a BP revolver I will eventually want to harvest a whitetail with it.
Old February 17, 2006, 11:46 AM   #6
Old Dragoon

I went with the "58 new Model army for the ease of swapping out the cylinders(ALA Clint Eastwood in Pale Rider. also the frame is stronger than the open tops. I love '51 Colt Navies, but I went with the Remmy and am sold on it in any of the three mfr. I listed. I just got a Euroarms yesterday and it fits my small hands so well and due to the setp of the chambers being bigger than the bore it'll shoot great too. (I hope so anyway) I will report back after I shoot it.
Old February 17, 2006, 12:36 PM   #7
Remington kid

If you just want a quality C&B revolver and want to use it mainly for hunting you may want to choose the Ruger. It's probably one of the best out there but it's not anything that has to do with the Civil war or the wild west It is a great looking six shooter and has more than enough power for about anything you want to hunt.
That being said there are several of us on here who hunt Deer size game with out Remington .44 with no problems at all using 40g. of powder and a ball or a 200g. conical. I have taken several Deer with mine and none of them have gone over 40 yards. A friend of mine took a bore with his and it dropped on the spot.
Keep this in mind also.... Check your hunting laws for your state because most states will not allow you to use a C&B revolver during muzzle loader season. Call your local DNR to make sure. You can use it during gun season in most states.
Old February 17, 2006, 01:18 PM   #8
eagle24

Thanks Remington Kid. Do you know roughly how many fps a load with 40g of fffg and .44 round ball will achieve from an 8" revolver? Also, I have checked the local hunting regulations in Alabama. The only restriction to C&B revolvers for deer is that they be a mimimum .40 cal and during muzzleloader seasons you must use iron sights only.
Old February 22, 2006, 04:08 AM   #9
Weird Guy

I don't think you will be able to fit 40 grains of powder in a regular revolver. "Regular" to me being the Colt '51 Navy, the Ruger Old Army, and the Remington 1858 New Army.

However, there are some revolvers that are a bit on the edge, such as the Walker Colt 1847, and that pistols derivatives, the three Dragoon models. These are powerful handguns, and they can hold a lot of gunpowder. I think getting around 900 to 1100 feet per second is normal with the Dragoons.
Old February 22, 2006, 07:45 AM   #10
Steve499

Remington Kid hunts with a 40 grain charge in his Remington. There's a thread back there somewhere with all the steps photographed. I think a conical bullet reduces the area too much for 40 grains but with a round ball, it's do-able.

Steve
Old February 22, 2006, 08:39 AM   #11
mec

results will vary but I have clocked .454 Balls from both remington types and colt 60 armies at over 1,000 fps. This is with 35 grains of swiss or pyrodex p.

The Remington may be marginally stronger than the Colt type but I believe both are more than strong enough for as much black powder as you can stuff into them. You will note that the bottom front of the remington frame, slotted for the loading lever does not actually have much metal there. One owner of a brass framed remington said that his frame collapsed at that point when he was using a lot of pressure to seat a ball.
Old February 22, 2006, 09:05 AM   #12
Low Key

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...d.php?t=190241

Here's the thread about loading 40 gr in an 1858 Remington. You can do it with no problems and I always have one cylinder loaded with a 40gr charge of pyrodex p. My target load is more like 30gr though and I have been shooting the 40gr cylinder once a month and then reload with fresh powder. It really packs a whollop on the target!
Old February 23, 2006, 04:12 PM   #13
Brent Vinson

Taylor's and Pietta 1860 Army

I'm really happy with the experience I had with the Pietta 1860 Army and R&D
conversion cylinder. Taylor's checks out each one for fit, finish and timing.
The accuracy with the conversion cylinder is just outstanding with Winchester
"cowboy" .45 Colt loads.

I have a Uberti "Cattleman" SAA clone I purchased from Bass Pro Shops here in Cincinnati. The salesman was kind enough to let me check out four different examples. All were accecptable but there we some small variations.

As for the Uberti versus Pietta comparison; I think the external finish on the Uberti is better but internal quality seems about the same. I do like the oil finished grips on the Pietta but the external polish on the blued metal parts is not as nice as the Uberti. The case colors on the Pietta are much more vivid than the Uberti frame, also Uberti uses this muddy red stain/varnish on their
wood which I don't care for much.

I ordered a set of Uberti 1860 Army grips (complete assembly w/triggerguard, backstrap and wood) from VTI since the "Navy" size grips of the regular SAA
clones are too small for my long fingers. I expected to strip and refinish these but left them alone since the replacement grip had a much nicer finish than the original on the "Cattleman".

Conclusion; both revolvers are a good value as is and can be easily improved with a little bit of work.
Old February 23, 2006, 07:45 PM   #14
Weird Guy

Back to the orginal post.

I would buy from Dixie Gun Works. I know that Cabela's have a good selection, but I find that a lot of their stuff is on backorder (grrrrr). I used to pass over the Dixie website because I wanted to stay with what I know, but having now done some business with them over e-mail and such, they are really good about their sales. Then I saw their inventory and they sell EVERYTHING! There have so many different weapons and accessories that I probably will always buy from them from now on.

I bought my 1859 Sharps Infantry from them and had it on my doorstep in a week. They also carry more than just one manufacturer, so you can specifically choose what kind you want. Uberti or F.L. Pietta, Ruger, or Pedersoli. That was a big deal to me, because I wanted to buy a Pedersoli specifically for my rifle. They are the only online website that I could find that carrys it. I had e-mailed them asking if I could mail order one from Italy through them, only to be given a link to their webpage that had the specific rifle already for sale. They also carry every caliber you can think for the common rifles and pistols like the Kentucky rifle and such. I don't know of many places that even sell .32 caliber squirl guns, but they do.

They also have reviews of their products written by customers. I would read those as well. Then you will know if you are looking at a good item or not.

http://www.dixiegunworks.com/

Check them out. The manufactures I would recommend are Pedersoli, Ruger, Uberti, and Pietta in that order. All three are Italian reproduction companies, while Ruger has revolvers that are similar to classic Remingtons. Stay away from Pedratti & Sons and the Spanish guns.