The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 21, 2011, 03:46 PM   #1
straysinnfarm

Nitro Hunter Shotgun?

Can anyone tell me what a Nitro Hunter Shotgun is worth? My husband has an old 12 gauge Nitro Hunter single barrel shotgun but we know nothing about it. Any help/info would be greatly appreciated! And no, it is not in working condition.

Thanks!
Old September 21, 2011, 03:56 PM   #2
Scorch

Your husband's Nitro Hunter was made either by LeFever or Ithaca. LeFever made shotguns that included the Automatic Hammerless, Premiere, Nitro Special, and the Nitro Hunter. LeFever was acquired by Ithaca Gun in 1916, and Ithaca continued to market shotguns under the LeFever brand name until just before WW2. Many of these shotguns were field grade and of good quality. Parts are not available. In good condition they can fetch between $300 and $700, in poor condition can be as low as $100. Unfortunately, most are not in good condition when you find them.
Old September 21, 2011, 04:16 PM   #3
straysinnfarm

Thank you so much! He wants to sell it but didn't know how much to ask for it
Old September 21, 2011, 04:19 PM   #4
straysinnfarm

And it's a double barrel - not single
Old September 21, 2011, 06:46 PM   #5
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

The last Nitro Hunter I saw had a $400 tag. It was in pretty good shape.

That was a couple years back....
Old September 21, 2011, 06:57 PM   #6
straysinnfarm

if I knew how to post photos I'd show y'all what it looks like
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 040.jpg (246.3 KB, 215 views)
Old March 3, 2013, 07:12 PM   #7
Hillshooter

I know this is an old thread, but I was just searching google and noticed this. The "Nitro Hunter" shotguns were not made by Lefever or Ithaca. They were primarily manufactured by H.D. Folsom Arms (but not exclusively based on my experience and research) as an exclusive in-house brand of Belknap Hardware in Louisville. Lots of the brand names from that era contained the word "Nitro" because it was a way to signify that they could shoot the new "nitro" powder that had been developed. Ask just about any old-timer in Kentucky, Southern Indiana, or the surrounding region--chances are they will saying something like "My grandpa had one of those guns". That's why they hold such a sentimental value in the area. I apologize for digging this old thread up, but these guns are a personal interest of mine. I wish there was more info out there about them.
Old March 10, 2013, 05:10 PM   #8
Two Old Dogs

Hillshooter: H. & D. Folsom Arms Company was not a manufacturer, but a mega wholesaler of firearms. They purchased Crescent Fire Arms Company in1893. Folsom also imported multiple thousands of trade name firearms from Belgium made by Henri Pieper, Simonis, Janssen, Dumoulin and Company and many other manufacturers.

Crescent Fire Arms Company was the manufacturer of the "Nitro Hunter' for Belknap, and, produced firearms with over a hundred other trade names. If you wanted your name on a furearm, all you had to do was purchase the tooling to stamp the name and order 10 or more firearms.

Crescent also produced "Nitro Bird" fror Richards and Conover Hardware Company, "Nitro King" for Sears Roebuck and Company, "Nitro Special", and "New York Nitro Hammerless" brands
Old March 10, 2013, 06:37 PM   #9
gunut

From what I can make out from the picture that is a Hopkins & Allen made double......

just like Crescent they would put any name you wanted on their guns provided you ordered enough of them....
Old March 10, 2013, 09:27 PM   #10
Hillshooter

Thanks for the clarification, Two Old Dogs. You're right. I always get that mixed up. If anybody is interested in some useless trivia about those guns, I once ran across a book excerpt that showed a possible lawsuit that was filed against Belknap regarding using the "Nitro Hunter" brand without a proper copyright, but I've not been able to find that again. I also know for a fact that Belknap contracted at least one "Nitro Hunter" 22 rifle, and it was obviously a Hopkins and Allen. Belknap also used "Essex" (not to be confused with the modern company), "Volunteer", and "Daniel Boone" as in-house brands from various manufacturers.