The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 25, 2010, 09:34 PM   #1
cjs9473

Benelli Nova 20 Gauge Youth Model Problem

I am new to the forum and the wife and mother of hunters, not the gun expert by any means. I am wondering if anyone has had the same problem as us.

We recently purchased a brand new Benelli Nova 20 gauge youth model for my daughter. When my husband and daughter were trying it out, my husband was baffled because after she fired a round and pumped the gun, the empty shell would eject normally, but one of the live shells would fall out of the bottom. My husband is very familiar with shotguns (though this is our first Benelli) but could not get it to work correctly. He was also unhappy with the slide rails because they were not smooth and made the pumping action rough (he thought it almost looked used.) We took the gun back to the dealer and he could not get it to work either. He even switched the trigger assembly from another gun and it did the same thing. I left the gun there and I assume they will send it back to Benelli. After doing some research online, I have found that other people have had this problem.

Has anyone ever had this problem and sent their gun back to Benelli? I am just afraid that whatever fix they may make won't last past the warranty period. Thanks in advance for any feedback you may have.
Old August 26, 2010, 10:50 AM   #2
1SG Ret

I also recently bought a Benelli 20 ga. youth model and it does the exact same thing that you described. From what I read on the Benelli forum, this is a common problem with the 20 ga, but not so with the 12 ga. models. Others have returned their's for warrenty repair and received it back with the same problem (uncorrected). I haven't decided what to do with mine. I just use it as a single shot now. Please let us know if and how you get the problem resolved.
Old August 26, 2010, 04:09 PM   #3
cjs9473

Thanks for the info. I have sent an email to Benelli and will be on top of them until this is resolved. It is ridiculous to think that people should be stuck with a brand new gun that never operated properly!
Old August 26, 2010, 04:41 PM   #4
1SG Ret

You're welcome.
One thing I didn't mention. It does work correctly if you use a small hook or something to pull the shell lifter/carrier down after loading two in the magazine. I tried disassembly, cleaning, moving the carrier up and down, and repeated racking of the slide. I also did a side-by-side comparison with a 12 ga. carrier group and didn't see any abnormalities in mine. This is my second bust on a 20 ga. youth model. I bought the Remington Express and it had a problem with every shell sticking in the chamber. Hope you have better luck.
Old September 2, 2010, 06:11 PM   #5
cjs9473

Well, we got the gun back today and she is out there shooting clay pigeons. So far, so good. The dealer told me that he sent back the other gun that had problems as well. They test shot my daughter's gun 8 times at the factory. Hopefully whatever they did is a long-term fix.
Old September 2, 2010, 11:01 PM   #6
1SG Ret

Glad you got it fixed and hope it is a lasting fix. Thanks for taking time to keep us updated.