The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old October 1, 2012, 11:58 PM   #1
Madball6

Looking for my first bolt gun

Hey guys, i'm a pistol shooter mainly, also have a couple of ar-15's i like to shoot, but lately i've felt the hankering for a bolt gun. looking for input as I know VERY little about bolt guns and bolt gun manufacturers. And honestly im not even sure what caliber im wanting. I reload for pistol and my AR's so less than super common calibers are definately doable, but i think i want something that makes bigger holes then my .223's so i was thinking along the lines of something .30 cal-ish (feel free to recommend something outside of that).

That being said, here are the answers to the usual questions.

What will i be using it for? Mostly target shooting 300 yds and under (but i'd like a cartridge thats can go out to 600) and possibly hunting deer/hog

How much am i looking to spend? 500-900 (was thinking around 700 but i have some leeway)

some features i would prefer: Iron sights (would eventually put glass on it, but i prefer the option), detachable box mag, synthetic stock, right handed.

And if anyone can think of other questions that might help me narrow my search, I will happily reply.
Old October 2, 2012, 12:10 AM   #2
trg42wraglefragle

There's tonnes of posts asking very similar questions.....

There aren't that many bolt guns with open sights anymore, the Ruger Gunsite does though, comes in 308 and has a 10 shot box mag.
Accuracy tests aren't that great though.

Tikka T3s are considered great guns and theres an open sight model but doesn't seem to come in many calibers.

Caliber wise I'd look at 308 and 260rem.
Both will get you out to 600yards, 260 is being used out to 1000 yards in competitions.
Old October 2, 2012, 12:18 AM   #3
Madball6

I realize theres some similar threads, but i didnt want to piggy back things im looking for on to someone elses post and threadjack them. I did notice the Ruger scout, but im not sure that i like the scout scope idea and its reviews didnt all impress me. So being a bolt-gun noob, i figured i'd ask some of the experts what they think.
Old October 2, 2012, 06:40 AM   #4
jmr40

The Ruger scout rifle might be what you want. It is a general prupose rifle, but the scope mounting system and shorter barrel are not ideal for longer range work. You should be able to hit human size tagets at up to 300 yards though. It is far from a target rifle however.

By requring iron sights and a DBM you are eleminating most of the better guns. Drop those requirements and there are many, many good options in that price range. A DBM is more of a hassle than an advantage and iron sights can be added later to any gun you choose for less than the cost of a cheap scope and mounts.
Old October 2, 2012, 06:59 AM   #5
shrewd

CZ makes some nice rifles with iron sights, you might want to check them out
Old October 2, 2012, 07:14 AM   #6
hooligan1

Savage 111 w/ detachable mag in 30-06 with open sights!
Old October 2, 2012, 09:21 AM   #7
robertsig

In that price range I'd go Tikka, especially since you want a synthetic stock. If you'd prefer nice wood, I'd say CZ. Winchester is also good.

But yes, some of your requirements might need adjusting. Bolt actions are generally not iron sight guns, except of course the millions of military surplus guns out there. If .308 is your choice (and a fine one), I'd look for a 20" barrel or longer. I wouldn't want the Ruger Gunsite.

If you can still find one (even used), the Tikka T3 Scout CTR is just about perfect.
Old October 2, 2012, 02:47 PM   #8
Clifford L. Hughes

Madball6:

The iron sights found on modern bolt action rifles are inadequate for 300 to 600 yards: they are u notched rear sights and bead front. It takes a good set of precision peep sight s on the rear and a flat posted front sight. Good calibers are the 30/06 and the .308; however their are other calibers available.

Semper Fi.

Gunnery Sergeant
Clifford L. Hughes
USMC Retired