The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old January 29, 2011, 07:01 PM   #1
capflyboy05

Hearing protection.

Do you use earplugs, a headset, or both?
Personally, I'd rather use just earplugs.
But is it safe?
The ones I have reduce the sound 31 decibels.
I'm just assuming thats normal.
But I just wanted to see.
Old January 29, 2011, 08:48 PM   #2
PokeyPokeyPokey

I tried ear plugs and just didn't like them. I'm sure they are safe to use, it's just a matter of personal preference. I purchased earmuffs recently and am sure I will be much more comfortable with them. Some people probably only use double-protection...others plugs...others earmuffs. Just all depends on what you like.
Old January 29, 2011, 08:57 PM   #3
Fargazer

I use the Peltor Tactical Pro electronic muffs, and just recently started doubling up with concert earplugs. Doubling up with normal high NRR foam earplugs block everything, including the normal sounds, which defeats the purpose of electronic muffs. The concert earplugs take the edge off the really loud blasts (like the .44 and .500 Mags), but still let me hear a normal conversation.
Old January 29, 2011, 10:26 PM   #4
Cheapshooter

I can't keep the ear plugs in, and they bother me. Electronic muffs.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old January 29, 2011, 11:05 PM   #5
k4swb

I shoot outside. When shooting rifles and shotguns I use plugs. Handguns, I use muffs. If I were to shoot indoors I'd probably use both.
Old January 30, 2011, 02:15 AM   #6
Ideal Tool

Hello,capflyboy05. I only use plugs with rimfires & Hornet..anything larger & my ears tell me! Yes I double up..especially if not alone at range..too easy to pull muffs off if hot & get nasty surprise when someone lets one off.
One thing that does disturb me though..our private club has mandatory ear protection..but nothing is said about eye protection. This makes no sense..While you certainly can have hearing damage from a single gunshot..it usually is cumulative...wheras a blown primer, defective case, or burning powder grain can take out your eyesight in a milisecond! I see people shooting all the time without it..Me..I don't have the guts to pull a trigger without glasses.

Last edited by Ideal Tool; January 30, 2011 at 02:21 AM.
Old January 30, 2011, 06:35 AM   #7
capflyboy05

Thats a good way to be.
I cant shoot either without both "eyes and ears."
Actually, I cant imagine shooting without eye protection.
It even bugs me when friends play airsoft without glasses on.
When I've played, glasses have saved me 3 times, in a few years.
Even though it's rare, it still happens.
That goes with real shooting too.
I do the same thing you do also.
Plugs with my .22 and if I shoot anything bigger, I use a headset.
I feel thats sufficient enough.
Thanks for the input everyone!
Old January 30, 2011, 08:58 AM   #8
Rifleman1776

Silcone expanding ear plugs most of the time.
Muffs occasionally when at a range. Sometimes use both.
I keep a set of plugs in my pocket in case I find myself in some really noisy environment.
Wore then when I had my farm and was using tractor, chain saw, etc.
They are a 'must' when shooting my Redhawk .44 mag. Shoot without and ears ring painfully for a couple days.
Would like to have a set of the Wolf Ears type plugs/aids. They just don't fit budget yet.
Old January 30, 2011, 09:04 AM   #9
therealdeal

earplugs and headset is the way to go for me

"Abraham Lincoln freed all men, but Sam Colt made them all equal." (post Civil War slogan)
Old January 30, 2011, 05:19 PM   #10
mycrobyte

Expanding plugs + a quality earmuff. The bursts can get quite loud on the range and you want to keep those ears working into your golden years..

what? I can't hear ya....
Old January 30, 2011, 05:48 PM   #11
capflyboy05

I know my original post was about hearing protection.
What about eye protection?
Does any kind of plastic safety glasses work?
Or do you all have personal brands/types that you like more?
I see ones with yellow lenses alot.
I think that would just bug me... haha
Old January 30, 2011, 06:12 PM   #12
Double Naught Spy

I wear both. The nice thing about wearing both is that if one set has a problem, the other usually doesn't. For example, you can forget to cover your ears with muffs until the shooting starts and that isn't pleasant if you aren't wearing plugs. Or, plugs sometimes manage to work loose (I have tried numerous brands and sooner or later they all work loose). It is a bummer when one pops out while you are firing.
Old January 30, 2011, 09:45 PM   #13
BigPoppa

Both
Old January 30, 2011, 10:55 PM   #14
Carter

When I first started shooting I used only earplugs. They tended to get rattled out by my shooting buddies M1a SOCOM though. That thing is unholy loud.
I also had hearing loss for a few days afterwards.

I quickly switched to ear muffs from walmart.

Now I use Howard Lite electronic ear muffs. They are amazing. Shots get muffled and flies sound like motorcycles. Its kind of odd at first, but its neat to be able to talk normally while someone is blasting away.
Old January 30, 2011, 11:20 PM   #15
racine

Both!

Especially when shooting long guns. Pistols in competition are loud as well especially those open guns with muzzle brakes. My plugs are rated to 31db and I'm informed by hearing docs that adding muffs adds at least another 5db of protection. Shotguns, compensated rifles like 556 & 308 are very loud to my ears. My next door neighbor is an ex-11B who's idea of ear protection is cigarette butts in each ear and sometimes nothing at all. No surprise when his son tells mine his daddy's going deaf ( at 38!). Two friends of mine competed in sporting clays and skeet from an early age and neither used earplugs. One guy is 95% deaf with $4K hearing aids and had to retire at 60+ and has learned to read lips. The other guy stopped shooting at 30 and is now an executive but has permanent hearing loss as well. I use my hearing for my work and though in the beginning a few guys made fun of me double plugging, it's now a common practice in competitive pistol/3gun matches.
Old January 30, 2011, 11:49 PM   #16
SIGSHR

Indoors. plugs and muffs. Outdoors, prefer plugs and muffs, well fitting plugs will do.
Old January 31, 2011, 07:33 PM   #17
bigautomatic

The cost of good hearing protection is a drop of water in a barrel if compared to the cost of a decent hearing aid. If you don't use the prior, you will be paying for the latter. I was unfortunate (and ignorant) (or unfortunately ignorant)while growing up when it came to hearing protection, and am now paying the price at 42 years of age. Not fun watching my little girls lips move or bending over so that my best ear is right in her face to figure out what she is saying. Needless to say I now double up for pretty much anything.
Old January 31, 2011, 07:53 PM   #18
rdmallory

Quote:
The cost of good hearing protection is a drop of water in a barrel if compared to the cost of a decent hearing aid
That's for sure. $4200 for aids this year sure would of bought a lot ammo.

To many hours growing up in a plane, race car and shooting without protection had my hearing gone at 30.
Old January 31, 2011, 11:51 PM   #19
Dr. Strangelove

I wear both plugs and muffs, first because of the sound reduction, and second because I find that muffs alone are irritating to me. I get a weird amplification of heartbeat and breathing noise with muffs if I don't also wear plugs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ideal Tool
One thing that does disturb me though..our private club has mandatory ear protection..but nothing is said about eye protection. This makes no sense..While you certainly can have hearing damage from a single gunshot..it usually is cumulative...wheras a blown primer, defective case, or burning powder grain can take out your eyesight in a milisecond! I see people shooting all the time without it..Me..I don't have the guts to pull a trigger without glasses.
My private range requires both as well, but I see folks shooting with only ear protection frequently. Usually their eye protection is sitting on the bench next to them.

I don't believe it to be a purposeful violation of the rules, it's just easy to forget to put eye protection back on after looking through a spotting scope or similar. I've done it myself on several occasions. (Doesn't make it right, I'm just saying it's easy to do...)
Old February 8, 2011, 12:36 AM   #20

I have lost noticable hearing and I know it was from years of using no protection. Now I use both, even if it's just cotton in the ears. I have had guys laugh about it on the shooting line after cease fire but have since seen some of em exercise the same practice. Once gone it doesn't come back.
Old February 8, 2011, 12:48 PM   #21
jna142

I use the ESP. pour in ear plugs. They mold the inside of your ear for a perfict fit and they dont get uncomfortable after wearing them. they are a little spendy but worth the money. They start at around 75 dollars.
Old February 8, 2011, 12:51 PM   #22
microman

Quote:
Do you use earplugs, a headset, or both?
I wear ear plugs and muffs
Old February 8, 2011, 12:55 PM   #23
hikingman

To me, the use of plugs is like hoping that a very loud BOOM can't penetrate any of the area on/around your ear to be 'heard' by the eardrum. This would be in spite of the plug that you've stuck in the canal.

An over-the-ear type of protection would seem to do a more adequate job.

The Peltor Tactical 6S without plugs underneath-does the job for me! And, the microphones allow a conversation with someone, without taking a chance on hearing BOOM.
Old February 8, 2011, 01:03 PM   #24
sirsloop

Depends on what I am shooting.

For pistols only I just use muffs.

For rifles and shotguns I will wear muffs but I double up my right ear with a plug. I find that sometimes my cheek weld will lift the muff which results in zero protection.

If its cold out and Im wearing a hat/hoodie... I wear plugs without muffs. Just gotta make sure you really get a good seat on your plugs.
Old February 8, 2011, 01:05 PM   #25
kymarkh

I use foam plugs along with a set of amplified muffs, even when outdoors. Can't be too careful with your hearing.