The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 14, 2014, 12:00 PM   #1
goodbadandugly

Mossberg 500 question

Hi all, I'm new here.

I've got a question about a mossberg 500 i recently purchased. it's used and all.. had wood forend and stock.

Anyways,

Now the fella must have pulled the forend off the action slide rails detaching them and the action slide tube as well. it looked glued into the forend.

When i removed the piece i noticed these metal bands on the mag tube. I have no idea what they are and can't get my action slide rail piece off with the tubes in the way.. one moves and the other doesn't.

can anyone hit me with some knowledge?

Old October 14, 2014, 06:47 PM   #2
goodbadandugly

does anyone have any comments on the metal bands? or how i could remove it other than a gunsmith ?
Old October 14, 2014, 06:52 PM   #3
Blindstitch

I have no clue. Here's a parts diagram. http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Manufact...List-34118.htm

Does the slide tube have a big nut on it?
Old October 14, 2014, 07:04 PM   #4
g.willikers

It sounds like the previous owner was the kind of guy who would put Chevy parts in a Ford.
That doesn't look at all familiar to any 500 I've had.
Might have been a jury rigged (also known as field engineering) way to capture the forend or something in a buggered up gun, along with the glue you mentioned.
Old October 14, 2014, 07:22 PM   #5
L-2

From the linked website: http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Products/802720A.htm

it would appear to be an "old style" mag tube.
Old October 15, 2014, 12:31 AM   #6
Dreaming100Straight

I found this with a Google. It sounds like the guy knows what he is talking about if that helps you.

Quote:
If you take a tube like a mag tube and slide another tube over it like a slide tube, you get friction, you get binding, you get wear marks etc etc etc. Over the years, gunmakers have tried diff things and methods to eliminate those probs. Use a looser slide tube? Cuts the friction but you get more binding and wear marking in looser parts. Sloppier fit, too.

Those things on that tube above were called bearing rings and were one of the more common fixes for slide probs. They cut the friction of tube on tube contact by cutting the total area where the two tubes touch down to just the surface area of those bearings. They cut wear marking by keeping the two tubes off each other and the only marks you would get were on the hidden bearings. They cut binding by keeping the slide tube aligned with the mag tube.
Notice the wear on the tube. I think it is from the lower band sliding along it. I believe it was originally spot welded to the mag tube. You need the tube that L-2 located for you. What is going on with the forend and action slide is unclear to me. You may want to post pics of them.

Last edited by Dreaming100Straight; October 15, 2014 at 12:40 AM.