The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old January 30, 2013, 11:11 AM   #26
Mr_Jumper

5-6" barrels with small grip seems a bit counter-intuitive, at least as far as I know. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think I've seen that sized barrel 22LR pistols with small grips.

SW41, which is a great shooting gun btw, has long barrel but it's grip was definitely not small. Sames goes for MK's or Buckmark. Grip seemed perfect for me, but for someone with small hands, I can see that being a little bit of a problem.

Just my 2c.
Old January 30, 2013, 11:33 AM   #27
cal10

SR22 breaks down for cleaning in seconds, it's easy to shoot and it's accurate. Again it comes with 2 handgrips and 2 base plates along with 2 magazines, padlock, and case for $319.00. The M&P 22 is a full size, and the mark II, III' s are larger target pistols. SR22 blows the Walther P22 away, and it's made in America so customer serice "if you need it" is quick and I've heard nothing but good things about them. "You will love this pistol", everyone who's shot it wants one.
Old January 30, 2013, 04:59 PM   #28
sheepman

What is best for you is a personal decision that no one else can make for you. As I am moving out of state I have regecently thinded my guns down to the must keep only. For 22, have settled on a Ruger single Six as it will work with any 22 ammo avalible, 22 and mag with approperat cylinder. Have owned S&W. Colt, Ruger and high standard autos, all were good but were ammo sinsitive. The revolver will shoot all 22lr and magnum rounds with out jamming. For me best is the one that will work whith what I have on hand to shoot.
Old January 30, 2013, 06:04 PM   #29
Brian48

The only thing I don't like about my SR22 is that mags are a bit pricey, just like my Walther P22. Fun little range guns, but neither come with very long barrels.
Old January 30, 2013, 07:53 PM   #30
HistoryJunky

I'm probably really overemphasizing how small my hands are. I have a double stack 9mm Arcus 98DAC that I can reach the trigger in double action. I can probably reach the trigger on any .22 that isn't absolutely massive.

On top of that, in referring to a small grip, I mean the small in width. How long the grip is doesn't really bother me. I'm going around to the fun stores here locally to get an idea, probably tomorrow. Snow is paying us a visit here in Northern IL right now.

I've been eying the Heritage Rough Rider because it's pretty inexpensive, but I haven't been able to find any around here locally. The only inexpensive guns I see around here are Hi Points :P
Old January 30, 2013, 08:48 PM   #31
22-rimfire

My suggestion in approximately that price range is the Ruger Mark II or III. I vastly prefer the bull barrel. The Ruger 22/45 is excellent too with the bull barrel.

The Ruger SR-22P is a good little 22 pistol. Fits your budget. It's not a hunting gun or serious target gun, but a great plinking gun. I am really pleased with mine. But I already have a Mark II and quite a few other ones. So a plinker is fun to have. One needs to remember that the dominant use of most any 22 handgun is plinking.

Quote:
I've been eying the Heritage Rough Rider because it's pretty inexpensive
That's one I don't have. If you are thinking long term, I would go with a more expensive Ruger Single Six. You will be happier in the long run and won't want to replace it like you probably will the Rough Rider in a couple years after you really start enjoying shooting 22's.
Old January 30, 2013, 09:54 PM   #32
weblance

I have a lot of experience with 22 handguns. For your stated budget of $350, you wont find much in the NEW revolver category, so look to the Autoloaders. If you want a 5-6" barrel, and a decent grip, the Rugers are good, but some people, no matter how hard they try, are never happy with dis-reassembly process. Its not terrible, but there are other pistols that are much easier. The Beretta Neos for example, is very easy to field strip, and its a few dollars cheaper than the Rugers. I have 5 Ruger autoloading 22s, but am very fond of my Beretta 6" Neos. The Smith and Wesson 22a, and the Browning Buckmark are solid choices, the Smith being the lower cost of the two. The Ruger SR22P is a smaller pistol, a shorter barrel than you asked for, but does have 2 different sized grips that come with it at no extra cost. The Bersa Thunder 22 is well made, and equal in performance to the SR22P if you want to try something a little different. The comments from owners of the Walther P22 and the Sig Mosquito are not very good, reliability, and ammo sensitivity are the most common complaints, and I have no hands on experience with those 2 pistols.
Old January 31, 2013, 08:52 AM   #33
treg

My Buckmark has performed admirably for the past 25 years. Can't imagine the round count for that thing. It has seen many, many bricks and bulk packs. I'd often get a brick in Friday after work and have to run to town for another on Saturday so I could shoot Sunday.

Whatever fits your hand best between the Ruger Marks, 22/45 or a Buckmark, pick the one that fits your hand the best and you won't go wrong. These are proven designs that have evolved and passed the test of time. Although pricey the S&W M41 is a good pistol too.
Old January 31, 2013, 11:19 AM   #34
L_Killkenny

Quote:
I've been eying the Heritage Rough Rider because it's pretty inexpensive,
I've nothing against the Heritage revolvers in principle. I've handled and shot them and found them to go bang. Also I'm not generally the type to tell someone to save up some money and buy something better. But considering you are not stuck on a specific platform I can tell you that there are much better values in the .22lr world than the Heritage revolvers. When they were $100-$125, ok. Even $150, I can swallow that. But at the $175 and up prices I see em at today...... look elsewhere.