The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 20, 2002, 06:20 PM   #1
Blue Duck357

Jacketed versus lead powder charges

Looking over my old Speer manual I noticed the maximum powder charges for both 357 and 38 Special 158 grain lead SWC's are substantially lower than for the 158 grain jacketed bullets.

This is actually the reverse of what I assumed. I thought the lead bullets would actually lower the pressure in the same load as compared to a jacketed round???
Old August 20, 2002, 06:36 PM   #2
griz

Not sure if your manual falls into this catagory or not, but some books list less than max loads for lead bullets. I guess they are figuring that the lower velocities would reduce leading, and some have the notion that if you need maximum power you should use jacketed bullets. I don't subscribe to that belief myself.
Old August 20, 2002, 06:59 PM   #3
Jeeper

Exactly what was said above. A lot of the manuals only believe that lead should be shot at less than a certain velocity. That is where they max out their loads at.
Old August 20, 2002, 09:02 PM   #4
labgrade
Member In Memoriam

True & 'cause most major pistol bullet manufacturers (that have reloading manuals) didn't "bother" with anything lead other than swagged.

Push these puppies too fast & you'll very much get leading.
Old August 20, 2002, 10:32 PM   #5
Blue Duck357

Thanks guys!

I think your right on this, the manual (#10) seems really overly concerned about leading.

May I ask if there is any general consensus that if a load is listed as safe for a Jacketed bullet if it should also be safe for the same weight lead bullet?
Old August 21, 2002, 08:44 AM   #6
labgrade
Member In Memoriam

There's safe 'n safe, BlueDuck.

Push a jacketed bullet at 1200 fps & you're not even close to the bullet's capability. Do the same with most swagged leads & you'll likely have lead splatters out the bore. I know from experience.

I wouldn't say it's not safe tp push swagged lead this fast, but accuracy sucks & the clean-up isn't pretty.

A good hard-cast bullet though can be pushed right up there with the best jacketeds, IMO - in handguns anyway.

Quick addition/edit - I wouldn't substitute jacketed data with lead data, or visa versa. There's actual data for each freely available - use it.
Old August 21, 2002, 10:11 PM   #7
Cheapo

Watch It!!

Consult the Winchester and other reloading data that actually publishes the instrumental pressures for both lead and jacketed bullet loads WITH THE SAME POWDERS before you go off spreading myths.

And we'd better remember that there's more than likely a certain pressure "spike" or temperature variable or average vs peak pressure variability or other valid reason why the engineering types would stop at a "maximum" load that's maybe 3,000 PSI/CUP or Piezo or whatever measurement less than the SAAMI max for your cartridge.

It goes all over the place. I've seen anywhere from 0% to 7% LESS than the jacketed load being the max for lead. It _appears_ that you will often be sumpin' like 30-100 fps slower at max pressure with lead bullets vs. jacketed of equal bullet weight. But not always.