The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

View Poll Results: How often do you carry ? Please pick the closest match to you.
24/7 - Usually when "out and about." 75 82.42%
Occasionally OR usually but it tends to stay in my vehicle/briefcase/etc. 13 14.29%
Rarely 3 3.30%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Old February 16, 2009, 06:28 PM   #1
JasonG

Carry 24/7 percentage ?

How many of you carry pretty much all the time? When legal of course etc.
Not talking in shower etc. We've been down that road before. (Flashback of "Wildalaska" in his shorts and sidearm, shivveerrr)
About 10% of the USA is permitted. What percent of them carry regularly?
I'm sure this board full of "gun nuts" will have higher than average %.
Any idea what the national avg is?
"Bones, what killed him ?" "Acute lead poisoning Jim....." ST-TOS#61
Old February 16, 2009, 06:38 PM   #2
Russ5924

If I have my pants on I have at least a Kel-tec .380 in my pocket. I go out I have a S&W J-frame or a Glock 19Had to break down and get a Glock was starting to fell outgunned?
Old February 16, 2009, 06:47 PM   #3
dabigguns357

The only time i don't have a gun on is when i'm at work but even then i keep it in the car and when i leave the parking lot for lunch i put it between the seat and console in a cheap holster.
Old February 16, 2009, 07:12 PM   #4
mrt949

Always when out even at work .the owner is a big gun person.
Old February 16, 2009, 07:37 PM   #5
VHinch

All day everyday, everywhere it's legal, and usually more than 1.
Old February 16, 2009, 08:15 PM   #6
KLRANGL

Unless im on campus, or at the post office, its on me... Dont have a job yet, so I cant say about that one :P
Old February 16, 2009, 08:36 PM   #7
TripIII

I work on an Army installation, so I do not carry to/at work. But my CCW goes on with my street clothes when I get home.
Old February 16, 2009, 08:36 PM   #8
troy_mclure

i cant cary at work, so theres months at a time i cant cary.
at my house theres a gun always within reach so even if theres not one on my person its available.
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
Old February 16, 2009, 08:53 PM   #9
JasonG

Quote:
troy_mclure i cant cary at work, so theres months at a time i cant cary.
at my house theres a gun always within reach so even if theres not one on my person its available.
OK, now thats definitely an option 2.
I'm trying to get a feel for "whenever I go out" VS. "eh, its around but its not convenient to have it on me"
I mean one can get fairly comfortable, but you still have a weight to carry around poking at your body. Lets not sidetrack on carry comfort, lets just say we accept the trade offs.
I mean really dedicate to carrying and as PAX says " it's my default setting".
We've all discussed this before, but never put a number to it.
Old February 17, 2009, 12:31 PM   #10
The Great Mahoo

I carry most of the time, but not always. I guess that makes me option 2. I do seem to be increasing the frequency these days, now that I have better gear.
Old February 17, 2009, 08:31 PM   #11
Deet

24/7 wherever it is legal. There are some gun nuts here, but BTW we also have quite a few anti gun members, or at least they always seem to show up on these threads to tell us how paranoid we are about "carrying" & keeping extra mags handy and for having multiple guns in our homes. Sometimes even some staff members lean that way, but for me I am a "gun nut".
Old February 17, 2009, 09:15 PM   #12
Bikhi

Every time I leave the house.
Old February 17, 2009, 09:22 PM   #13
Sand Rat

Within reach, mostly iwb, 95% of the time, when legal. Feel naked without it.
Old February 17, 2009, 10:03 PM   #14
mnhntr

what good is it too carry 50% of the time? i am a 99.9% person, and the only time i wont is too avoid breaking the law.
Old February 18, 2009, 03:23 AM   #15
chrisbarcelo

I always carry. But in malls where you have to deposit your gun in the counter, no.
Old February 18, 2009, 03:52 AM   #16
Huey Long

I have to carry openly because I don't have a CCP. Therefore, I only carry when I have to go out late at night when the streets are totally deserted. OCing everywhere you go in broad daylight is just too mall ninja-like, and it makes people think you're weird, even here in Arizona.
Old February 18, 2009, 11:32 PM   #17
armsmaster270

Everywhere I go even on some Military (A.F.-C.G.) Installations. At home if I am not wearing it it is within reach without getting up.
Old February 20, 2009, 07:10 AM   #18
JasonG

Quote:
I feel naked without it
So I'm not the only one. Always feel like I've got a "I'm unarmed" sign on my back after church.
Not many are weighing in on this poll. Do many of us enjoy guns and shooting, but when it comes down to it, do we get lazy?
How many have a CC permit to make puchasing easier or for "well when I go to an iffy area" ?
Old February 20, 2009, 08:01 AM   #19
nogoer

Well i felt i had to speak up with me being on the minority side of things. There is a caveat though, i'm pretty new to carrying and havn't adjusted to the "it's legal" aspect yet to carry very often. Even when i do though and i'm out i have a wife and kid with me, the wife doesn't quite see the need to be armed everywhere.

As for work, i dont think i'll ever carry there. I dont want to leave it in my desk drawer and i dont want to be labled "postal" if it's noticed on me. I also feel having a gun at work is pretty unecessary for the average person.

Living where i do i don't feel a need to protect myself that often. At home though i like to have it on me so i can feel proud in me being given the privaledge to carry if i want. So i voted option 3 Rarely since even when im used to it i will probably opt to not carry for most day to day excursions.
Old February 20, 2009, 10:54 AM   #20
andrewskaggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonG
So I'm not the only one. Always feel like I've got a "I'm unarmed" sign on my back after church.
Out of curiousity, what state do you live in? I'm thankful that in TN it's legal to carry in places of worship. Now...if we can just get the law changed to allow us to carry into restaurants that serve alcohol. (TN residents write your state senator in support of SB0084)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nogoer
Even when i do though and i'm out i have a wife and kid with me, the wife doesn't quite see the need to be armed everywhere.
A wife and child are among the best reasons to carry. My wife wasn't too crazy about me carrying all the time, but after a couple of break-ins at church and a murder outside a local bowling alley that we've been to many times (but probably won't go to again) she's starting to come around. Just be persistent and explain to her that you're not being paranoid...just prepared and that it's your duty to protect your family.
Old February 20, 2009, 11:13 AM   #21
crew

I don't know how you guys do it. A majority of posters here that say they carry "all the time....24/7.....whenever awake.....whenever I leave myproperty.... etc."

Even in my relatively gun-friendly state, i find that even if I want to carry more, it is virtually impossible.

I go to work -no carry allowed
I go to the mall - posted " no carry" ( happens to be the only mall in town)
I go to a movie - posted " no weapons"
I go to the Gym or YMCA - posted " no weapons":
I go to my kids events at school - obviously no carry. Cannot even leave gun locked in car.

This doesnt leave a lot of places that i have to be at that I could carry!!!
FRUSTRATING.Whats everyone elses experience with this?

Do you find that there are more "non carry" places than "carry friendly" places in your daily routine??
Old February 20, 2009, 11:28 AM   #22
armsmaster270

Crew:
If you don't mind what state are you in I'm in gun unfriendly CA and we don't have that problem other than San Francisco which is another Country altogether.
Old February 20, 2009, 11:34 AM   #23
duucfho

I'm new to carrying, and so far I've done it whenever it's legal. It basically can be found in one of 4 places at any given time:
  1. In the glovebox if i'm not home but can't have it on me (work, biking, etc)
  2. On me at all times when I am out and about
  3. In my pocket around the house
  4. Nightstand when sleeping
Old February 20, 2009, 11:36 AM   #24
rantingredneck

I carry 100% of the time where legal.

Here's how my daily routines break down:

1) Work - My company has a "no firearms in your possession while on duty" rule. What this boils down to in practice is "leave it in your car."

2) Post Office - I do a lot of selling/trading of stuff here and on other boards. As you can imagine I'm at the PO several times a week. PO has rule about no guns "on postal property". Well the 2 nearest post offices to my office have on street parking or are in a strip mall with a common parking lot. There you go, gun stays in truck.

3) School - I have an 8 year old daughter in elem school. Her school happens to be directly across the street from our church. I love a good walk. Will have to revamp this strategy in a few years when she moves up to a different school......

4) Movie theaters - Did I mention that I also have a 4 year old son and rarely get to see a movie these days? . Knew I bought that 42" plasma for a reason. On rare occasions that we go to the movies it stays in my truck.

5) Govt. buildings - Luckily for me all the govt buildings I have occasion to go into (courthouse, tax office, Sheriff's office, etc.) all have parking available nearby on the street. Again, take it off and leave it there.

6) Businesses - Most of the local businesses around here aren't posted. It's rare that I see a private business with a no carry sign unless they are already on the prohibited list in the state law (alcohol sold/consumed, admission charged, etc.) My gym is not posted, the local malls aren't, local stores, etc. Biggest burden here is that most of the restaurants I like also serve alcohol so again it stays in the car.

PCCA Member (What's PCCA you ask? <- Check the link)
Old February 20, 2009, 11:43 AM   #25
andrewskaggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by crew
Do you find that there are more "non carry" places than "carry friendly" places in your daily routine??
Being in a gun-friendly state, I don't have to alter my daily routine much to allow me to carry. Most business owners here are either gun-friendly or don't care enough to prohibit carrying.

Our mall does have no weapons signs posted at some entrances, and although I think I could get away with going in through an entrance without such signage, I choose to leave my handgun in the car (and usually disassemble it and stick the barrel in my pocket in case of a break in). I don't have to go to the mall much, however, so it's not a big deal.

The school thing is particularly annoying, however, as I love high school sports and my wife is a teacher. I usually don't carry at all when attending such events as leaving a gun (even a disassembled one) in a high school parking lot for hours at a time makes me nervous.