The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old March 7, 2010, 10:04 PM   #1
BirdieShooter

93R17 Barrel Pin/Plug?

I am working on a Savage 93R17 (pre accutrigger) that a buddy’s kid tore COMPLETELY apart. Even took the barrel out of the receiver. What looks like it might be another barrel pin hole had some sort of soft plug material in it that looked like it was tore. After a little bit of grilling with dad not around I got him to tell me that he couldn’t get the barrel to come out so he put the receiver in a vise and turned the barrel out with a pipe wrench, YAY! He said that he did indeed tear whatever this soft material was right in two as he never noticed it until he got it out. Now the GOOD news is he actually used wood blocks in the vise and wrapped hard rubber around the barrel before he put the pipe wrench on it. I have been through everything and it all looks good and everything goes back together perfectly but I don’t know anything about this soft plug, what it’s for, what to replace it with. Can anybody help me out with this?
Old March 8, 2010, 12:13 AM   #2
hickstick_10

take it to your local gunsmith
Old March 8, 2010, 01:52 PM   #3
BirdieShooter

Ok, perhaps I should be more specific. Does anyone have any factual information, (with reference?) or firsthand experience concerning the plug in question from my original post that they would be willing to share with me in an effort to expand my personal knowledge and assist me with the reassembly that I will be performing? I will not be in need of opinions of what I should, or should not, do or conjecture as to my intelligence and/or ability to complete my task competently. I am merely trying to gather some information that I have yet to find elsewhere.
Old March 8, 2010, 02:52 PM   #4
hickstick_10

my apologies if I insulted you (it wasn't intended), but if I knew someone had completely dissasembled a rifle with a pipe wrench and a bench vise myself I would take it to a gunsmith for inspection.

Best of luck in finding your answer
Old March 8, 2010, 03:43 PM   #5
James K
Member In Memoriam

"I will not be in need of opinions of what I should, or should not, do..."

OK

Jim
Old March 8, 2010, 07:27 PM   #6
BirdieShooter

Hick, I wasn't insulted, just trying to clarify what I was looking for. I didn't realize how that sounded until I re-read it after your post. Maybe I should be the one apologizing? Although not needed I do accept your apology and thank you for it and thank you for taking the time to read my post. When I joined the Firing Line I had told myself I was going to check in daily to see what, (if any) good knowledge my feeble mind could share but I never seem to find the time so I definitely appreciate those that can and do.