The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting > Bullet Casting

Old April 10, 2012, 11:00 PM   #1
deerslayer303

REAL bullet lube

Hey fellas,
I was reading the instructions that came with the REAL mold. I don't know if these instructions are general for all the molds, but it says coating the entire bullet with alox is better than just lubing the grooves. (may be Lee's ploy to sell Alox). Should I do that or Pan lube the grooves? What has been your experience? The barrel of this .58 is chrome lined so I don't know if it will lead heavily or not with either lube style. Thoughts? Of course I'd rather have pretty red lube in the grooves I was planning on pan lubing with that Gatofeo lube with a couple red crayons thrown in. Can't wait to cast some of these up and try em out. Thanks for all ya'lls help!
Old April 11, 2012, 09:09 AM   #2
Rangefinder

Do the whole thing same as a cartridge bullet. It's a very thin layer you're looking for anyway.

Guns only have two enemies: Rust and Politicians.
Old April 11, 2012, 07:48 PM   #3
dickttx

Lee was probably looking to get rich on the alox they buy from someone else.
Old April 11, 2012, 08:23 PM   #4
mikld

Alox (or xlox where I buy it) works quite well for me in lower pressure loads. For my magnum loads I usually use a high pressure/velocity lube. I'm sure the alox lube will work on a large, slow bullet. A 4 oz. bottle of Lee alox will last for several hundred in not thousands of bullets so I highly doubt if anyone can get rich from selling it. A little goes a loooooooong way.
Old April 30, 2012, 10:04 PM   #5
458winshooter

Lee REAL

I have read that some folks claim alox and blackpowder don't mix well so I started looking for a lube since I bought my first muzzleloader last year.They claim that "Bore Butter"can be used as a lube but I didn't have much luck so what I did was make my own.Equal parts of beeswax and crisco melted together.
Old May 1, 2012, 05:18 AM   #6
PawPaw

At black powder velocities, almost anything will work, including hog lard. My BP lube is hog lard and beeswax. Junior uses a little alox, but I don't see the benefit. I mix a 3:1 ratio or maybe a little less beeswax, depending on how hard I want the lube to be.

Like I said, though, at BP velocities anything will work. If you simply want to tumble them in Alox, that'll work too. Which reminds me, I need to order some Xlox.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old May 1, 2012, 06:24 AM   #7
mehavey

50/50 ALOX/Beeswax (in round sticks for the lubrisizer) is the classic cast bullet lube

Shooting NSSA for many, many, many years, my preferred BlackPowder lubes
(where firing rates were high/keeping fouling soft was critical) were:

Zouave Musket: 3:1 Crisco/50-50

Enfield Musketoon
- Winter 3:1 Crisco/50-50
- Summer 4:1:1 Crisco/50-50/StraightBeeswax

1861 Colts Special Model (Original)Musket: 3:1 Crisco/50-50

1860 Army and `51 Navy: Lithium Grease

`63 Sharps Carbine: (both Buffalo Slug & NEI Conical) 3:1 Crisco/50-50 (lots of it)