The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old September 24, 2008, 04:59 PM   #51
Glenn E. Meyer

Well, if you are just going to open fire on the Goth Chick with the Biker who walk into Cracker Barrel and go to register - that's a good idea for you.

Maybe they want to buy some Tipsy Fudge Cake or have a Momma's Pancake Breakfast.

I remember sitting in the Pancake house waiting for some takeout and waiting for it. I was carrying a Glock 19 with Federal 124 gr Hydrashoks in a Milt Sparks IWB. In comes a big evil looking guy in leather jacket with chains on it. He walks to the cash register.

Shoot him? Because if he draws the gun, I lost the gun fight. But guess what, he was getting take out also.

Or possibly I may have enough sense to say to myself "Hmm these guys don't look like they want waffles".

I don't have the telepathic powers to discern who to shoot all the time.
Old September 24, 2008, 05:21 PM   #52
tirvin73

Did I say shoot them because they look out of place? Did I say draw?
Old September 24, 2008, 05:22 PM   #53
Tennessee Gentleman

I am of the opinion that unless your life or the life of a loved one (not some stranger) is in immediate unavoidable jeopardy then fine to shoot.

I do not think it is right or moral to shoot a thief who is not threatening you. The recent case in Texas of Joe Horn is one that quickly comes to mind. I think Joe Horn should have been prosecuted, but he wasn't, still I think he did wrong and am glad I don't have to live with the aftermath.
Old September 24, 2008, 05:40 PM   #54
Scattergun Bob

Glenn E. Meyer

Glenn, Would you please leave the Goth Chick alone, the NEAR dead have enough problems.

Think I've fired all of my ammo on this subject, AGAIN all misses! Just wanted to again tip my hat, as of post #33 you have been compelling (Not quite as good as "what to do when the police come"), but a quality voice in favor of reason.

Aren't Milt's summer specials wonderful holsters, have now retired mine after 25 years of use for a Bladetec IWB. Times, they do change.

Good Luck & Be Safe

PS By the look of things, guess I need to reload and re-engage!

Last edited by Scattergun Bob; September 24, 2008 at 09:01 PM.
Old September 24, 2008, 06:43 PM   #55
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
Double Naught Spy
armed robbery, where at no time did the original thread mention guns pointed at the CCW holder or his family. That has been the issue and discussion. Do you intervene on a armed robbery, not that the gun is pointing at you, if I remember correctly "guns waving around" was the exact quote.
Yes, I am sure they didn't point a gun at a single person during the robbery such as those not complying fast enough. :barf:

You don't have to be swept by a gun to consider your life in danger by robbers who are systematically robbing the patrons of the eatery.

Of course, you can do whatever you want, but if I am in a place during an armed robbery where the robbers have taken control of the situation, then I consider my life as being in danger and I won't have any problems justifying my actions via case or book law.
Old September 24, 2008, 06:58 PM   #56
Scattergun Bob

Double Naught Spy

I do not care about others, I am no longer a sheepdog, Good Luck white knight. When you are done I hope those very sheep you protect don't accuse you and file on you. :barf: right back at ya, sport.
Old September 24, 2008, 08:04 PM   #57
skydiver3346

Criminolgy literature? Are you nuts?

My response to David Armstrong who keeps ranting on what we should do when something terrible happens to us. I find it very hard to believe he was ever in law enforcement?? He doesn't have a clue to what I have been saying happened to me, (or all the other folks out there who are robbed and their life is put at rish by some low life loser).
Who the hell has time to worry about looking up some B.S. written by some legal eagle who says "this is exactly what you must do when your life is threatned or else you could end up in deep doo doo" Gag me! What a joke! You don't have that much time to think about it David. Trust me son, its scary and I acutally peed in my pants. I was attacked and injured. I was lucky because others have not walked away from robberies.
Maybe you need to go teach somewhere in a very liberal college where they would understand your "thinking"...........
I can't becuse, THIS IS THE REAL WORLD.
Old September 24, 2008, 08:21 PM   #58
Hook686

Quote:
... I am troubled by having to make the choice between passive and aggresive responce in a situation like the one in the post above or the threads in past posts. I know what the law says, but what would a reasonable person do?

If one knows what the law says, what is wrong with complying with the law ? If one does not, how can one say they are better that those that violate the law ?

It seems to me that if this distinction becomes blurred, then so does the 'line' between legal and illegal.

When the number of people in institutions reaches 51%, we change sides.
Old September 24, 2008, 08:39 PM   #59
tirvin73

"I do not care about others"-Scattergun Bob

Tough to hear you don't care about others. The simple fact is, there are those of us here that will not be robbed, beaten, or watch this happen to our loved ones. It's not about saving the world, its about doing what needs to be done to protect ourselves. Not sitting there quietly and hope it does not take a turn for the worse.
Old September 24, 2008, 08:59 PM   #60
Scattergun Bob

tirvin73

Please understand, for 20 plus years I was responsible for the safety and defense of others. I have great pride and bare the scars of that service. I am not suggesting that others are wrong doing this. I am simply saying that those who can not defend themselves need to look toward another white knight (sheepdog) beside ME. If that is a problem for you, well, DO your 20 and then see how you feel.

I don't know why you would construe my posts to suggest that I would "be sitting there quietly and hope it does not take a turn for the worse." If you knew my history and my writing you would find that observation as funny as I do . If a true and valid threat identifier is present, trust me I will respond with decisive and aggressive behavior, It may not be in the manner of the Hondo's on the forum.
Old September 24, 2008, 09:18 PM   #61
tirvin73

I do not feel that it is the LEO's responsibility to protect me or my family.
Old September 24, 2008, 09:26 PM   #62
Scattergun Bob

tirvin73

OK, and .................?
Old September 24, 2008, 11:53 PM   #63
Hondo11

Quote from Scattergun Bob:

If a true and valid threat identifier is present, trust me I will respond with decisive and aggressive behavior, It may not be in the manner of the Hondo's on the forum

That's the kind of snide remark I would expect from a chick. Please tell me you weren't rolling your eyes with your hands on your hips when you said that?

Not one time did I ever advocate just blazing away. I even stated that I did NOT. I merely posted an opposing mindset to "sit back and give them what they want because the stats/odds are they won't shoot me."
Old September 24, 2008, 11:57 PM   #64
pax

And that's about enough of that.

pax
Closed Thread