The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 24, 2013, 10:06 PM   #1
chrissy0022

New to Shooting

So I just started shooting about a month ago when i bought my first gun a Walther P22....

Walther P22.jpg

Yes its pink.... so my first target with the P22...

at about 15 feet

193578_374361322659697_918684201_o.jpg

In about 2 weeks progressed to this consistently at about 30 feet
target 1.jpg

So i figure its time to move up so I order rent a try out a Glock 26
Old February 24, 2013, 10:11 PM   #2
chrissy0022

continued

So I rent the 26 to see if I like it and this is my target from 25 feet...

857020_394026397359856_380232358_o.jpg

So of course loved it and put in an order for that gun to be my carry gun..

now just this friday it was my birthday and decided to so some window shopping and found a Barley used HK P2000 for under $600

HK.jpg

Might I say a very fun Birthday!

So I think I have found a new hobby that i Absolutely love!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 823576_396678967094599_1006860393_o.jpg (242.7 KB, 62 views)
Old February 24, 2013, 10:19 PM   #3
certified106

Re: New to Shooting

Nice shooting!
Old February 24, 2013, 10:21 PM   #4
Spats McGee
Staff

Congratulations!
Old February 24, 2013, 10:49 PM   #5
ClydeFrog

shooting sports, laws...

Welcome to TFL...
If you are new to weapons & the shooting sports please check these sources; www.handgunlaws.us www.nra.org www.gunlawguide.com www.brownells.com www.midwayusa.com www.grafs.com www.shopcorbon.com www.gunsamerica.com www.gunvideo.com www.deltapress.com www.paladin-press.com www.natchezss.com www.policehq.com www.usgalco.com www.imfdb.org www.uscav.com www.galls.com .
Remember that firearms are not toys, props, fashion statements, or accessories. They are lethal weapons that can cause serious injury or death.
Learn and understand the state or local gun and use of force laws.
If you plan to carry a firearm for protection, use only high quality LE grade ammunition. No handloads or reloads. Good brands include; Ranger-T, Golden Saber, Hornady Critical Duty, Speer Gold Dot, DPX, PowRball, TAP.

Stay safe & enjoy your new hobby...
ClydeFrog
Old February 24, 2013, 10:56 PM   #6
chrissy0022

My P22 will only Take CCI ammo...
Old February 24, 2013, 11:01 PM   #7
alex0535

^CCI is considered high quality .22 ammo.

I think he is talking about keeping your HK P2000 loaded for self defense

Good shooting by the way.
Old February 24, 2013, 11:03 PM   #8
chrissy0022

Thank you... but I will take anything I can find right now in the way of 9mm... shot some Remington and some PMC through it Friday and it was no problem...
Old February 24, 2013, 11:30 PM   #9

Welcome to the shooting community. The above advise is sound and good information. Practice is your friend.
Old February 24, 2013, 11:41 PM   #10
ClydeFrog

brands, defense

When I posted the ammunition brand names, that was for protection, carry or if you plan to work in a armed industry(sworn LE, PI, security, etc).

Some brands are out of stock or hard to find now. This is a bad time to start buying guns or to get into the shooting sports field. 1,000s of new gun owners & regular citizens looking to cash in have made it nuts.

Clyde
Old February 24, 2013, 11:52 PM   #11
chrissy0022

Thank you... yeah I am noticing that... couldn't believe I got the HK barley used for under $600 with the prices today
Old February 24, 2013, 11:58 PM   #12
ClydeFrog

Laser-aimers...

If you have the $$$ & time...
A laser-aimer or a white light could be a good add-on; Crimsontrace offers a free DVD(2013) & Lasermax, Insight have cool green laser-aimers.
They are not cheap, but they could help with protection or with training.
See: www.policehq.com www.crimsontrace.com www.lasermax.com .

Know too, that there are pistol/white light holsters out there.
Clyde
Old February 25, 2013, 12:01 AM   #13
chrissy0022

Actually bought a laser for the P22 went to the range got it sighted shot with it tweaked it and still I was off... so took the laser off and I am actually a better shot without the laser... they said they basically use the laser to teach people to keep their hands steady with the correct grip but I am way past that so I sold the laser.

Instead I ordered night sights for my guns
Old February 25, 2013, 12:16 AM   #14
stingray2100

Congratulations

Good to have you in the community...you have the trigger sickness now..!

you are doing very very well. Keep it up
Old February 25, 2013, 12:54 AM   #15
BIGR

Congrats to you and have fun shooting.
Old February 25, 2013, 01:31 AM   #16
banter

Also a new shooter here. (Not nearly as consistent as the OP, however!) A question about lasers.. Is the main purpose of lasers to learn to steady your hands? What else are they good for?

Also, what kind of training would you all recommend for a new shooter? I've taken a few safety classes, had some military friends help me out/show me around.. I feel confident with the mechanics, safety, and use of handguns... but my aim is admittedly pretty poor. Smallest group so far with 50 9mm rounds has been a frisbee sized thing. I was proud of that!

I am planning to take marksmanship lessons, but what else do you recommend to make my groups tighter?
Old February 25, 2013, 09:51 AM   #17
Skans

My take on lasers is that they teach you how you and your gun naturally point, i.e. without using the sights to aim. I do not use a laser and don't like them for self-defense guns.

The way I see it, most self-defense situations outside of your home will take place within 10-20 feet. There's not going to be enough time to use a laser and maybe not even the sights. You will be doing good if you can unholster your weapon and get your muzzle pointed at the attacker's mid section and get off one or two shots.

As far as making your shots group better, here are my recommendations:

1. Lots of shooting practice and dry-fire practice.
2. Do some reading and figure out what you are doing wrong - i.e. there's a chart out there that tells you what you are likely doing depending where your shots are landing. http://www.degrata.com/pdf/commonshootingerrors.pdf Beyond that, you need to get some one-on-one training.
3. If after shooting your gun, practicing, training, etc. you still aren't grouping they way you want to, try a different gun. For instance, I don't group well with my Glock 17 - good enough, but not that good in my opinion. However, I group much better with a 1911 style gun, Sig, EAA Stock, even 2nd generation S&W 9mm. Most people will shoot some guns better than others. There's nothing wrong with my Glock - I just don't shoot it as well as other guns.
4. Training with a .22 pistol can be a good idea to correct problems.

Last edited by Skans; February 25, 2013 at 10:10 AM.
Old February 25, 2013, 11:03 AM   #18
Tactical Jackalope

That's awesome. I'm really glad to see that. You're into it. Did things on your own (possibly) researched and shot what you wanted. In the end, bought it for yourself.

Congrats! I'm really happy for you, if you ever need anything we're all here.
Old February 25, 2013, 12:12 PM   #19
chrissy0022

Constitine, thank you yes I did a lot of research before buying my fist the walther P22...and was blessed to make a good friend at the local gun shop who has helped steer me in the right direction, I initatlly wanted and was set on a baretta nano until he convinced me to please rent that and the glock 26 and shoot booth of them because he was sure with how I shot I would do a lot better with the glock and he was right... I bought the HK because it was a heck of a deal but I really want an XDM 9mm ( want more of a target gun) so I already have someone who wants to buy the HK from me and trade for an XDM... But I am having fun with the HK in the meantime.
Old February 25, 2013, 06:18 PM   #20
Cheapshooter

Quote:
Actually bought a laser for the P22 went to the range got it sighted shot with it tweaked it and still I was off... so took the laser off and I am actually a better shot without the laser... they said they basically use the laser to teach people to keep their hands steady with the correct grip but I am way past that so I sold the laser.
The people at your range gave you excellent advise. Lasers are good training aids, and do have limited use in a SD situation. It is best however to learn to shoot properly, and not rely on circuits, and batteries in an emergency situation.
Sounds like you are on an excellent route to being a responsible gun owner, and a valued member of the shooting community.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old February 25, 2013, 07:02 PM   #21
bonefamily

I myself like the looks of your pink P22 !!
Old February 26, 2013, 02:10 AM   #22
chrissy0022

BoneFamily Thank you.. I had to get atleast one pink gun....

The funny think is my husband shot the glock 26 with me when i was trying it out and loved it and was like this is the one you defiantly need to buy....

So I go to look at Talon grips for it and they have a pink grip showed it to my husband fully knowing his reaction would be this " Why would you do that that is gay I will not shoot that gun"

- My though process was ok perfect now i have reassurance that someone will not be taking off with my gun when i am not home and going to the range... because there is no way he would be caught dead at the range by himself with a glock that has a Hot pink Talon grip on it.... Oh us women are alot smarter than you think at times
Old February 26, 2013, 04:18 AM   #23
AndyWest

Chrissy, wow that's genuinely good shooting. Especially with that G26. Keep at it.

I shoot CCI in my P22 as well. Either Mini-Mags or the blue "AR Tactical" packs. Zero malfunctions and leaves very little residue, making the P22 a joy to clean.

I've never been in a self-defense situation but when practicing, I personally find lasers distracting. Likely just my own gap in skills but I prefer night sights. Requires no extra training, batteries, button pushing, etc on your part.
Old February 26, 2013, 05:59 AM   #24
redhologram

Great shooting! Happy Belated Birthday as well! Nice to have another female on the forum too! Love the pink on your gun! I have to avoid pink, it clashes with my red hair.. lol
Old February 26, 2013, 07:42 PM   #25
Stevie-Ray

Incredibly good shooting. Like most ladies I know that shoot, you took far too little time to excel. Makes guys like me, that have to practice all the time just to remain current, jealous. But I love it. I'd just as soon see every female in America fall in love with shooting as much as I did. Welcome to the addiction.