The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old December 28, 2005, 12:52 PM   #1
AMT8951

A few Questions

Whats the difference between IPSC and IDPA? What equipment would I need to start off? Could I use a stock weapon like a SigPro 2340?
RIA Midsize .45acp
Glock 21
Olympic Arms M4
Win M70 .375 H&H
FN PBR .308
Win M69A .22
Mini-14
Ithica M37 Deerslayer 12ga
Remington 721 30/06
Old December 28, 2005, 02:10 PM   #2
Jim Watson

There are a lot of detail differences, but I think IDPA is what IPSC was about 1980. People will tell you that one or the other is superior but what really matters is which is conveniently located to you and, if both, which local outfit treats you nicer. You can read the rules and some background at
www.uspsa.org
www.idpa.com

Any of the handguns that you inventory for the convenience of the gun grabbers and burglars will do just fine. Gun, holster, magazines (speedloaders), ammo carriers, eye and ear protection, and a concealment garment for IDPA.
Old December 28, 2005, 04:09 PM   #3
RickB

Ditto what Jim said. You'll find naysayers who think one is "better" than the other, and I'd recommend you ignore them both.
Old December 28, 2005, 10:13 PM   #4
Ken O

There are other shoots also, like Steel Challenge, ICORE, Bowling pin shoots, etc. Find whats close to you and shoot. You spend a lot of money for the guns and gear, shoot as many events as you can.
But for your question, IDPA is more restrictive in the gear like holsters, you have to have concealment clothing etc. In ISPC anything goes. If you shoot both, gear up for IDPA and you are legal for IPSC also.
Both started up to be training for defensive situations. To me they are just games and a lot of fun.