The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 22, 2007, 01:04 PM   #1
ixslr8

imr 3031 and barnes triple shock..

My dad and i have been reloading for a few years and i finally convinced him to try a different bullet in our 30-06's. Our previous load was a Sierra Match king in 168 gr BTHP with 46.5 gr of IMR 3031. We're gonna try the 168 gr barnes triple shock. I called both barnes and imr, neither had info on this combo of bullet/powder. Would it be safe to use this same load with the triple shock? If not does anyone have any info on starting/maximum loads? thank you for the help...
Old October 22, 2007, 02:19 PM   #2
Scorch

I am not sure why you chose IMR3031 for your loads, but it may be a good idea to switch powders. IMR4350 is one of the "standard" powders for the 30-06, and works very well with the bullets you mentioned. Since you are so close to max load, you will need to back off your load and work a new load up. The barnes TSX bullets have a large bearing area, which can affect peressure.

I personally like 165 gr bullets in the 30-06. In general, 165 or 168 gr bullets will give you about the same trajectory as the 150 gr and have more energy when they arrive.
Old October 22, 2007, 04:11 PM   #3
Unclenick
Staff

It would not have occurred to me to use something as fast as 3031 in '06, but in QuickLOAD it isn't a terrible combination. About 10% more pressure than the old M72 load of 46.5 grains of IMR4895, but more velocity, too, and not over the SAMMI pressure limit. The quickness keeps the muzzle pressure safe for Garands.

CAUTION! Loads given below are computer calculations, and not necessarily true in your gun. Back them off 10% and work up toward the suggested load watching for pressure signs

That same 3031 load with a Triple Shock raises the pressure another 10% because the start pressure for that harder bullet is higher. You would need to lower the 3031 charge to 44.7 grains to get the same peak pressure with the triple shock. You will lose about 30 fps of muzzle velocity as a result. However, 47.3 grains of IMR 4895 will give you the same peak pressure as your old load, but do it with the new bullet and actually gain 5 fps over your old 168 gr. SMK velocity. This will stay in the range of muzzle pressures that are safe for the Garand and other semi-autos.

If you are using a bolt gun, you can gain another 12 fps or so by going to about 52.6 grains of IMR 4350, but the muzzle pressure becomes unsafe for a Garand op-rod, and presumably isn't going to be as easy on other gas guns, either. It does fill the case a little better, though.

The powder my software shows would give you the highest velocity with the triple shock without raising chamber pressure is Ramshot Hunter. 55.7 grains should match your existing pressure and gain 37 fps over the 3031 SMK load. Again, the muzzle pressure is too high for gas guns.

P.S., the velocity number changes presume a 24" barrel.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle