The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 15, 2014, 02:07 PM   #1
Gene Pool

Makarov grips - "different" on some IJ70's

Some of the PM/IJ70-18A Makarov pistols came with a "different" style black plastic grip. I am refering to Makarovs in 9x18 caliber with adjuctable sights. When I say different, I mean the grips have a slightly different shape low on the heel of the grip...and a different shape from military style grips. I realize this is not much of a description but it's the best I can do.

Anyway, if someone knows the "why" of this different grip, please let me know. I am presuming the gun is the same, and military grips could be installed on it if one wanted to change them out. But that is only a presumption.

Any suggestions and comments would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance,
Gene Pool
Old August 15, 2014, 02:24 PM   #2
gyvel

I think it was "Baikal" brand Makarovs that used a funky looking black plastic grip that was different than the standard military style grip. It had more of a "skirt" at the bottom, for lack of a better description.

As to the "why," it was probably because these guns were intended for commercial sales, and the Russians wanted to downplay the origins of them. (Just a guess, however.)

Any original military style grip will fit on the gun providing that it's not a double stack model.
SIFE
Old August 16, 2014, 12:16 AM   #3
fiream29

Can't remember the exact details but some of these guns were having their grips replaced in country to comply with a 'sporting purposes' rule. Seems like they added a thumbrest and enclosed the back of the grip frame. May have been an overall length thing I just can't remember. Search "Makarov thumbrest grips" on Google/Bing and you'll probably find more info.
Old August 16, 2014, 08:42 AM   #4
lee n. field

Quote:
Some of the PM/IJ70-18A Makarov pistols came with a "different" style black plastic grip. I am refering to Makarovs in 9x18 caliber with adjuctable sights. When I say different, I mean the grips have a slightly different shape low on the heel of the grip...and a different shape from military style grips. I realize this is not much of a description but it's the best I can do.
Do you have pictures?

I've had a number of different Makarov grips over time. My Baikal .380 Mak's grip is pretty much identical to the milsurp grip.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old August 16, 2014, 03:27 PM   #5
Hurryin' Hoosier

firearm29: "Seems like they added a thumbrest and enclosed the back of the grip frame."

The cheesy after-market thumb rest grip was intended both to make it a "sporterized" gun and also to increase the overall width (tying in with the US government rule on minimum overall dimensions for imported handguns).

All Pistolet Makarovas have a one-piece wrap-around grip. That's a basic feature of the pistol's design.
Old August 16, 2014, 03:38 PM   #6
Hurryin' Hoosier

Gene Pool: "Some of the PM/IJ70-18A Makarov pistols came with a "different" style black plastic grip. I am refering to Makarovs in 9x18 caliber with adjuctable sights. When I say different, I mean the grips have a slightly different shape low on the heel of the grip...and a different shape from military style grips."

Some IJ70-18A PMs came with a black grip similar to the East German grip. Some came with the red/brown bakelite "military" grip with the lanyard loop on the left side. And some have both.
Old August 16, 2014, 03:39 PM   #7
gyvel

Just to clarify: Are you talking about a single column Makarov or a double stack hi-cap model?

As I stated, original military grips will not fit on the double stack models due to modifications of the frame.

The best grip I have found for the hi-cap models is the Pearce grip. It actually feels better on the hi-cap than one does on the standards, and it certainly looks better.
SIFE
Old August 16, 2014, 03:42 PM   #8
Hurryin' Hoosier

I thought that the OP was talking about the IJ70-18A. That one is single-stack, as far as I know. The high-cap double-stack was the IJ70-18AH. It, as you say, does have a very different grip.
Old August 16, 2014, 04:28 PM   #9
qwiksdraw

Like these?

[IMG][/IMG]
Old August 16, 2014, 06:43 PM   #10
Hurryin' Hoosier

There ya' go. The top one is the classic military grip, and the bottom appears to be a rubberized(?) version of the East German grip. (But you knew that! )
Old August 16, 2014, 07:30 PM   #11
gyvel

Quote:
There ya' go. The top one is the classic military grip, and the bottom appears to be a rubberized(?) version of the East German grip. (But you knew that! )
Bottom one is a Pearce Grip. I'm beginning to think the OP might be referring to a hi-cap Makarov, which used a very funky looking grip.

Unfortunately, the OP hasn't been back since his initial post.
SIFE
Old August 16, 2014, 09:49 PM   #12
Hurryin' Hoosier

I guess I had never really looked at the Pearce grip before. It does look a lot like the East German, doesn't it?

Yeah, I agree. The OP must have had one of the high-caps. They do have a strange looking grip. I wonder if maybe he sold it and moved on?