The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old January 30, 2009, 09:14 AM   #26
Qtiphky

My Experience

First, a .223 Rem and 5.56x45 are the same thing. I reload my own rounds and they are identical, one is military terminology and the other is civilian. They both shoot a .224 diameter bullet at really high velocities. When you reload your own the variety of types of "bullets" you can load is endless. You can load bullets from 32 grains up to 89 grains and everywhere in between. My guns are 1:9 twist and don't like anything over 55 grains for some reason, even though the 1:9 should be able to go up to 75 grains without a problem.

I have tried the wolf steel .223 in my Aramalite AR180B and it did not like it. I had many of the steel cases get stuck in the chamber and had to either slam the gun down to get them out or use a cleaning rod and push them back. I have never had that problem with brass cases and therefore I won't use the wolf in that gun or my Bushmaster. However, my Ruger Mini-14 has no problem with the wolf steel cased ammo. The large number I purchased will be used through that gun and I have no problems at all. In fact, that ammo out of a Ranch Mini-14 shoots 2" groups at 100 yards all day. A lot of people say that that is unheard of for a Mini but it works for my application and uses that ammo reliably.

For my Bushmaster and Armalite, I reload my own and they are extremely accurate guns. When I use factory ammo, the pattern loosens up a little, but still is under 2 at 100.
Old February 1, 2009, 09:45 AM   #27
Locoweed

Over on AR15Armory.Com there is a sticky warning against using Remington-UMC in ARs. It does not give the reason why but from other threads I have gathered that it doesn't properly work the action and may cause extraction/ejection problems. I've used a little of it myself and had no problems. I tend to buy Federal or PMC. The main objection to Wolf ammo is that it is dirty for reasons mentioned above.
Old February 1, 2009, 03:03 PM   #28
kirkcdl

I'll shoot Wolf Polymer coated ammo,but for the same price I can get Silver Bear,which is nickel plated steel cased.As far as the "steel cases damage your gun" theory,the steel in the casing is much softer than the steel in any part of your gun.I do not shoot 1000 rds a month,so I'm not going to worry about it.I'll be long dead and buried before my gun shows damage from steel cased ammo...Strictly my opinion,and worth every penny that was paid for it...
Old February 1, 2009, 04:03 PM   #29
2amencw

ar ammo

my position is this, go buy a box of each brand that you can afford. shoot and clean in between. Dont target shoot, but shoot as though your life depended on it. which ever one works the best, buy as much as you can afford. be sure to do a thorough break in before you do this test. and lube properly!!!! no wd 40
Old February 4, 2009, 08:54 PM   #30
Rourke

I appreciate everyone's opinion here - very helpful!!!!

Keep it coming - good thread.

Thanks a again - Rourke

Tags
ammunition , ar-15