The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old March 28, 2012, 12:45 AM   #1
IDAHOMIKE

My first attempt at a "distressed" holster.

At the urging of Beagle333, I finally managed to build a distressed holster, which I have named the "333" as it was his idea to begin with. It was suprisingly hard to make it look beat up. I know y'all like pics so here ya' go! Let's hear what y'all think.

[IMG][/IMG]

Old March 28, 2012, 02:44 AM   #2
deerslayer303

Well Mike,
I LIKEY!! But just a little constructive criticism. I think maybe it would look "more beat up" with a light finish to the leather. Then in theory wouldn't the "scars" be darker in color? Just a thought! And I see that Navy is getting put to good use! Good Stuff
Old March 28, 2012, 06:24 AM   #3
mykeal

Very nicely done.
Old March 28, 2012, 06:51 AM   #4
Doc Hoy

Sheeesh!...Why would you

.....Take all that time to make a perfectly good holster and then ruin it!?

Just kidding.....Just kidding....

I admire you. Leatherwork is not one of the things I am able to do well. I have a project I need to tackle but I am terrified I will kill myself in the process.

Nice looking (ruined) holster.

Tnx,
Old March 28, 2012, 08:45 AM   #5
smokepole14

Very nice Very nice, thats fine craftsmanship right there. So how did you put the scratches on it to give it the old look? I'm just a tad bit curious, might do me one like it.
Old March 28, 2012, 09:31 AM   #6
rclark

Time for a new holster looks to me . But still serviceable. Sign of the times that we have 'distress' a holster, when it used to be 'distressed' by simple wear and tear through 'use' .
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.
Old March 28, 2012, 11:36 AM   #7
TomADC

Mike that just plain works!!
Old March 28, 2012, 02:21 PM   #8
Legionnaire

Well, I'll play the contrarian. I like the look. But it doesn't look "worn" to me. The pattern looks too regular ... as if intentionally "distressed" rather than the look it would get if "well used." Maybe that's the look you wanted. My preference would be more toward a holster that showed signs of regular and rough use, but still lovingly cared for. I think that would suggest a modest working man's rig, scuffed at the toe, maybe some scratches from the occasional briar (which would tend most likely to east-west), etc.

Your leather working skills are far superior to mine (non-existent), so I probably shouldn't be talking. But you asked. My opinion, of course, is worth what you paid for it.
Old March 28, 2012, 03:49 PM   #9
Hawg

Quote:
Well, I'll play the contrarian. I like the look. But it doesn't look "worn" to me.
Yeah, it's a lil too much for my taste. This one was mistreated, uncared for and has taken more abuse than most holsters will in 50 years. The white spots are where it had square Ronco studs in it a buncha years ago.

Old March 28, 2012, 07:01 PM   #10
IDAHOMIKE

I appreciate everyone's feedback. I had the feeling it looked too regular as well. To "age" it, I threw it in the driveway and ran it over a bit with the Gator, beat the edges on a cement post,then tried to add random toolmarks, scratches, etc. If I could do it again, I think I'd do the running over, use a lighter stain, and do without the tool marks. I kinda figured this wouldn't be everyones cup o' tea, but again I appreciate all the feedback.
Old March 28, 2012, 10:21 PM   #11
Hellgate

It looks "rustic" to me.
SASS#3302 (Life), SASS Regulator, NRA (Life), Dirty Gamey Bastards #129
Wolverton Mtn. Peacekeepers (WA), former Orygun Cowboy (Ranger, Posse from Hell)
Old March 29, 2012, 12:03 AM   #12
arcticap

Con: A few too many pockmarks/puncture marks, makes it look like it went through a patch of briers, thorns or cacti instead of an occasional run in with a strand of barbed wire.

Pro: I really like how dark the stain is and the color of it. On this particular holster, the dark stain is a saving grace from the large number of scars.

I think that the mild dents/depressions in the leather look better than the razor cuts, slices and puncture holes.

How it looks grows on you. Good job overall Mike!

Last edited by arcticap; March 29, 2012 at 12:19 AM.
Old March 29, 2012, 01:53 AM   #13
IDAHOMIKE

I agree that the puncture marks may be a bit much. I too like the depressions and the color. Maybe the degree of damage could be a factory option.
Old March 29, 2012, 07:04 AM   #14
ZVP

Nice job!

I never learned the art of leatherworking and I respect your talents plus the additional thought that went into properlly distressing theholster.
You can get some good image of aged holsters in the book "Packing Iron"
ZVP
Old March 29, 2012, 07:29 PM   #15
IDAHOMIKE

Thanks ZVP. I've been meaning to pick up a copy of that, just haven't gotten around to it.
Old April 2, 2012, 08:26 AM   #16
madcratebuilder

Looks like it needs a Valium to me. Very well done.