The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old September 10, 2015, 09:22 PM   #1
Stiggy21

Need advice on ammo storage

I have a closed in porch that is mostly insulated and I use as a man cave and I wanted to store a bunch of ammo back there the room will run about 15 or 20 degrees different then the rest of the house so I was wondering if that's a big deal I'm planning on getting a humidifier for the room also I will be storing in ammo cans and wanted to know if I should leave the ammo in the box or put it in loose along with the moisture packets which is better and why
Old September 10, 2015, 09:46 PM   #2
lamarw

So you are probably saying the temperature exposure will range from 50 degrees to 90 degrees. What will the ammunition be stored in as far as containers? If it is in serviceable (meaning having a good seal) military ammo cans or the equivalent , then you are probably OK for a significant number of years.
Old September 10, 2015, 10:31 PM   #3
Doyle

People are still shooting milsurp ammo from before WWII that has been stored in non-climate controlled warehouses.
Old September 11, 2015, 06:44 PM   #4
Shimpy

The last time I reloaded pistol ammo was around 1973. I still have several hundred rounds of .44 mag and .45acp and shot some in about 2010 and they shot just like new. That's 37 years old.
Old September 11, 2015, 06:59 PM   #5
rickyrick

I kept an ammo can behind the seat of my pickup for years.
In Texas

Seemed ok to me
Old September 12, 2015, 09:54 AM   #6
g.willikers

Components might be more of a concern, but ammo seems to last a very long time, even reloads.
Keeping your ammo in the original boxes in sealed ammo cans would probably be all that is necessary.
And the next generation or two could use it if you don't.
Old September 12, 2015, 10:59 PM   #7
45Gunner

Two most prevalent things to kill ammo is moisture and moisture. Keep it dry. Keep it in an even temperature so condensation does not become a factor.
NRA Life Member
Old September 12, 2015, 11:13 PM   #8
g.willikers

If churning around in the washing machine for a half hour hasn't done any damage to my reloads, and it hasn't, it's doubtful that even being submerged in a flooded basement will, and it didn't.
But if moisture seems a risk, just store the ammo in a ammo box with a lid seal.

Last edited by g.willikers; September 12, 2015 at 11:41 PM.
Old September 13, 2015, 01:40 AM   #9
Buzzcook

If the ammo stays dry you won't have a problem.

Sudden changes in temperature and moisture are what you have to worry about. Even then don't worry too much.
Old September 13, 2015, 09:45 PM   #10
Stiggy21

Ammo advice?

Do I have to keep it in the box if it's in an ammo can I'm tight on space so I could get more rounds in the can if the were not in the boxes
Old September 14, 2015, 08:36 AM   #11
g.willikers

It kind of depends on the type of ammo.
The factory cardboard boxes just keep the rounds separate.
Might be better in the case of rifle rounds with pointy bullets, though.
The boxes also help remind you id of what those rounds are.
Old September 14, 2015, 11:24 PM   #12
alan

Based on my experience, normal house temperature and humidity conditions are good for a very long time, though there might be some question re storage conditions before you acquired the ammunition.
Old September 15, 2015, 07:36 AM   #13
psalm7

I keep mine in ammo cans in the house with a o2 absorber in it . Mine are up to couple decades old and fire with out a problem . Box's look like new . I know some will argue that you can leave them under water for weeks or bury them in the ground for long term storage , but I will not . Take care of your gear and it will take care of you . I do know of couple instances . One ammo left in a unocupied house for 3 years no heat in winter and lots of drafts from windows . This ammo would misfire some would pop and smoke some would boom . One a shot gun left loaded in a barn for varmit control for years and ammo would not fire at all .

Last edited by psalm7; September 15, 2015 at 07:45 PM.
Old September 15, 2015, 03:03 PM   #14
TimSr

Quote:
Sudden changes in temperature and moisture are what you have to worry about.

You mean like people's hunting ammo north of the Mason-Dixon?
Old September 17, 2015, 08:52 AM   #15
tirod

The military uses vented bunkers with dirt over them. A lot of that is an attempt to moderate the temperature and keep things cool in the summer and warmer in the winter.

Most military ammo is cycled out of service either by firing it or by determining it's aged too much and has too many misfires. There might be old WWII surplus but duty ammo that old is rare - entirely why they sold it off.

Moisture is the #1 problem - and why military packs are in metal ammo cans sealed with gaskets with dessicant packs inside. Brass will corrode in contact with moisture - and air with moisture gets everywhere. If it's warm humid air in contact with colder metal, moisture will condense and build up. A bad seal on an ammo box will actually cause the box to fill with water in extreme conditions, like the trunk of a car. Hot weather will expand the air driving it out, cold weather will cause it to suck in more air to deposit more moisture.

Ammo is NOT water proof, the military seals the primers and the necks are crimped.

While everyone says ammo doesn't need to be stored in climate controlled conditions, what they miss is that ammo does very much need to be stored in humidity controlled areas where it won't have condensation build up wetting the brass or the box it's stored it - which will get damp from absorbing the moisture and keep it in close proximity. Goes to those sealed metal ammo cans with rubber gaskets in the military. Each one is a dry controlled micro chamber.

If you want to shoot it ten years later store it dry and keep it dry. Using surplus metal cans may mean using a food grade silicone grease on the seal to prevent leaks - that can was sold off for a reason.

It very much is about humidity control, and the military spends a lot of money on it. Once bundled the crates are palletized and they are now stretch wrapped for storage in bunkers. There is a lot done to keep ammo dry - larger rounds use individual containers which are sealed against humidity and for protection in shipping.

Keep your powder dry.
Old September 17, 2015, 09:54 AM   #16
spacecoast

Quote:
The last time I reloaded pistol ammo was around 1973. I still have several hundred rounds of .44 mag and .45acp and shot some in about 2010 and they shot just like new. That's 37 years old.
Actually, that's 42 years.
Old September 17, 2015, 10:24 AM   #17
Mike Irwin
Staff

Stiggy!

Someone stole all of your punctuation!

15-20 degrees really isn't that much, unless you're talking about 120 deg. on a regular basis.

Ammo stored in ammo cans with a dessicant packet will stay viable for a LONG time.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old September 17, 2015, 11:21 AM   #18
kilimanjaro

The box is one more layer of insulation and protection for the ammo, as well as keeping it packed in the smallest space possible.

Keep it in the boxes. Take a can and fill it with boxed ammo, count the rounds. Then dump in loose rounds and count them. You'll lose a bunch of storage capacity due to the increased voids between loose rounds.

Tags
ammo storage , storage