The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old September 11, 2009, 10:59 PM   #1
The Kid

Carrying in your Car in Memphis, Tennessee

I have a friend who moved from Mississippi to Memphis, TN. He told me that a MPD officer told him that the laws about your car being an extension of your home did not apply in Memphis and that it was not legal to carry a pistol in ones under the seat car w/o a permit...anyone familiar w/ this? I was surprised to hear this. IMO the cop was blowing smoke up his ass. Can i tell my friend to start carrying or should he listen to the cop?

Any Volunteers care to weigh in?
"When the lambs is lost in the mountain, he said. They is cry. Sometime come the mother. Sometime the wolf." -- Leader of a group of horsemen to the kid and Sproule in Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy
Old September 11, 2009, 11:06 PM   #2
RamSlammer

Your friend should listen to the policeman. . . .and get his Tennessee CCW permit.
Old September 11, 2009, 11:34 PM   #3
armsmaster270

I don't know about Memphis but Nashville is pretty gun unfriendly. Many places posted against CC even with a permit. One place that was posted even advertised they were a safe restraunt.
Old September 12, 2009, 12:02 AM   #4
Wuchak

First, give your friend a dope slap for moving to a new state and not checking the handgun laws first. Then another for assuming that he can carry in his car. In some states, like NY, just owning a handgun requires a permit. You cannot move there and take your handguns with you because you have to be a resident for at least 6 months before applying. If you get caught with them you do not pass Start, you go directly to jail and pay through the nose.

You need to have permit to have a loaded firearm in the car in TN. Since TN issues CCW permits your friend should just go pay the $115 and get one. It's a shall issue state so if he meets the requirements he'll have no problem.
http://www.state.tn.us/safety/handgunmain.htm

He also gets pretty good reciprocity, see the "Who honors my permit" link at .http://www.handgunlaw.us/

There is some info on some recent changes (they made them better) to their CCW laws if you scroll down at http://www.state.tn.us/safety/handgun/handguntca.htm

39-17-1307. Unlawful carrying or possession of a weapon. —

(a) (1) A person commits an offense who carries with the intent to go armed a firearm, a knife with a blade length exceeding four inches (4²), or a club.

(2) (A) The first violation of subdivision (a)(1) is a Class C misdemeanor, and, in addition to possible imprisonment as provided by law, may be punished by a fine not to exceed five hundred dollars ($500).

(B) A second or subsequent violation of subdivision (a)(1) is a Class B misdemeanor.

Last edited by Wuchak; September 12, 2009 at 12:16 AM.
Old September 12, 2009, 12:36 AM   #5
Bill DeShivs

As a life-long Memphian, I can tell you the cop was correct.
Old September 12, 2009, 03:44 AM   #6
Elvishead

Quote:
Bill DeShivs:

" As a life-long Memphian, I can tell you the cop was correct."
Elvis liked guns! Did you ever meet the king?
Old September 12, 2009, 03:54 AM   #7
Bill DeShivs

Oh, yeah. Several times. There are a few Bill DeShivs "Elvis guns" out there.
Old September 12, 2009, 05:43 AM   #8
Winston Smith 1984

Quote:
I have a friend who moved from Mississippi to Memphis, TN. He told me that a MPD officer told him that the laws about your car being an extension of your home did not apply in Memphis and that it was not legal to carry a pistol in ones under the seat car w/o a permit...anyone familiar w/ this? I was surprised to hear this. IMO the cop was blowing smoke up his ass. Can i tell my friend to start carrying or should he listen to the cop?

Any Volunteers care to weigh in?
Your friend should make some effort to learn where one doesn't go after dark in Mempho.
Old September 12, 2009, 07:15 AM   #9
snail

He will have to pay to go to a HCP class, than go to the DMV and give them another $115 dollars. He will have to change his license over to a TN license first though. Until he gets the HCP the gun and ammo must be seperate, and not within reach of the driver.
Old September 12, 2009, 08:45 AM   #10
The Kid

Winston Smith--I think that's everywhere in Memphis...just from what I saw when I visited...

Snail -- HCP?? Handgun Carry Permit?
"When the lambs is lost in the mountain, he said. They is cry. Sometime come the mother. Sometime the wolf." -- Leader of a group of horsemen to the kid and Sproule in Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy
Old September 12, 2009, 08:45 AM   #11
OuTcAsT

The Officer was correct. While TN is relatively gun friendly, and a "shall issue" state, you may not carry a handgun outside of your dwelling, or immediate property, without a permit.

Quote:
Your friend should make some effort to learn where one doesn't go after dark in Mempho
This is also excellent advice.

Does not morality imply the last clear chance? - WildAlaska -
Old September 13, 2009, 12:27 AM   #12
jgcoastie

Quote:
I have a friend who moved from Mississippi to Memphis, TN.
emphasis added

What in the hell for? Give him a dope slap from me for that one...
"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them." -Richard Henry Lee, Virginia delegate to the Continental Congress, initiator of the Declaration of Independence, and member of the first Senate, which passed the Bill of Rights.
Old September 13, 2009, 11:28 AM   #13
csmsss

Quote:
Your friend should make some effort to learn where one doesn't go after dark in Mempho.
That's easy. Most everywhere.
Old September 14, 2009, 12:37 AM   #14
M4Sherman

Your friend should pretend he is one of the dudes from 28 days later. (A.K.a) Don't go out after dark!
Old September 15, 2009, 10:16 PM   #15
Hedge313

In SC, you cannot have a loaded weapon under the seat, regardless of whether you have a CWP or not. I have one, and can carry in the glove box or trunk without being under CWP. With CWP, it has to be on your person and concealed. It cannot be under the seat, on the seat under articles of clothing, etc. See if someone in your state has written a book on the subject - read it. There is a great book in SC called "South Carolina Gun Law", and I just finished it. It is a great resource and I keep it in my car. For any SC residents out there that are interested, they are at every gun show, and most gun shops in the state. Worth the read!
Old September 16, 2009, 01:06 AM   #16
Christchild

A Club???

My Glock 21 has it's purpose, but there is ALWAYS a small aluminum baseball bat within arms reach in my truck.

Maybe I should get a small Glove and a ball, keep all of them together and say my son plays little league.

De-Arming American Citizens would give criminals free reign. Not in MY lifetime.
Old September 17, 2009, 10:39 AM   #17
orangello

I lived in Memphis for 10 years & never needed a firearm to defend myself. I think some of you who are speaking ill of Memphis should realize that there are plenty of good, decent, honest people who live there who probably wouldn't apreciate your characterization of their hometown. I lived in the area near the University of Memphis for some time and was never threatened, nor did i feel threatened (did have some kids do a minor burglary). I lived near McLean & Lamar and didn't have any real problems. I lived two blocks from Cleveland on Poplar and had no real problems. I lived north of Summer near East Parkway and never had any problems with crime other than losing a radar detector to an unlocked car door. I was generally in the racial minority for my neighborhood, but this never came up either that i recall (didn't fly a rebel flag or anything though). Most of the areas i lived in would not be described as "affluent". There are some parts of Memphis that are less safe than others, but i wouldn't compare the city as a whole to anything from a zombie flick. I wouldn't recommend hanging out on south Third street, but any idiot could see that area is economically depressed and littered with street people and could be unsafe. The occasional panhandler offering to pump my gas for beer money didn't bother me a bit, especially in the cold weather.

I greatly enjoyed living in Memphis and may move back there from South Mississippi later in life. I have never lived anywhere with the variety of food & entertainment & recreational opportunities available that Memphis offered me. Heck, there are at least 5 disc golf courses in the major metropolitan area; i have to drive 40 minutes for disc golf here. No place is a perfect place to live for everyone; if there was such a place, it would become overcrowded.

If there were no illegal activities going on in your car, i doubt any reasonable officer would object to a pistol in the trunk and a magazine in the glove box, unless you failed to notify him of such before any search of the car (though this would approach technical illegality). I found the Memphis Police Officers very easy to get along with, personally.
Old September 18, 2009, 11:43 PM   #18
M4Sherman

I live near Memphis now and can tell you in the last 5 years it has turned pretty rough
Old September 20, 2009, 04:13 PM   #19
Mousegunzzz

Quote:
I don't know about Memphis but Nashville is pretty gun unfriendly
Yeah, that's true, in the two places in the state that guns are needed the most.
Old September 26, 2009, 07:50 PM   #20
Bill DeShivs

In the last 10 years, Memphis has turned into a cesspool. Our former crack head mayor saw to that. Gang warfare constantly. Memphis is in the top 5 most dangerous places to live in the USA. I have lived here all my life, and am ready to go elsewhere. There are some relatively safe places, but overall it sucks.
Old September 26, 2009, 10:49 PM   #21
csmsss

Quote:
In the last 10 years, Memphis has turned into a cesspool. Our former crack head mayor saw to that. Gang warfare constantly. Memphis is in the top 5 most dangerous places to live in the USA. I have lived here all my life, and am ready to go elsewhere. There are some relatively safe places, but overall it sucks.
Yeah, you have to get over to the east side of town - Germantown, Cordova, etc.
Old September 27, 2009, 12:58 AM   #22
M4Sherman

It is getting pretty bad over there to (that's where I work). But then again when you head east the Cops are pretty friendly to gun owners
Old September 27, 2009, 01:02 AM   #23
Bill DeShivs

Germantown and Cordova are going downhill quickly. Even Collierville (where I live) is having problems.
Old September 27, 2009, 02:03 PM   #24
csmsss

Wow. I used to work in Cordova in 04 and 05 and it was pretty damn nice then. I guess it doesn't take long for rot to creep in, though.
Old September 27, 2009, 09:18 PM   #25
OuTcAsT

Quote:
I don't know about Memphis but Nashville is pretty gun unfriendly
I have lived here in the area all my life, (almost half a century) have never found this to be the case, in fact I have carried both CC and OC for many of those years and have rarely (twice) been hassled. What was your experience?

Does not morality imply the last clear chance? - WildAlaska -