The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 27, 2014, 10:48 PM   #1
Shooter2675

Small Scratches and Dents on Brass

Yes, I know people have asked similar questions, but haven't found anything about scratches similar to mine. I will have to file my AR-15's bolt a little to remove the burrs, but I have over 100 empty brass and would like to know if I can use them. I will attach a picture tomorrow morning if you need it, but the file size limit of 241 kb really limits the quality of pictures I can post. To visually describe the scratches, they are maybe 2-3 mm long and only .2 to .4 mm wide. They aren't very deep but can be felt if I rub my fingernail over them. I have shot factory cases like this before, but want to know if they are safe to shoot an reload.

John
Old December 27, 2014, 11:44 PM   #2
Vance

I use photobucket to hold my pictures and use the image code link to post them in a post here. You can still see the picture here, but the picture is on someone elses servers.

www.photobucket.com
Old December 28, 2014, 06:41 AM   #3
Bart B.

The link above took me to my pictures on Photobucket. I think the link you pasted in your post was for the main web site. The site's server read my source code in the data stream, read my identifier then went into my page file; just like it does when I log into the site directly. You should edit your post by deleting the link. Then post Photobucket's source code specifically for your pictures you uploaded to it.

Meanwhile, those issues in your cases might be caused by them bouncing off something on the rifle after being ejected.

Last edited by Bart B.; December 28, 2014 at 06:50 AM.
Old December 28, 2014, 10:00 AM   #4
Shooter2675

Thank you Bart. Late today when I have time I will post pictures, but for now I Will take a look at my AR-15 and see what might be causing them. One more question about reloading supplies, I got a .223 case stuck in my Hornady die using their one shot lube and I didn't realize it at first so I pulled the handle down (albeit a little firm) and it ripped off the bottom of the case! I tried everything to get it out, but it still remains stuck. I think I'm gonna call Hornady and see if they can send me a new one. In the mean time, what do you think is the best lubricant for thr brass? And should I put lube on the outside of the shoulders/neck and on the inside (like I have been doing) or is the inside unnecessary? Just so you know, my die is a decapping and expanding die.

John
Old December 28, 2014, 11:26 AM   #5
Bart B.

I'd send the die back to Hornady for them to fix.

I think all the outside of cases except the head be lubed but no lube outside the case. A thin coat of STP engine oil treatment is very good for case lube.
Old December 28, 2014, 02:09 PM   #6
Vance

It was my intention to give the link to photobucket in case he didn't know it. Photobucket goes to my pictures also when I click on the link.
I understand about putting in the source code.
Old December 28, 2014, 03:35 PM   #7
Shooter2675

Bart,

Thank you for your help. I will send it back to Hornady for them to fix. You said, "I think all the outside of cases except the head be lubed but no lube outside the case", and I think that was a typo Becuase you contradicted yourself. Did you mean to say no lube inside the case?

John