The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old June 13, 2013, 01:34 PM   #1
Sweet Shooter

New 686-6+

This is a six inch barrel seven shot version. Beautiful brand new, my S&W cherry. While I was cleaning it the other day I noticed that a patched jag fed from the muzzle (obviously) became noticeably looser just as it gets to the forcing cone where the barrel threads into the frame. The cone machining looks a little rough but I suspect will shoot smooth eventually. Is that slack spot a normal thing? It is not part of the cone. The slack is felt about an eighth to a quarter of an inch before the cone.

What are your thoughts guys?
-SS-
Old June 13, 2013, 03:12 PM   #2
AID_Admin

Can not comment on the slack spot, as I don't think I completely understand your description, but I will comment on the forcing cone machining marks. Unfortunately these marks are more or less normal on the contemporary revolvers. I recently got a revolver with machine marks and some guys on the forum questioned them on my pictures. I went ahead with some online research and quickly learned that forcing cones on many contemporary revolvers from both S&W and Ruger have these marks. They don't seem to effect accuracy though, so other that visual esthetics when cylinder is out they do nothing...
Old June 13, 2013, 04:46 PM   #3
SgtLumpy

I don't have an answer to your forcing cone question. But I'd sure like to see pics of your new 686..

Sgt Lumpy
Old June 13, 2013, 11:41 PM   #4
Sweet Shooter

Gun photos are doable. This 686 fits in my Vaquero holster perfectly. As Muddy Waters would say... "there's another mule kicking in my stall". All I need are some zombies.

Incidentally, I talked to S&W and they said the slack spot is where they ramp-up the lands after the cone. They were very patient with my pedantic observations.

I love this revolver... for the first time ever—no buyers remorse.
-SS-

Last edited by Sweet Shooter; December 18, 2014 at 06:09 PM.
Old June 13, 2013, 11:43 PM   #5
Sweet Shooter

MORE

MORE...

Last edited by Sweet Shooter; December 18, 2014 at 06:09 PM.
Old June 14, 2013, 09:46 AM   #6
SgtLumpy

Be You Tea Full...

Shoot lots. When you get a chance to form an opinion, I'd be interested in hearing how you feel about that big, heavy bbl sticking out there. I've only shot a 4" 686. Didn't feel unbalanced at all. I hope the six inch is still similarly well balanced.

Sgt Lumpy
Old June 14, 2013, 04:15 PM   #7
Sweet Shooter

Well I like it so far. It doesn't flip much even with hot .357s. Bench rested this gun is shooting around about 2.5 inches at 25 yards. I want to put it in a ransom rest to see if that will improve.
-SS-
Old June 17, 2013, 01:49 PM   #8
Wyoredman

I have that revolver's twin! Excellent gun, IMO.

I am glad you like it.

Don't let any one tell you that it is not an excellent revolver because it has a lock. I don't really care, mine is a sweetie, as I'm sure is yours!

Enjoy!
Old June 17, 2013, 02:17 PM   #9
Sevens

Quote:
When you get a chance to form an opinion, I'd be interested in hearing how you feel about that big, heavy bbl sticking out there. I've only shot a 4" 686. Didn't feel unbalanced at all. I hope the six inch is still similarly well balanced.
First revolver I owned was a 6", no-lug Model 17/K-22. Felt great, if a bit light.

Second revolver I ever owned and the first I ever bought (paper route money) was a 6" 686-3, and I thought the look was EXACTLY what a revolver was supposed to look like.

The feel and balance, I always thought, was also exactly right. However, over a -lot- of time and experience, I do absolutely find it muzzle heavy and ill-balanced now. And what I really find is that I notice things like "balance" so much more now than I ever did in the past, and it seems to almost be something I'm forever chasing.

I find a noticeable difference between a heavy barrel and a pencil barrel Model 10. I think a four-inch full lug, like a 686, has a fantastic balance, better than my six-inch 686.

I've got myself convinced that a five-inch barrel may be the ULTIMATE "Goldilocks" length, but the truth is... it changes depending on caliber, too. I owned a full lug, five-inch Model 625 for a short bit, and it seemed a bit LIGHT at the muzzle, , and I told myself it was because of the bigger .45-cal hole taking away weight that a .357-cal hole doesn't.

Still love the first revolver I ever bought with my own money, that 686-3. But I don't shoot it as often as some others, and when I do shoot it, I usually put 150-250 through it in one session, and what occurs to me is that, WOW, it's muzzle heavy and after that long session, I'm ready to put it away for a while before I take it back to the range.

Sometimes...I believe I over-think it.