The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old October 17, 1999, 02:27 PM   #1
Drew

I've heard people with custom rigs talking about a rifle being "trued". I know it makes a rifle more accurate, but have no clue what the process is. Can someone help me understand what is "truing"? (I hope I spelled it right) Thanx in advance.
Old October 17, 1999, 03:59 PM   #2
Gale McMillan
Member In Memoriam

When we rebarrel a action we true the locking lugs and face of the action and recut the threads and square the bolt face and lap the lugs We call it blue printing. The only way you can tell a difference is on a super accurate Bench gun. As for anything less accurate you will never know the difference but we still do it because it's the right way to do it in our eyes.
Old October 18, 1999, 12:34 PM   #3
Drew

Mr. McMillan,

I figured you might know a little on the subject. From your definition, truing is making micro-adjustments to obtaining a truly square surface?
Old October 23, 1999, 03:18 PM   #4
John Lawson

Gale: You should actually call the process of "truing" an action "UN-blueprinting," since it changes the blueprint specifications for the rifle. No production weapon should be changed so that it will no longer accept replacement factory parts, unless you stamp the vital information into the barrel , receiver and bolt with adequate warnings.
I have read the books, articles and engaged in long discussions with riflesmiths, but to date nobody has come up with an un-blueprinted rifle that shoots better than my out of the box 700. I don't understand why you feel that this alteration is the right thing to do when it bastardizes a rifle. What possible advantage can it have for the shooter? (I can see an advantage for the gunsmith.)
But, perhaps that comes from being primarily a pistolsmith.

[This message has been edited by John Lawson (edited October 23, 1999).]
Old October 23, 1999, 04:42 PM   #5
Gale McMillan
Member In Memoriam

John you may have your doubts and that's your privilege but I attribute the large number of world records and national championships my rifles have won to the fact I have done every thing that is possible to help improve the accuracy . Maybe we could get a little get together to see if my guns will out shoot yours. You'r in Tucson aren't you And when you read what is done during blueprinting what you see that will make the action not take factory parts?
Old October 24, 1999, 08:11 PM   #6
James K
Member In Memoriam

Hi, John and Gale,

John, Remingtons are very good rifles and yours may shoot as well or almost as well as the precision rifles Gale makes. The difference is that all or almost all of his rifles will shoot that well, while few out-of-box rifles will shoot as well as yours. Factory rifles are made with plus/minus tolerances on every part and every machine operation. The lucky guy gets the one in which all the figures came out right. The unlucky buyer (usually me) gets the one where they came out all wrong.

Jim