The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old November 9, 2000, 08:01 PM   #1
LASur5r

I'd like to get your TFL opinion.
You're in your car...one goblin approaches your car with an impact weapon...get in or get out of the car to handle the situation?
You're in your car...one goblin is approaching your car with what looks like a gun in hand..get in or get out of the car to handle the situation?

In your opinion which is the better way to go? Some of you on my other threads say stay in the car...my buddy's wife got shot through the window.
Another friend is no longer the same because a perp threw a brick through the window of his car, hitting him in the head.
In another thread, I saw a man beheaded because he got out of the car to fight a shovel wielding crazy man.
I'm confused....anyone else?
Old November 9, 2000, 08:11 PM   #2
Gunslinger

This is a common scenario faced by police officers. As you can imagine we have people approach us while seated in our vehicles constantly. They are usually there to ask for directions and intend no harm. However, you never know which one is planning to attempt to kill you.
My practice was to draw my weapon and descretely hold it low (pointing to the floor board) next to my leg as I talked with them.

------------------
Gunslinger

Missouri; Home to ballot fraud and dead senators. We're so proud.
Old November 9, 2000, 08:23 PM   #3
Spectre
Staff Alumnus

Depends on distance, vehicle, whether running, and weapon carried.
Old November 9, 2000, 08:38 PM   #4
dragontooth73

In all honesty, if I have a car with a functional engine, that's an impact weapon. Back up, drive forward and away. If I hit the BG that's bonus points.

If the BG has a gun, then full reverse, crouch low, have engine block between me and BG. Drive drive away.

That's assuming I'm not armed. If I am, that's a different story.
Old November 9, 2000, 09:19 PM   #5
twist996

stay in vehicle....

drive away if possible....

scramble away to other side of car if possible...

------------------
speak now, or forever hold your peace
Old November 9, 2000, 10:19 PM   #6
Glamdring

I would say as a general rule if the car is running use that little pedal on the right.

If the car isn't running then it is just like any other situation [assuming the goblin is close].

If you drive a full size vehical you probably have some room inside the vehical to retreat from a single opponent a bit if needed to buy time and possibly concealment [dark tinted windows or at night] or cover. A mini van, van, and many SUV's would allow people some room to move out of drivers compartment [while drawing weapon or such] I know of a few LEO shooting because people tried that at stops.
Old November 9, 2000, 11:11 PM   #7
ctdonath

You're sitting in a metal box which can let you escape at 100 MPH or act as a one-ton club. What's the question?

Personal case:
Long story short, at the light he got out of his van and approached, apparently holding a two foot metal pipe. I never considered the Glock on my hip, because the obvious solution was to just drive away.