The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 8, 2012, 05:27 AM   #1
duelist1954

Shooting Beretta's Model 1951 9mm

The Model 1951 Beretta was the first 9mm pistol adopted by Italian police and armed forces. It was the single action, single stack predecessor of the Beretta Model 92 used by military forces around the world today. The Model '51 has some unique features that we'll examine. We'll also show you how to disassemble and reassemble the pistol, and we'll see how it shoots.

This pistol is imported by Century International Arms

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KqVmjCwT8Q
Old October 8, 2012, 07:43 AM   #2
mete

I never had the problem he had .The problem I had was far more serious -the locking wedge would break !! That apparently was a fairly common problem which the importer didn't care to comment on .One dealer walked away when it was mentioned .I had mine in the early '70s.
I think the problem was due in part to the Military M1910 which was chambered in 9mm Glisenti. That round has the same dimensions as the 9mm Luger but at lower pressure. Perhaps the guns were set up to shoot the Glisenti but called 9mm Luger.
I was amused at recently seeing on the Beretta website a parts kit for the M 92, containing a spring and locking wedge and suggestions how often to change it.So I guess the problem is still there.
The safety I got used to and could disengage with my thumb knuckle.The mag release was a bit slow.
The pistol was also called the "Brigadier"