The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 18, 2006, 07:51 PM   #1
Captain Clay

Would like to start handloading... what do I need

I've been reading this section of the forum and I think I am starting to get some idea of what I might need, but... I could use more info. If you guys could help, I would greatly appreciate it.

I would like to be able to handload 9mm, 38spcl, .357mag, .40s&w, and .45acp. I'm willing to spend $600-$700 on everything I need to get started. Is that enough? Anyway, I need to know everything I'll need (includuing any helpful "how to" books). I would love to have a parts list (copied from the info you guys might so kindly share) to take with me to the gun show here this weekend and see how much of it I can come home with.

Thanks in advance.

Clay
Old January 18, 2006, 08:14 PM   #2
mxwelch

Quote:
I've been reading this section of the forum and I think I am starting to get some idea of what I might need, but... I could use more info. If you guys could help, I would greatly appreciate it.

I would like to be able to handload 9mm, 38spcl, .357mag, .40s&w, and .45acp. I'm willing to spend $600-$700 on everything I need to get started. Is that enough? Anyway, I need to know everything I'll need (includuing any helpful "how to" books). I would love to have a parts list (copied from the info you guys might so kindly share) to take with me to the gun show here this weekend and see how much of it I can come home with.

Thanks in advance.

Clay
Get something like a RCBS turret press kit. It comes with everything you need except dies. Scale, powder measure, etc... It's a great way to get started. The turret will allow you to leave your dies set up and adjusted right. You can even buy extra turrets. Six to seven should more than cover it.
Old January 18, 2006, 08:21 PM   #3
Thirties

$600 to $700 is a very realistic figure for everything you will need.

As for books, I recommend three:

1- Speer Manual #19, link here: http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=636126

2- This Lyman book linked here: http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=277752

3- And this book, photo below, available used from Amazon, etc. 1981 edition, not the current edition.

Amazon used sales link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/off...Fencoding=UTF8

photo of the book is here below . . . you will have a lot of good times loading your own ammo -- a good decision indeed!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg handloadingbook.jpg (26.0 KB, 18 views)
Old January 18, 2006, 08:22 PM   #4
craigntx

need:
press
scale
dies
powder
tools to adj dies
table or bench to mount on
bullets
primers
loading data
the press will have instructions on assy
and should have some recipes you can start with
with the $ you got youre close to a dillon, arguably the best made. its a progressive, meaning each pull of the handle produces a round. a single stage is slower but wont jam. if your mech. inclined even somewhat a pro. will be worth it. if loading for a semi auto load a few and test fire to see if it jams

9mm is so cheap it dosent pay to reload, unless you just wanna experiment for accuracy.
if this is the houston show im going and can help you look
pm me
craig
Old January 18, 2006, 09:13 PM   #5
Captain Clay

Thanks for the tips guys. The show I'm headed to is in Lakeland FL. Thanks for the offer though. I'll see what I can find at the show.
Old January 18, 2006, 09:22 PM   #6
Barr

A tumbler and media to clean your brass is good too.
Old January 19, 2006, 12:08 AM   #7
Plated

I love to stay organized.... so I have to say get some loading blocks. Makes loading in sets very easy also makes throwing powder charges a snap. They are very cheap, but if you want to save money you can make some very easily.

ohh yeah, plan for somthing to store all the newly loaded rounds in. Plastic ammo boxes are cheap and handy to have to get you to the range
Old January 19, 2006, 08:11 AM   #8
craigntx

thanks barr

i knew i was forgetting something
Old January 19, 2006, 06:51 PM   #9
Russ5924

If you can spend that I would get a DILLON 550
Old January 19, 2006, 08:42 PM   #10
dairycreek

A good place to start is with the RCBS reloading kit. Has most of what you need to start at an initial cost of around $260.00 not including dies.

It will get you started and will always be of value.

GOOD SHOOTING