The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 13, 2005, 10:32 AM   #1
AZta2guy

Lc .308

Anyone reload any of the brass??? I bought some bulk from ammoman and it is the for training marked stuff. Would like to know if anyone has reloaded it, if so is there anything I need ot be on the look for as far as problems go. I have reloaded Win. brass and it was straightforward as far as the loading goes. Just wondering because of allthe stuff about mil spec brass reloading I have read about.

thank you
Aim straight and have fun
Jon
Old September 13, 2005, 01:17 PM   #2
Superhornet

Loaded lots of LC brass in .308/30-06. Normally a little thicker than commercial. Recommendations are in most books stay 2-3 grains below max. Anyway, work it up gradually. Don't know what you mean by training rounds. If it is BLANK brass, do not load it.....
Old September 13, 2005, 02:43 PM   #3
AZta2guy

Thank you superhornet. The card board box that it was packed in has for training use only on it. Not sure what that is all about, but I figured that for the 1000 I bought that it was good for what I use it for. Besides on sun through my dsa I was nailing a propane bottle at about 200 yrds. But not blanks... that would be a nightmare... taking out the crimps and then the trimming and all that no thank you. Besides um er... hard to plink with blanks. Thank you for the info and yes I do work em up till I find the performance I am looking for. Just never done military stuff yet.

Aim straight and have fun
Jon
Old September 13, 2005, 03:34 PM   #4
Archie

"Training only"

Usually in military ammo, this means this 'lot' of ammo has had more misfires than is acceptable. (I can't remember, acceptable misfire rate is less than 1%; I would think some thing like 0.1% maybe.) So the lot number is recalled from 'regular' duty - taken out of combat zones - and shot up in practise.

If this is not US ammo, I don't know what it would be.

Check out updated journal at http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/
Old September 14, 2005, 05:24 PM   #5
Desert Dog

LC = Lake City

Definitely US ammo

"No provision in our Constitution ought to be dearer to man than that which protects the rights of conscience against the enterprises of the civil authority" - Thomas Jefferson
Old September 19, 2005, 11:20 PM   #6
echo154

There have been numerous threads posted on the"training use only" LC and I still am not sure what is the real reason for it's labeling. I bought several thousand from ammo man and have had no problems with the few hundred I have shot....there are posts on M14/M1A firing line about the cases from "01"(not sure why the cases have different years as they are supposedly newly loaded in "05"). The "01"cases have had problems with splitting but I have not personally experienced it(I have only had 20 or so of the 01 so far). The LC brass is military brass and has a circular crimp around the primer, in addition to being thicker in the base and neck. They are superb for use in the M1A platform as it can be rather tough on brass, however you will have to ream(remove the crimp)before reloading. If you decide not to reload it you can usually get a good price posting it on the PX on the M14 line as it is good stuff for the m14/m1a
Regards
echo154