The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 16, 2013, 03:13 PM   #1
ccwnut

Gen 4 Glock 27- solid choice for ccw?

I'm probably over-thinking this, but should I or shouldn't I? Cheaperthandirt.com has these priced at $549.00 with free shipping. I know Glocks well enought that they are solid guns. But this would be my first .40 S&W. Then there's also a slight issue with capacity. Capacity is the number one reason I love the 9mm. If I'm only carrying one gun, I prefer having as many rounds as possible. Another concern is the inherently short grip on the baby Glocks. With a 9mm, it doesn't bother me, but with a hotter cartridge, I don't know.
Old July 16, 2013, 03:17 PM   #2
Kevin_d77

I certainly wouldnt buy it from Cheaper Than Dirt....those price gouging SOB's!

Not a glock fan myself but they seem to be a common choice so I'm sure it will be sufficient!
Old July 16, 2013, 03:31 PM   #3
Rattlehead

Have you fired a 40? Experiences seem to vary with the cartridge. Some people (myself included) don't notice much difference vs 9mm, while others won't touch it with a 10-foot pole due to higher recoil...
Old July 16, 2013, 03:31 PM   #4
R1145

There is an inherent trade-off between size/weight vs. power/capacity when considering a CCW. The final factor is personal preference, and the G27 is indeed a solid choice.

They are very popular as BUGs with law enforcement. The G27 handles pretty much like the larger ones (one can even use full-size mags for more capacity and a larger grip...). The difference in recoil between the .40 and the 9mm +P rounds you should be using for SD is negligible, and this gun is not punishing to fire as are some of the really small ones.

I don't know about the condition or price issues with these particular guns (CTD must have some pretty expensive dirt somewhere...).
Old July 16, 2013, 05:02 PM   #5
BarryLee

I went through the same process about 18 months back trying to decide between the G26 & G27. I ultimately decided on the 9mm simply for the greater capacity and I in no way feel under gunned.

The G26/27 are nice carry guns and do have the feel of a “real gun” compared to some of the smaller guns I tried. However, being a double stack they are also a little wider than some of the other options, but that’s the trade off for greater capacity.

The grip was also a real concern for me and I purchased finger extension just in case. However, after practicing a little bit it has been a non issue for me. Keep in mind you can utilize larger magazines and spacers increasing capacity and grip area.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old July 16, 2013, 05:12 PM   #6
Dashunde

Quote:
Then there's also a slight issue with capacity. Capacity is the number one reason I love the 9mm.
Thats the beauty of the .40 and the G27... you give up only one round at 9+1 to the otherwise identical 10+1 of the G26 in 9mm.

The G27 is truly the biggest fist-full of (proverbial) firepower in the smallest package I have come across.
Its also the only gun that has given me a big giddy smile after its first trip to the range.
I absolutely love it. My G27 and Buckmark would be the last to go.

Edit.. I forgot...
It seems most Glocks sell for $505 (G26/27) to $540 (G20/21) to $620 (G34/35) in the St Louis area at a proper non-gouging shop.

Last edited by Dashunde; July 16, 2013 at 05:22 PM.
Old July 16, 2013, 05:36 PM   #7
LockedBreech

The G27 is a fantastic compact (though it's a bit too fat to be a "subcompact"). My brother trusts one to back up his G22 every day, and in my experience with the little firecracker the trust is well-placed.

CheaperThanDirt was not particularly a champion of the gun community during the recent shortages. If you can find an acceptable other source for the G27, I urge you to choose that vendor instead of CTD.
Old July 16, 2013, 05:43 PM   #8
JN01

With the G27, you can also get a 9mm (and .357 Sig) conversion barrel.

For greater ammo capacity, the G22 and G23 magazines will fit it as well.
Old July 17, 2013, 07:46 PM   #9
ccwnut

To Rattlehead: I have fired a .40 before- the first was a HK USP Service model
the second was an XD-40 Service model. I did love the .40, but that was from firing larger "duty guns". Now I'm doing something I never thought I'd do: consider the Glock 27 for my next carry gun. Never in a million years had I imagined I'd do this.

Last edited by ccwnut; July 17, 2013 at 07:48 PM. Reason: grammar
Old July 17, 2013, 08:42 PM   #10
Mystro

My G27 seemed to recoil more than my G29?? I got rid of it for a slimmer EDC. The G27/G26 is still chubby and is a holster gun. I think the XDS in 45acp is a better polymer EDC gun.

"Ask not what you can do for your country, but what free entitlements you can bleed from your country"
Old July 17, 2013, 08:56 PM   #11
Dashunde

Quote:
I think the XDS in 45acp is a better polymer EDC gun.
I might give it a serious look when it comes out in 40.. hopefully holding one more round than the 45 while still delivering a comparable punch.
Old July 17, 2013, 09:14 PM   #12
ripnbst

Gen 4 Glock 27- solid choice for ccw?

I don't know how you feel about the M&P platform but the shield in .40 is perfection as an EDC CCW to me.

If it was a Glock I'd go for The G27 or G23. .40 is what I would buy as it can be converted to 9mm easily. I'd much rather have a gun that can shoot both.
Old July 18, 2013, 09:42 PM   #13
igolfat8

I have a G22, 23, 27 & 35 and the 27 gets carried a LOT more than its closest cousin (23). The 22 is too bulky to carry and the 35 is out of the question. The 27 is certainly one of my favorites especially since it was born on my birthday
Old July 19, 2013, 05:17 AM   #14
biggfoot44

The Baby Glocks are very popular , and nobody could say they don't work. For versatility they can also use G19/23 and G17/22 mags , and sleeves are readily available.

To me they are neither fish nor fowl in that they are too fat for *most* pants pocket carry , while being needlessly small for belt carry, but lots of purchasers diagree. There is a near even split between users who have no issues , and those who report unpleasant "snapishness" and muzzle flip. It would be best to test drive one before purchase. I don't obsess over mag capacity , but with only 1 rd difference using the flush mags , that's negligable. But I also feel well served with my prefered loadings of +P and +P+ 9mm , and feel that 9mm looses less effectiveness from the short bbl, so a wash to my thinking.

Not withstanding all that , I recently found myself thinking I wanted a G27, primarily for eventual versatility of different length mags , and different cal/ length bbls.But I just couldn't get one to feel comfortable in *my* hand. Tried Gen 3 and Gen 4 , but still no love. Them my FFL said " have you tried one of these ? " , and handed me a G29sf . Fits me like it grew from my hand ! So I am now the happy owner of the actual most power in a small package. (Of autoloader anyway. )
Old July 19, 2013, 03:30 PM   #15
huskytaio

At the same time, my buddy bought the G26 and I bought the G27. We went straight to the range with boxes of WWB and shot each side by side. Neither of us could detect much difference in recoil. I do carry my G27 concealed with OWB holsters high and tight, and just have to wear slightly larger shirts.
Old July 19, 2013, 06:06 PM   #16
amd6547

I find it humorous that people on the net often ding the G26/27 for not being good for pocket carry.
I own the G26, and after decades of shooting and carrying all mannner for handguns, I consider it the finest carry gun I have owned.
It disappears IWB under a Tshirt, and I shoot it like full sized nine.
Old July 19, 2013, 06:18 PM   #17
Mrgunsngear

My Gen4 G27 Review

I love my G27. I shoot it a good bit; 0 failures to date and it's certainly more accurate than I am. As to the G27/G26 debate---that's something only you can decide in the end.
Old July 19, 2013, 06:27 PM   #18
igolfat8

Whichever you opt to go with 26/27, the best option IMO is a Ghost connector followed by a set of good sights. I have XS Big Dots on mine and love them.
Old July 19, 2013, 07:30 PM   #19
h518may

Yes absolutely. Glock reliability in a small yet controllable package w the ballistic performance of the 40 s&w with nearly as much capacity as a comparable sized 9mm. Been my ccw for years and probably will be for many more years to come.