The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old June 9, 2011, 11:11 PM   #1
C0untZer0

Is Poly-T2 Robars best finish?

As far as lubricity and rust resistance and durability?

they advertise it as:

Poly-T2 provides the maximum in lubrication, abrasion resistance, corrosion protection and chemical resistance.

So I assume they're saying that it is even better than their NP3+ ???
Old June 10, 2011, 12:32 PM   #2
GURU1911

COUNT ZERO:

WOW THAT IS A TOUGH QUESTION TO ANSWER. THE ONLY PERSONAL EXPERIENCE I CAN VOUCH FOR, IS ROBAR'S ORIGINAL "NP3" FINISH. SOME FOLKS DON'T CARE FOR THE SOFT PEWTER SILVER COLOR (the electro-nickle / PTFE blend) AND SO I THINK THE NEW "POLY-T2" FINISH WILL APPEAL TO THOSE WHO DESIRE ALTERNATIVE COLORS AS OFFERED.

IN MY PERSONAL OPINION, THE "NP3 / NP3+" IS HANDSOME AS IS, BUT OTHERS HAVE THE RIGHT TO DISAGREE. I HAVE HAD NOTHING BUT EXCELLENT RESULTS FROM ROBAR CORPORATION, BOTH THEIR WORKMANSHIP & THE EMPLOYEES.

MAY I SUGGEST DIRECTING THIS QUESTION TO THE TECHNICAL DEPARTMENT @ ROBAR, SINCE THEY ARE THE MOST QUALIFIED TO DISCUSS THE PROS & CONS OF WHAT YOU WISH TO ACCOMPLISH WITH YOUR PLATING PROJECT.

PERSONAL OPINIONS & EXPERIENCES CAN BE TOUGH TO OVERCOME, EVEN WHEN FACED WITH THE PROOF OF RESULTS FROM "ASTM" TESTING STANDARDS USED WITHIN THE PLATING INDUSTRY. GET THE FACTS FIRST, THEN DECIDE WHAT YOUR PERSONAL NEEDS ARE.

I HOPE THAT THE INFORMATION I HAVE PROVIDED WILL BE HELPFUL TO YOU.

GURU1911

"THERE AIN'T TOO MANY THINGS THAT YOU CAN'T FIX, WITH $500 DOLLARS OR A .30-06"
Old June 10, 2011, 12:47 PM   #3
C0untZer0

I've kind of gotten to like the color of the NP3

There is a write-up here on the forum somewhere (I can't find it right now)where a Browning Hi-Power was refinished with it and the pistol looked beautiful.

If Poly-T2 is slicker/ more slippery - then I would go with that, but the only color I like is black.
Old June 10, 2011, 01:04 PM   #4
C0untZer0

I called Robar.

Poly-T2 is a superior coating as far as durability and corrosion resistance. NP3+ has higher lubricity.

Users have reported that their guns seem to operate smoother after NP3+ treatment, even slightly smoother triggers. I have heard some users report that their Rohrbaugh R9s and Kahr PM9 and CM9s operate better after NP3+ treatment.

It's hard for me to tell just from looking on their sight wha the colors really look like. But I would never go with tan, olive drab, dark green for my handguns. It's hard to tell but the gun metal grey doen't seem to have a metalic sheen to it so to me, at least with the one limited pic I've seen of it, I'd either choose black or NP3+ for asthetics...
Old June 10, 2011, 10:21 PM   #5
GURU1911

Plating choices to make

The "np3" plated on the frame, slide, barrel, & internal parts will "rock your world" !!!!! I have shot newly plated pistols that after about 50 rounds could be shot with no lubricant on the slide or frame rails. Firing residue wipes off with a towel. Barrel throats & feed ramps clean easily. The area around any "muzzle porting" wipes clean.

Yes, "np3" is expensive, but you are dealing with a plating company who is aerospace certified to plate airplane & outer space craft parts----how many other plates can make that substantiated claim?? None others that i am aware of.

Robar company & their "np3" plating is my personal hands-down favorite for handguns, rifles, & shotguns. They receive my personal "5-star rating", but that is only important to me, my family, & friends who have taken my advice in the past 25 years.

Guru1911

"THERE AIN'T TOO MANY THINGS THAT YOU CAN'T FIX, WITH $500 DOLLARS OR A .30-06"
Old June 10, 2011, 10:44 PM   #6
WESHOOT2

color doesn't matter

NP3 remains my current favorite (since 1997), although testing continues....