The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Closed Thread

Old January 20, 2011, 03:54 PM   #26
tmorone

I'm a little late to this one, but I live in Tampa and I'd be all for it. Personally I'm a fan of concealment and surprise over openly carring but the right to do it should be there. As far as ever being shot at, or ****ing contests- had bullets coming at me twice in public- it's unpleasant to say the least. Doesn't for one second change my belief that there is no problem with open carry. It's legal in plenty of other states that it works fine in.
Old January 21, 2011, 12:39 PM   #27
Tactical Jackalope

Quote:
Personally I'm a fan of concealment and surprise over openly carrying*** but the right to do it should be there.
I agree with you 100%

However, I'm willing to retract or change my previous statements and opinions for the fact that I probably did not understand it fully...

Will this "open carry law" be an option between that and concealed? Or will you only be allowed to carry open carry and not concealed.

If it's for only open carry, then all that I have previously said will be terribly for Miami-Dade alone in my eyes at least. If there is an option between the carrier to either carry concealed or open both being legal, than I am okay with that to a certain point.

I still stand by it being a ******* contest here in Miami regardless and the fact that EVERYONE especially the ones who are alien to a firearm will
get scared and see it as the devil in the form of a took sadly.

NEWS UPDATE : One police officer died on scene, and the other female officer was undergoing surgery as Jackson Memorial Hospital when she died. The scum who shot and killed them both was killed.

Just thought I'd say a follow up.
Old January 21, 2011, 02:54 PM   #28
spacecoast

CC is more of a challenge in Florida with guns that don't fit in your pocket (given the hot weather). I am in favor of this law, I think it would be great to carry IWB and not worry about the ugly Hawaiian shirts or other coverings.
Old January 21, 2011, 03:18 PM   #29
YARDDOG(1)

Just having the option to OC would be nice, Though I think more signs will hold more wieght JMO ; )
Y/D
Old January 21, 2011, 03:28 PM   #30
rocket202

This was today in the UK!

Removing guns does not work either. You must put more guns in the good guys hands than what gets into the bad guys.

It's this simple, if the bad guys know that the good guys have guns, they don't mess with them. Common F*ing sense.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...shire-12253634
Old January 21, 2011, 03:31 PM   #31
43FLcracker

For

Born and raised in Brevard County, and Im for open carry. Just like everyone says, not so much so I can but so the right is there. I mean, how many other states allow open carry? The world is not gonna end if your allowed the right to open carry here too.
Old January 21, 2011, 07:26 PM   #32
GoOfY-FoOt

Constantine, it is simply amending the current law to, INCLUDE open carry.
AND, you must still have a concealed permit, to do so.
The bill is also addressing several other deficiencies in the current law.
Old January 21, 2011, 09:34 PM   #33
43FLcracker

Ive never heard of a ONLY open carry state, that doesn't allow concealed carry.. that sounds pretty screwy to me.

No one makes you live in Miami, and I don't think the whole state should be affected by one cities troubles.. Besides Miami-Dade county does whatever it wants anyway..
Old January 21, 2011, 09:54 PM   #34
Tactical Jackalope

Quote:
Ive never heard of a ONLY open carry state, that doesn't allow concealed carry.. that sounds pretty screwy to me.

No one makes you live in Miami, and I don't think the whole state should be affected by one cities troubles.. Besides Miami-Dade county does whatever it wants anyway..
To each their own buddy, you don't me or what bounds me to this city nor do I feel like sharing. Sorry, but for now and a long time this is home. Just saying. Thanks for your concern though.

LOL at the second part...True, it helps and hurts us. You can ask 10 Police Officers about one law and you will get 8 different answers.
Old January 21, 2011, 10:00 PM   #35
GoOfY-FoOt

Although, I'm not sure if this is current, Here are the states that permit open carry, but do not allow CC.

This from Wikipedia:
No-Issue:
A No-Issue jurisdiction is one that does not allow any private citizen to carry a concealed handgun. The term refers to the fact that no concealed carry permits will be issued (or recognized).

Illinois, Wisconsin, and the District of Columbia are No-Issue jurisdictions. While technically May-Issue under state law, Hawaii and New Jersey are also No-Issue jurisdictions in practice.

Taken from opencarry.org, Wisconsin, Hawaii and New Jersey (with permit) are open carry, while being a no issue (practicing) state for CCP.
Old January 22, 2011, 04:40 PM   #36
P5 Guy

And Tampa

Had a similar incident in Tampa last year. Folks carrying hidden or exposed wouldn't have changed the course of events.
I favor the Open Carry though I may carry anyway but hidden/concealed. North Miami, Liberty City. Suitcase City in Tampa. Any different?
Punks and thugs are a fact of life everywhere. Nothing special about the bangers in Dade that can't be found in Hillsboro, Pinellas, Manatee, Polk, and etc.
Old January 22, 2011, 07:37 PM   #37
EricReynolds

I have to agree with Marlin here that as terrible as that situation was, I doubt that people open carrying will make things worse. I have to tell you Constantine, I'm a lot more to the left than most people on here, but after reading some of your posts, I have to ask; Are you serious? I hear you saying a lot about the state of things in Miami, but let me tell you about the restrictiveness of NY. It's a lot more than FL, especially in NYC, and it's not like a a happy little eutopia because of it...
Old January 22, 2011, 08:00 PM   #38
smoakingun

hey spacecoast, there is nothing wrong or ugly about a hawaiian shirts, don't hate cause you don't look good in one
Hundreds of years from now, it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in, or the kind of car I drove... But the world may be different because I did something so bafflingly crazy that my ruins become a tourist attraction.
Old January 23, 2011, 12:42 AM   #39
Tactical Jackalope

P5 Guy - statistics pops, check out who the winner of Florida is..Or even better suited loser. There is always worse or better. Not the same.

Eric - Sorry brother, didn't get the last part. What makes it not a utopia?
Old January 23, 2011, 07:25 AM   #40
spacecoast

hey smoakingun, "hate" is a strong verb that folks of a certain political persuasion often use to describe someone with a different opinion

Constantine - I think the point is that restrictions only take guns out of the hands of the people who care about obeying laws.
Old January 23, 2011, 07:42 AM   #41
1911rocks

To the OP

I used to live in FL. Both St. Johns county, and Charlotte county. Many of my friends had CCW Permits and one of them got in a jam because he went to dinner in Placida and his 1911 was showing. Customer with a cell phone called 911. The Dinner show was free! He was arrested though the charges were dismissed...it was after all Charlotte county. I carry concealed in IN. WOuld I ever carry open, no absolutely not. I like the "shell game", the element of surprise. If I was an armed criminal, the first shot is the guy with a Gun exposed. He would be the greatest demonstrated threat. That's just my opinion. I agree everyone should have the right to OC. I think an OC no CCW law is just silly, unless you're a criminal, then it's like a threat assessment
Old January 23, 2011, 10:31 AM   #42
Tactical Jackalope

Quote:
Constantine - I think the point is that restrictions only take guns out of the hands of the people who care about obeying laws.

Whoa whoa whoa!!!! What are you talking about??? I'm far right conservative it's scary and hurts inside. When was the topic of "restrictions" brought up to me? Don't get me started on this topic cause I'm the creator of it in my own head. I don't get where you got that from pops! I'm going to read back and try to understand. Don't recall that being a topic that I've even spoke of on this forum.
Old January 23, 2011, 10:36 AM   #43
Tactical Jackalope

Quote:
I used to live in FL. Both St. Johns county, and Charlotte county. Many of my friends had CCW Permits and one of them got in a jam because he went to dinner in Placida and his 1911 was showing. Customer with a cell phone called 911. The Dinner show was free! He was arrested though the charges were dismissed...it was after all Charlotte county. I carry concealed in IN. WOuld I ever carry open, no absolutely not. I like the "shell game", the element of surprise. If I was an armed criminal, the first shot is the guy with a Gun exposed. He would be the greatest demonstrated threat. That's just my opinion. I agree everyone should have the right to OC. I think an OC no CCW law is just silly, unless you're a criminal, then it's like a threat assessment

From everything I've seen and know, THIS is EXACTLY how it's done. Most Civilians and Citizens do not have the mental capacity and physical hand to hand combat training and even stressful situations training to handle open carry and what it does. You're even more of a target. Again this is not the wild wild west. Disagree with me all you want. I know there is a lot of people who also agree with me. Element of surprise is the way to go, We've been at it for a while.

Undercover police and Police Officers that are OFF duty, carry concealed. Why do you think that is?
Old January 23, 2011, 10:44 AM   #44
Tactical Jackalope

Quote:
Eric -

I hear you saying a lot about the state of things in Miami, but let me tell you about the restrictiveness of NY. It's a lot more than FL, especially in NYC, and it's not like a a happy little eutopia because of it...

What do the laws of open carry have to do with crime in New York and Florida where neither have open carry?

What could I have possibly said to lead you to say that?

All I'm saying, is in my perspective of everything I've seen and know it would not be good for Florida (Miami). If you agree with something or oppose something then tell me about New York, indulge me. Don't know much about it. Not claiming anything that I don't know especially a whole other state or city.

Come on gentlemen stop reading what's in between the lines and not even there!
Old January 26, 2011, 12:01 PM   #45
airfoil

I was in the middle of a robbery once.

If someone open carried while there, the gang members might have shot the guy outright.

Concealed carry is great because it keeps people from knowing you have a gun when circumstances are better for it to be concealed.
Old January 26, 2011, 12:32 PM   #46
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by airfoil
If someone open carried while there, the gang members might have shot the guy outright.

Concealed carry is great because it keeps people from knowing you have a gun when circumstances are better for it to be concealed.
BUT... if someone opened carried the "gang members" might have picked another time and place rather than risk a shoot-out.

Open carry is great because it makes people who might otherwise rob you look somewhere else when if it were concealed they might rob you not knowing you were carrying.

Hm..... See how this works? It goes both ways... and nobody knows which one is right when, or how often or more often.
Old January 26, 2011, 08:48 PM   #47
Don P

Quote:
the ugly Hawaiian shirts or other coverings.
I'm flabbergasted, Hawaiian shirts ugly, OMG never.
Thats all I own for button up shirts.

Pros and cons to both ways. If the FLA law is going to be like other states if you choose to CCW you will need to have the permit to do so.
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old January 26, 2011, 08:56 PM   #48
GoOfY-FoOt

As the current Florida law reads, you must have a permit to carry concealed, unless you are employing one of the very few exceptions.
The proposed bill amendment, simply adds wording for the ability to open carry, also, but you still must have a permit.
Old January 26, 2011, 11:59 PM   #49
airfoil

Quote:
BUT... if someone opened carried the "gang members" might have picked another time and place rather than risk a shoot-out.
No offense dude, but I was there. You were not.

They actually got into a shootout at the next place they robbed, in which at least one of them was killed.

Quote:
Open carry is great because it makes people who might otherwise rob you look somewhere else when if it were concealed they might rob you not knowing you were carrying.
Or it allows you to be a target to someone who's fixing to rob the place. I'm not saying I'm against legal open carry at all; quite the opposite. I personally would never really want to do it myself though.
Old January 27, 2011, 12:07 AM   #50
sek2344

Not a good thing!

I am just so sick of hearing about this Open Carry crap. We as gun owners should be concentrating 100% on holding on to our Gun Rights and forget about pushing this Open Carry Issue. I can write an essay about how Open Carry is the wrong thing to do but I will not waste my time because If you really think about it and still don't get it, then there is nothing anyone can say or do to change your minds. Not only is it stupid and foolish but the main thing is that it is totally unnessarry for anyone in this day and age to walk around with a gun on their hip. We as a people have to understand what is going on in our society and how far we have come as civilized people and then just try to grasp on to those thoughts. I will end my argument by asking the advocates of Open Carry a question. Why did Wyatt Earp have everyone check their guns when entering Dodge City. Gun's were much more a necessity in those days than they are today, so why ban them while visiting his Town. Just food for thought!
Closed Thread