The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old February 7, 2006, 05:35 PM   #1
Urban

Canadian wondering about American Antique firearm laws

In Texas, do you have to be over a certain age to aquire an antique (pre 1898) firearm? I know American laws vary from state to state.

Oh yes, and is there anyone here that would like to make some extra cash by helping me import a Antique firearm to Canada?
This is completely legal, so you wont get in trouble. I also have official goverment documentation stating it is legal to do so , if you do not trust me.

anyhelp regarding this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
-Tony
Old February 7, 2006, 07:51 PM   #2
Old Dragoon

I have exported an Antique Remingtom Rolling block Rifle into Canada. It is a hassle from both ends, but worth the trouble for those that want tto do it. I just had trouble getting the correct funds in the correct amount because Western Union employs people that do not speak english or understand it well. All in all it was a good deal but the shippg cost were prohibitive and so were the phone calls, I didn't make very much at all on the deal after figuring the costs. Perhaps someone in the business (bp Gun sales) can help you.
I don't know the laws of Texas but I think Federally you have to be 18 years of age to buy a BP firearm..
Old February 7, 2006, 09:53 PM   #3
mec

This has not always been the case but current texas law as summariced in Ch 46 of the Penal code defines firearms and handguns. A non-cartridge firing replica of a weapon made before 1898 is specifically excluded from the definition and is not a "firearm". A handgun is defined as a 'firearm that...." It must first be a firearm before it can be a handgun.

Try walking down the street wearing a percussion revolver and the letter of the law might not be of much immediate help.

Cartridge arms of whatever vintage however, are considered firearms .
Old February 8, 2006, 10:49 PM   #4
gmatov

Mec,

I think it really says that cartidge arms, replicas of arms mase before 1898, which employ a not readily available cartridge, are NOT "firearms". .41 RF, for instance. That is the BATFE stance, Texas, who knows, along with Illinois, New Jersey, New York, Mass., and Kalifornia.

I think I can see why OD wants to emigrate back into the Union.

Tony, not to denigrate you, but, unless you are at the Polar Circle, if you have papers allowing you to buy and import a replica firearm, why do you not just hop across the border and buy one?

I don't know which end of Canada you are from, but Cabela's has at least 3 stores in Minnesota, I think that is a border state, is it not?

I'd rather you do that than ensnare some poor soul here trying to do a BP shooter a favor, even for "a little money".

Cheers,

George