The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old March 6, 2013, 02:19 PM   #76
t4terrific

do you carry chambered?

Quote:
Originally Posted by manta49 View Post
True a unloaded gun does not have a magazine in it.

As for carrying with a round chambered i would say what ever the person is comfortable with. Just remember lots of people shoot themselves every year carrying with a loaded chamber. Probably more than ever need to use their firearm in a self defence situation. Weigh up the pros and cons and make a choice you will have to live with your decision not people giving advice on the Internet.
In every case, safe handling likely would prevent accidental discharge. Pistols don't "just go off".
Old March 6, 2013, 03:30 PM   #77
manta49

Quote:
Really now.

Source of this "statistic" and examples, please
I said probably, i see enough people on YouTube shooting themselves and others by mistake. Not very scientific but i ask myself if there is that many captured on YouTube shooting themselves then there are going to be a lot more that do it and don't end up on YouTube. As i said carry what way people want to its their decision. People walking around with no firearms training and a round in the chamber would concern me more than the very slim chance of someone shooting at me Deliberately. I see people being told repeatedly on this forum that the only way to carry is with a round in the chamber without any knowledge of the persons experience with firearms. PS I already have had a 9mm round negligently fired at me grazing my knee by a individual that had a round in the chamber and not a clue about firearms maybe that has influenced the way i think.

Last edited by manta49; March 6, 2013 at 03:59 PM.
Old March 6, 2013, 04:35 PM   #78
buckfynn

I carry my 1911's, condition 1, cocked and locked, usually concealed carry, with a IWB or OWB holster.

My Sig P220's DA/SA, I carry with one in the chamber, open carry, with a thumb break holster.

I don't carry my P938 very often, but when I do, I carry it cocked and locked with the safety on in a pocket holster or IWB.
Old March 6, 2013, 04:44 PM   #79
Erikbal

Re: do you carry chambered?

Yes. It's the only way I carry, and have since day 1.
Old March 6, 2013, 04:49 PM   #80
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manta49
I said probably
People shooting themselves on YouTube aren't "carrying" the guns. Carrying a gun, in this context, is holstered and untouched, the way every gun should be carried.

It is literally impossible to shoot yourself with a holstered handgun.

People shoot themselves accidentally when they're playing with guns.

A responsible person, carrying a gun, touches it for purposes of holstering in the morning, unholstering at night and when someone forces them to use it.

In between those times, the gun could not be any safer than it is, secure in a holster that covers it's trigger and makes it impossible to discharge, unless someone changes the laws of physics.

Plenty of arguments can be made on how a careless or irresponsible person might play with their gun in between those times and manage to shoot themselves but those people shouldn't be carrying anyway.

I'm afraid far too many people would use the "I don't carry loaded so it's safe..." excuse to do very dangerous things, making "unloaded" carry more dangerous than loaded carry ever would be.
Old March 6, 2013, 04:55 PM   #81
Garycw

do you carry chambered?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakota1820 View Post
Hey guys. I had just taken my kahr 40 to the gun dealer it is defective. The slide wont close all the way when feeding the round.
So I was talking to the store owner about how to properly load the gun. You have to slide the slide back and lock it then stick the magazine in and then relase slide lock. So basically you have to carry loaded all the time and there is no safety.

So it made me curious do you guys carry clambered?
It's the ONLY way I carry with or without safety. DAO= no safety / DA/SA= safety

Sent from iPhone
Old March 6, 2013, 05:08 PM   #82
AH.74

Quote:
I said probably, i see enough people on YouTube shooting themselves and others by mistake. Not very scientific but i ask myself if there is that many captured on YouTube shooting themselves then there are going to be a lot more that do it and don't end up on YouTube.
There is no rational basis for comparing this to responsible concealed carrying, as Brian mentions.

And I also feel comfortable pointing out that there is a very low common denominator involved in the people posting such things to youtube. I hope I don't need to put it more plainly.

One personal experience can certainly influence your thinking, but you must also try to realize it does not extend to all circumstances.
Old March 6, 2013, 08:42 PM   #83

do you carry chambered?

Always.

There is no guarantee that I will have the time or a second hand to bring my gun into a condition of readiness.
Old March 6, 2013, 09:07 PM   #84
kutz

Yes---Always!
Old March 6, 2013, 09:08 PM   #85
Jayster

When I carry I carry ready and we who know what ready means know it means chambered.
Old March 7, 2013, 11:07 AM   #86
Garycw

do you carry chambered?

I would think carrying a unloaded pistol could get you killed!

Sent from iPhone
Old March 7, 2013, 11:14 AM   #87
wooly booger

Quote:
You have to slide the slide back and lock it then stick the magazine in and then relase slide lock.
is this what the LGS owner recommended?

#1..you do not need to have the slide locked open to load the gun. Insert a magazine and cycle the slide

#2...If the slide is locked back, I prefer to grasp the slide and move it rearward to release the lock, the let go. This eliminates undo wear on the slide notch and lock prawl.
Old March 7, 2013, 11:36 AM   #88
TailGator

Quote:
YouTube . . . Not very scientific
Monumental understatement.
Old March 7, 2013, 11:50 AM   #89
Frank Ettin
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooly booger
Quote:
You have to slide the slide back and lock it then stick the magazine in and then relase slide lock.
is this what the LGS owner recommended?

#1..you do not need to have the slide locked open to load the gun. Insert a magazine and cycle the slide

#2...If the slide is locked back, I prefer to grasp the slide and move it rearward to release the lock, the let go. This eliminates undo wear on the slide notch and lock prawl.
It sure looks like you haven't been paying attention.

As outlined in post 27 the manual of arms for a Kahr, as recommended by Kahr, involves locking the slide back to load and releasing the slide with the slide stop.
"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper
Old March 7, 2013, 11:51 AM   #90
Glenn E. Meyer

Quote:
I said probably, i see enough people on YouTube shooting themselves and others by mistake.
Today, I saw crazy people driving crazy and a great big accident, lots of fire trucks, police, ambulances.

Thus, I will not put gas in my car.

This is such an old argument in the Interent gun world. Is there anything else?

Carry a revolver with a 12 lb pull, already.
Old March 7, 2013, 12:39 PM   #91
Gaerek

Quote:
I said probably, i see enough people on YouTube shooting themselves and others by mistake.
I see hundreds of times more videos of people on YouTube not shooting themselves. Does this mean anything at all?

Nope.

I know dozens of people who, collectively have hundreds of years of carrying a weapons, and 97.736% (I can make stuff up too!) carry with a loaded chamber. Not a single one of them have shot themselves because of this.

Does this mean anything at all?

Nope.

Anecdote isn't proof, it's evidence. Do not make assertions about what could happen based off assumptions and beliefs. If you're going to make an assertion, it MUST be backed up with facts.
Old March 7, 2013, 02:28 PM   #92
Retired45

I always carry chambered and always use a holster that covers the trigger. But my way is not the only way, just what works for me.
Old March 7, 2013, 02:41 PM   #93
breakingcontact

dakota1820, do what you're comfortable with, but understand the advantages and drawbacks and train for however you carry.
Old March 7, 2013, 03:51 PM   #94
Stevie-Ray

Always. 1911, condition one.
Old March 8, 2013, 03:53 PM   #95
buckfynn

Quote:
Today, I saw crazy people driving crazy and a great big accident, lots of fire trucks, police, ambulances.

Thus, I will not put gas in my car.

This is such an old argument in the Interent gun world. Is there anything else?

Carry a revolver with a 12 lb pull, already.
More than likely most every one on the forum has seen this but I'll through it out here for whatever it is worth.

Some time ago the NYPD was having incidences with ND's with officers carrying a Kahr K9 with a 7.5 lb trigger while off duty. Kahr was asked to redesign the firearm to be equipped with a 13 lb trigger. Kahr finally gave up on the redesign after 3 years telling the NYPD it could not be done.

Then NYPD had similar ND problems with Glocks. Glock ended up changing the trigger pull from 10 to 12 lb for NYPD. The NYPD Glocks with the 12 lb triggers have been given the dubious title of the “New York Plus” trigger.

http://www.handgunsmag.com/2012/02/1...-for-training/
Old March 8, 2013, 03:57 PM   #96
Glenn E. Meyer

It's been argued that the heavier pull can lead to inaccurate shots. That puts bystanders at risk. Also, it leads to more shots fired (and risk) as the heavier pull inaccurate shot makes you shoot more. Thus we can get more police spray and pray with a heavy pull.

The simple solution is to train adequately. The unchambered folk need to do that so that they are comfortable with standard semi handguns.
Old March 9, 2013, 11:41 PM   #97
airbrnpig

Check with any law enforcement friends. You will find (with almost every federal, state and local LE officer) that they carry with one in the chamber. So my thought is if you are legally carrying for defense purposes, carry like the men an women who do it for a living...but make sure you train and practice with equal determinition. Great thread!
Old March 10, 2013, 12:54 AM   #98
eman

One in the chamber or you might as well leave it home.

Even if the bad guy is ten feet away with a knife your not fast enough to draw, rack the slide and fire a well placed shot before he slices and dices you.
Old March 10, 2013, 01:03 AM   #99
mrbatchelor

do you carry chambered?

What you choose to do is your business. What I learned, and kept for the take home lesson, is that an unloaded gun is an expensive rock. I carry chambered.
Old March 10, 2013, 07:01 AM   #100
TheNatureBoy

My wife, daughter and I were eating at a local establishment and were seated behind a man who was open carrying. When my daughter was seated directly behind and in line with his firearm I got nervous. We didn't ask to be seated somewhere else but my first thought was what if the thing goes off? I assumed that since the individual was open carrying surely his gun wouldn't be loaded while he was eating in a restaurant. I didn't ask if it was or wasn't but I don't mind telling you that without saying anything to the family I came up with an excuse to hurry up, eat, and leave.
Closed Thread