The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 9, 2012, 08:28 AM   #1
Pistolgripshotty

Impressed by a Hi-Point!

I have to say I actually like Hi-points.( WW I know) alot of people don't care for them because of what people say and the price of the firearm, but they are not as bad as they are labeled as. Most people bad mouth them and have never even shot one let alone owned one. Hi-points are not and I repeat are not for people who don't like to tinker with stuff and have basic firearm knowledge because work needs to be done to them post purchase before going to the range or anything. However it does have its flaws but if you get past them its a fun lil gun. Does any body else have a good experience with a Hi-Point???
Old October 9, 2012, 10:22 AM   #2
TailGator

Your opinion isn't as uncommon as you might think. Quite a few people report positive things here about the functionality of Hi-Points. I neither own one nor am I in the market for one, but I am glad that there is something available for folks who need a defensive handgun at a low price point. IOW, if it saves the life of a good person, ugly is OK with me.
Old October 9, 2012, 11:56 AM   #3
lapetrarca53

Picked up a brand new one in September. 300 rounds without a single error.

I like it.
Old October 9, 2012, 01:25 PM   #4
JasonJ

HiPoints

My suggestion is to try out their carbine rifles... their pistols are good (not great but not bad), fairly reliable despite what some may say, asthetically gross looking at times, but functional..

but their carbines on the other hand.. those always have been a good budget firearm. Many like the ATI stock, its an awesome looking stock, but has some long term function issues.. but the new factory stock is very nice and tactical with tons of rails and adjustment points.

I have the older 9mm carbine, its very accurate with the 16.5" barrel and affordable to own and shoot. I have a tasco red dot on top.

http://www.hipointfirearmsforums.com...-Carbines.html
Old October 9, 2012, 01:44 PM   #5
rickyjames

hipoints are the dog turds of the gunworld. they are heavy and ugly but they work and because they work I OWN ONE
Old October 9, 2012, 01:48 PM   #6
Tactical Jackalope

lol...honestly. Yeah, as someone else just said...If ugly and cheap saves your life. I'm all for it. I'm sure they make fine truck guns. Better than nothing.
Old October 9, 2012, 02:40 PM   #7
osbornk

I have been very pleased with my C9. It goes bang every time I pull the trigger and it hits where it is pointed at. It's reasonably priced and has the best lifetime warranty in the business. It's not that pretty and it's not that light but it's not something I'm going to marry so I don't care. I also like my little Phoenix HP-22, Marlin 60 22lr and Marlin 25 22mag.
Old October 9, 2012, 02:43 PM   #8
Yung.gunr

Well now I have seen everything.

There is a forum devoted to Hi Points.....
Old October 9, 2012, 03:50 PM   #9
Skans

Hi-Points are ugly. They work. What else is there to say about them?
Old October 9, 2012, 03:58 PM   #10
Skadoosh

Even today you can buy a Yugo that will get you from Seattle to Miami. But you may look like a chump doing it.
Old October 9, 2012, 04:20 PM   #11
Walt Sherrill

Quote:
Even today you can buy a Yugo that will get you from Seattle to Miami. But you may look like a chump doing it.
Almost as bad as someone driving an Edsel back in the late 1950's and 1960's? Or an AMC Pacer, a Chevy Vega, or a Corvair!! I think that Vega may have been about as reliable as the Yugo...
Old October 9, 2012, 09:55 PM   #12
militant

I have one in .45. It makes the same hole a 1911 does.
Old October 9, 2012, 11:07 PM   #13
bitttorrrent

Just ran some of my first reloading batches through my c9 and it was 100%. I was very impressed.

Had put the little circle rear site on, so adjusted it slightly at range and now is dead on.

Very good for such a cheap gun.

My only issue is that the trigger which is plastic is not the best in the world, but nothing really wrong with it. I only have couple hundred rounds at best so will probably improve with age.
Old October 10, 2012, 08:38 AM   #14
1DrnkMxR

My brother has one and it shoots good! he hasn't cleaned it yet and it's been maybe 7 months with around 600 rounds or so. I am thinking about getting one of their carbines.
Old October 10, 2012, 08:48 AM   #15
allaroundhunter

We have one out on the farm.... And it has proven to kill snakes just as dead as our Glock and M&P. It does what we ask of it, and we won't be too disappointed if it goes in the lake.

Sent from my HTC One X
Old October 10, 2012, 09:20 AM   #16
TAKtical

Ive yet to see one of these make it through a CHL class or any pistol class without malfuntion. I will admit that the rifles did very well in the carbine classes. Hi-points are better than nothing and if thats what you like or all you can afford, at least you are armed.
Due to several differences of opinion with staff, I am choosing to no longer do business on this forum. Everyone that has a pending order will need to contact me via email at [email protected] Thanks,
-Tom&Tricia
Old October 10, 2012, 09:37 AM   #17
45_auto

Quote:
Ive yet to see one of these make it through a CHL class
What are the shooting requirements for an Ohio CHL class? How many Hi-points have you seen in the classes? Hard to imagine every single one failing in the first couple of magazines.

I've been teaching CCW classes in Louisiana for over 10 years, well over 200 classes. You're required to shoot 36 rounds into a B-27 target. I've NEVER seen any gun fail yet. I've seen people forget to load their gun, forget to take the safety off, fail to seat a magazine, etc, but no gun or ammo failures.
Old October 10, 2012, 10:00 AM   #18
TAKtical

In ohio we tend to go above and beyond the requirement. We go through 150-300 rounds per person depending on the class size (less people=more shooting time per person). 12 classes per year and a hi-point in almost every class. Are you really going to sit there and try to tell me that in over 200 classes you have never seen a pistol malfunction? Something doesnt add up there sir.
Due to several differences of opinion with staff, I am choosing to no longer do business on this forum. Everyone that has a pending order will need to contact me via email at [email protected] Thanks,
-Tom&Tricia
Old October 10, 2012, 11:25 AM   #19
Fishbed77

Quote:
Ive yet to see one of these make it through a CHL class or any pistol class without malfuntion.
One of the first questions our CWP class instructors asked prior to the shooting test was if anyone would be using a Hi-Point. They had a loaner Glock to use instead, as their experience was that jamming Hi-Points held up the class too much.

Of course, that just left the folks taking the test with never-cleaned .22LR rimfire pistols the opportunity to hold up the rest of the class instead.

Last edited by Fishbed77; October 10, 2012 at 11:43 AM.
Old October 10, 2012, 11:39 AM   #20
militant

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2FoWpog5KU4

Watch this torture test on a hi point. I'd be curious how a glock or a 1911 would function after similar tests.
Old October 10, 2012, 11:50 AM   #21
aarondhgraham

Over a year ago I bought a 9mm carbine,,,

Over a year ago I bought a 9mm carbine,,,
All I wanted was a range toy so I could play with a group of friends.

They all have Tactical rifles of some ilk,,,
So I bought a Hi-Point 9mm Carbine to play with.

I buy 9mm ammo in 250 round packs,,,
I'm somewhere in my fourth pack and not one malfunction yet.

It's a fun and inexpensive carbine,,,
That so far has surpassed every expectation.

Do I think it's a great rifle?,,,
Not especially.

But so far it has performed right alongside of a Beretta Carbine,,,
And is just as accurate and dependable for 1/3 the price.

Go figure.

Aarond

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old October 10, 2012, 11:09 PM   #22
johnwilliamson062

Quote:
Hi-points are not and I repeat are not for people who don't like to tinker with stuff and have basic firearm knowledge because work needs to be done to them post purchase before going to the range or anything.
Odd, I never had to tinker with mine and they say not to disassemble them.

Quote:
In ohio we tend to go above and beyond the requirement. We go through 150-300 rounds per person depending on the class size
I might have fired 50 rounds in my class.

As far as malfunctions, are you sure it wasn't new shooters limp wristing?

If you do have a problem they will take care of you. You can send the gunback and they will clean it for you. Had an acquaintance who tried to stipple the grip and screwed it up. They replaced the gun at no charge.
Old October 11, 2012, 03:42 AM   #23
Ben Towe

I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me a Sig or give me a Glock!

All joking aside, I've played with a few, and they resoundingly beat throwing rocks.
Old October 11, 2012, 06:56 AM   #24
IDAHOMIKE

Once had a 45, and while it sounds strange, I really do miss it. Round count was past 1000 when it was sold, and it was very close to 100% function wise and quite accurate. Would happily buy more. Still have a 9mm carbine and it is a reliable weapon as well.
Old October 11, 2012, 07:07 AM   #25
mes228

Hi-Point

I've only owned one, ANIB .45 caliber. That one was very reliable, never jammed in a few hundred rounds. I must say it was accurate too. If you think a bad guy armed with a Hi-Point is a joke - you might be dead wrong.