The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 17, 2011, 10:58 PM   #1
kmaldona

Tumbling Questionslo

I just got a Franklin Arsenal Tumbler and I added about 500ish rounds of 9mm and about 3lbs of meida and it does not tumble like in some videos. It slowly rotates around but not tumbling by any means. Is this not enough media or too much?
Old November 17, 2011, 11:08 PM   #2
jepp2

I use Lyman tumbers - have 3 - so I don't know the capacity of yours. But I start with mine by just adding the media. I watch until I get the maximum turnover. Too little doesn't give the same movement. Normally about 2/3 full when turned off. After that I add brass. I you use the Lyman tables and know your media in pounds, they will give you the brass capacity. Lyman capacity
Old November 17, 2011, 11:27 PM   #3
lamarw

It sounds like a lot of brass, but we do not know the size of your unit. I generally put about half the quanity of brass you mentioned, but I have a medium size Lyman.

Do you have instructions for your unit and know the recommended brass quanity by brass size?

You will burn your motor up if it is overloaded.
Old November 17, 2011, 11:31 PM   #4
kmaldona

Its says it holds 600 9mm cases
Old November 18, 2011, 12:06 AM   #5
Orochimaru

I have the same tumbler, and in my opinion the capacity that they list is somewhat ambitious relative to its real capacity.

It will probably hold that number of cases, but you won't get much movement and cleaning will be a slow process.

I have found that it is actually quicker to do a handful of smaller batches than one or two gigantic ones. With good movement, decent media, and decent additive (NuFinish, or something similar), cases get very clean fairly quickly. I've had small batches get to darn-near-new condition in 30-45 minutes.

Your mileage may vary, of course, but I'd try reducing the quantity to 300 or so and see if you get good movement.
Old November 18, 2011, 12:22 AM   #6
kmaldona

I lowered my case total and i am still not getting fast movement or tumbling. Just vibrating.
Old November 18, 2011, 12:35 AM   #7
Josh45

Try lowering your case count again by another 50-100 and see what the results are then. I had to tumble about 400 pieces of 38 special and add quite a bit of media because there wasnt enough for it to tumble right.

As soon as you start it, Wait for it to look like the media falls in to the center. If you can see the brass still by a huge amount, Then add more media. If you can't, then you should be ok.
Old November 18, 2011, 12:44 AM   #8
kmaldona

I was watching youtube videos of what it should look like and it doesnt have much movement. I tried few cases and lots of media. Few cases little media, etc.. Cant get it.
Old November 18, 2011, 12:54 AM   #9
Josh45

That's odd? Try only about 250 cases or so, with the lid off, let tumble and within a few seconds you should see wether you need more media or not.

If no matter what you do does not work, I would call the mfgr or the store you bought it from and try to get it repaired or replaced.
Old November 18, 2011, 08:36 AM   #10
Macol

Also, make sure your tumbler is on a solid surface. Try it on concrete or a hard floor to see if that makes a difference.
Old November 18, 2011, 09:03 PM   #11
BDS-THR

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmaldona
I was watching youtube videos of what it should look like and it doesnt have much movement. I tried few cases and lots of media. Few cases little media, etc.. Cant get it.
Your motor may be weak or defective - I would call the vendor for an exchange or return.

I have both old and new FA tumblers and about 400-500 9mm cases is the capacity before the vibratory tumbling action slows down significantly.

I also have Berry's tumbler and although the listed capacity is 1000 9mm cases, 800 cases tumble fast. With fine walnut media and NuFinish polish, it takes about 20-30 minutes to clean most indoor range brass with a light polish good enough to reload. 1+ hour in corn cob media and NuFinish will produce brilliant polish.
Old November 19, 2011, 12:01 PM   #12
swmike

The term "Tumbler" is a bit of a misnomer. They are really "Vibrators" and any tumbling action is a side effect.

Check to see that there is nothing between the case and base that would hamper the free movement on the springs. Also make sure that the unit is on a solid surface otherwise a good amount of the vibration will be soaked up before it gets to the bowl.

"In God we trust, all others are suspects."

"If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying, either I won't need any more, or more won't be of any help".