The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old December 14, 2008, 09:58 AM   #1
bswiv

Detest hogs if you must but........

Wish I had pictures from the finished product, which came off the grill you can see in the background of one of the pictures. After a healthy dose of rub and about 8 hours of smoke Mr. Pig made 60+ folks very appreciative for his given life!

The big one ( Shot by my buddy Sam who is in the picture. ) was caught about 14 months ago and "cut". Note the bobbed tail and lack of important male structures. Let go back on the lease he was shot Tuesday evening.

What is interesting is, if you look carefully, you can see how small relative to his overall size his hoves are. While he was a big hog fact is he was not a old hog. The lact of certian hormones made him put on a great amount of fat while his underlying body was still that of a medium sized wild hog.

And for what it is worth our hogs here in NE FL this year are showing a very low fat content. Harldy any fat on any of them, except this guy.

I know a number of you don't view wild hogs as other than vermin but the folks who hold the lease this one was shot on manage the hogs much as some would manage deer. Except they manage for eating quality and not horns. And I'll tell you he was fine eating!!!

As a afterthought here is a little something Sam wrote and posted above the grill last night..........kind of amusing.....

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Twas the weekend before the Christmas party and all through the woods not a creature was stirring like we knew that they should.
The corn was spread the swamps with care, in hopes that miss piggy soon would be there.
The hunters were nestled all snug in their stands with visions of pork sandwiches soon in their hands.
And Pete in his hoodie and I in my cap, had climbed to our stands for a short pre hunt nap.
When out of the pines there arose such a clatter, I sprang from my snooze to see what was the matter.
My trusty Marlin was up in a flash, the .35 slug dispatched it right fast.
The light on the back of the new fallen beast gave lustre to the tusks of object beneath.
Then what to my wondering eyes should appear, but a bobbed tail with no nads at the rear.
With just the right heat, some sauce and some seasoning, I knew in a flash it would be good eatin'.
More rapidly than beagles the hunters they came, I texted I phoned I called them by name.
Come Paul, come Pete, and don't forget Nick, let's get this pig to the shed and cleaned up right quick.
We heaved and we ho'd, we loaded the beast, then off to Petes house to carve up for the feast.
We toiled in the night, Pete's back was a achin, the pain it was fleetin' with the promise of bacon.
Now were here at the party, the pig he's a roastin', with people all round and friends we're a toastin'.
But let's not forget our guest, so delicious and plump, who appeared so conveniently from behind a stump.
Cuz I swore I heard him say, before I put out his lights,
Happy Christmas to all, and to all a good night.
Old December 14, 2008, 10:13 AM   #2
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Yes the Barr (barrow) is the plumpest of hogs... And no fighting over sows means he won't be loaded with testosterone and gamey tasting.
And the poetry is great especially on short time!
I think I got a black eye from my tongue flapping!
Brent
Old December 14, 2008, 10:43 AM   #3
texfar

Great post! I don't detest them at all. The places I hunt detest them. I first put meat in the boxes them go after the big bad boys and mommas. The big hogs I shot on the lease were pretty nasty, but the ones in the range up to about 200 pounds.......Oh man. I made it a point to skin out everything then whack off a chunk and grill/cook it on the spot. If it tasted good, on with the slaughter, if not, yote breakfast. Simple for me.
Old December 14, 2008, 10:55 AM   #4
45Marlin carbine

good post, clean, healthy looking hog. amazing how the hair fills out on the wild ones ain't it.
good poetry too! Ha!
Old December 14, 2008, 11:06 AM   #5
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

45, Yeah when folks think pig they don't realize some have hair you get a hand full of to help toss them on their side or to hold onto if the hole catch goes south in a hurry and you end up on the defense!
Brent
Old December 14, 2008, 11:18 AM   #6
fisherman66

Quote:
I know a number of you don't view wild hogs as other than vermin but the folks who hold the lease this one was shot on manage the hogs much as some would manage deer. Except they manage for eating quality and not horns. And I'll tell you he was fine eating!!!
I love eatin' hog. Right now I have a freezer full of deer and need some pork to even things out. I've seen the destruction feral pigs can do to pasture and roads. The things breed like the proverbial bunny. I don't detest the hog, I eat the hog (bore, sow or piglet). It is what it is. I've been asked to kill all I can. Nice gig fer me.
Old December 14, 2008, 02:22 PM   #7
Bogardi

Woah that is a monster, I liked the story afterwards
Old December 14, 2008, 09:43 PM   #8
Rmart30

the club Im in actually manages them... couldnt believe it when they told me that when I joined them. Most around here want any pig killed on site no matter what size.

Their reason for not wiping them out is the hogs here are mixed in with pure russians that were brought in 30 years ago. They dont look like most feral pigs, these are a reddish color and fully covered with 4" hair. They usually have a cpl of hunting videos done there every 2 or 3 years on them.
Old December 15, 2008, 10:39 AM   #9
Cigar

Quote:
Harldy any fat on any of them, except this guy.
Somehow I must be a relative to this hog..

John
Old December 15, 2008, 10:59 AM   #10
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I would say being turned into a barr hog is "relative to this hog"
That hog probably yielded enuff bacon to be worth smoked and sliced. Most wild hogs boar or sow will not have enuff for me to make it worth it to me. Barr hogs do grow much better. Any meat hog has been castrated. If I have spots where I can release a caught hog or 2 to try to target later, than I will cut 60-75 pound boars and in a year they are a good size and flavor.
Brent
Old December 15, 2008, 11:27 AM   #11
stephen426

Good hunting and great poetry! You should submit it to some magazines and see if it gets published. I think some actually pay if they publish it.
Old December 15, 2008, 11:43 AM   #12
fisherman66

Quote:
Any meat hog has been castrated. If I have spots where I can release a caught hog or 2 to try to target later, than I will cut 60-75 pound boars and in a year they are a good size and flavor.
Forgive this cityslicker for asking a dumb question, but how does the castration process work aside from the obvious? Any antibiotics or dressing after the knife work is done? I have a friend of a friend who pens "steered" feral pigs and grain feeds them for a month before butchering. I like the bird in the hand idea, but I don't think the city would like a hairy boar in my duplex's tiny backyard.
Old December 15, 2008, 12:28 PM   #13
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I have been hunting with guys that give one shot of penicillin. And I think "dex" as well which combats the stress of "surgery". A vertical slit for the "boyz" to pop out and be cut loose. Some dressing may or may not be utilized... just depends on who is "the surgeon"... Then turn them loose.
Brent
Old December 15, 2008, 01:20 PM   #14
armedtotheteeth

If that had had the rest of his male decorative bits, he would not be any good to eat. Never had one that had been altered in that way. Nice hog though. They dont usually get that big here. On occasion they do, but usually they get lead injections before that point.