The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 13, 2008, 10:14 PM   #1
doc540

Laws regarding handload purchases?

Since I've yet to purchase reloading equipment, can I purchase .38 low pressure wadcutters from an amateur reloader who doesn't operate as a commercial business? (You know, just a couple hundred rounds a month with a return of the brass.)

If so, what shipping regulations apply?

I really need to practice more with my SD revolvers, so I'm looking for a more economical source for paper punching.

Thanks for the info.
Old April 13, 2008, 10:52 PM   #2
Grandpa Shooter

Selling reloaded ammo without a license to do so is a violation in most jurisdictions.

For practical purposes, it would be foolish to do so. There are too many variables to control to trust an amateur reloader's rounds. Reloading with someone is one thing, going out and shooting someone else's is not a good thing to do.

Please try to find a local licensed reloader.
Old April 13, 2008, 10:59 PM   #3
doc540

Thank, grandpa, I figured as much.

And, not to worry, I wouldn't shoot anything reloaded from someone I didn't know and trust or who didn't have good, local references.

Guess I better lay out the cake for that reloading equipment and get to doing it myself!
Old April 13, 2008, 11:08 PM   #4
rwilson452

To manufacture ammunition for sale without a federal license to do so is against federal law.
Old April 14, 2008, 12:11 AM   #5
aaalaska

most reloaders take pride in what they do, I don't know any that would turn you down if you ask them to help you get started ,I've started many on the way if they buy the dies powder bullets I help them learn to use my equipment ,gives the beginner the feel at minimal cost , most quickly move on with their own equipment and a few decide it's not for them, but at least in didn't cost them an arm & leg to find out.
Old April 14, 2008, 01:53 AM   #6
wpcexpert

What is the exact law?

Ok, for me to sell reloads for a profit is illegal. Is it still illegal for the reinbursment of components? And or charging for the time I spent working? This could probably be debated as a wording question. Not one I would like to go to court against.

I haven't sold, made or am thinking of doing so. Just G-wiz asking.
When once a republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.
- Thomas Jefferson
Old April 14, 2008, 06:50 AM   #7
The Lovemaster

The law says reloading and selling ammunition without a Class 06 FFL is illegal.

Last edited by The Lovemaster; April 15, 2008 at 04:06 PM.
Old April 14, 2008, 07:05 AM   #8
Sevens

Doc540--

If you need some help picking and choosing equipment on a shoe string budget that will get you started safely, we can do that. It won't be high-speed production, but it will be a start, and it won't be cheaper than two boxes of ammo, but it will be quality tools that you will still be able to use even if you end up reloading a dozen calibers 10 years from now.
Old April 14, 2008, 08:49 AM   #9
freakshow10mm

The type 06 FFL is for ammunition manufacturing. A license to sell ammunition is not required. I make ammunition, I am licensed with a type 06 FFL. If you make bullets, powder, primers, or brass casings, you are manufacturing ammunition and you need an 06 FFL. If you cast lead alloy bullets and sell them, you are manufacturing them and need to be licensed. If you pick up range brass, clean it and sell it, you did not manufacture it so you don't need the FFL.

The ATF's position is that any exchange of goods or services in exchange for ammunition constitutes an attempt to make a profit and would require licensure. If you pay someone for the components, wear and tear on their machine, etc, they are in big trouble.

If you manufacture ammunition and sell only at gun shows, a license is not required.

If you use the customer's brass and give that EXACT brass back to them reloaded, there is no Federal Excise Tax due. Certain government agencies are also tax exempt, but not all Federal agencies are, even Federal LE agencies.
Old April 14, 2008, 09:23 AM   #10
freakshow10mm

From the ATF FAQs:

Quote:
(A4) What kinds of ammunition are covered by the GCA? [Back]

Ammunition includes cartridge cases, primers, bullets or propellant powder designed for use in any firearm other than an antique firearm.

Items NOT covered include blank ammunition, tear gas ammunition, pellets and nonmetallic shotgun hulls without primers.

Generally, no records are required for ammunition transactions. However, information about the disposition of armor piercing ammunition is required to be entered into a record by importers, manufacturers, and collectors.

A license is not required for dealers in ammunition only.

[18 U.S.C. 921(a)(17) and 922(b)(5), 27 CFR 478.11 and 478.125]

Quote:
(F11) Is a license required to engage in the business of selling small arms ammunition? [Back]

No. A license is not required for a dealer in ammunition only, but a manufacturer or an importer of ammunition must be licensed.

[18 U.S.C. 922 (a)(1)(B)]

Quote:
(H4) Is a person who reloads ammunition required to be licensed as a manufacturer? [Back]

Yes, if the person engages in the business of selling or distributing reloads for the purpose of livelihood and profit. No, if the person reloads only for personal use.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a) (i) and 923(a), 27 CFR 478.41]
Old April 14, 2008, 09:44 AM   #11
k8do

Have the friend come over and help you reload... But don't try to get cute and have him pull the handle on one shell and then sell him boxes of ammo... BATF and the federal judges take a dim view of gun law violations...

denny
Old April 14, 2008, 01:07 PM   #12
wpcexpert

Great information and a really great answer Freakshow. Thanks.
When once a republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.
- Thomas Jefferson