The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old July 1, 2007, 01:33 AM   #1
ROA

I want to buy a Colt BlackPowder revolver!!

Hey guys, I just saw some fine specimens of BP revolvers made by Colt, but man are they expensive!! I thought the ROA was expensive, but these are more! Why is that? Are they better?? The one I saw was a walker, it was a beauty, it put the italian made ones to shame, I was surprised... I'm lookin to buy one if you guys know about anywhere where I can find one, maybe a 3rd generation? It doesn't have to be in the box, I'm looking for new, though...
Old July 1, 2007, 11:38 AM   #2
K.A.T.

Colt

Try these online auction sites: AuctionArms.com GunBroker.com GunsAmerica. I think this guy still has a few, WWW.Gary'sGun.com. Natchez Shooters Supplies still has a few. What is the price of the Walker you looked at?
Old July 1, 2007, 04:56 PM   #3
ROA

Really Hard to find one...

Hey KAT, thanks for the information for the links! Tried to look some up, but there weren't much for sale, except mostly for $1,000. and up! Wow, they are expensive.... I will keep trying.. Thanks, Kat. By the way, I have not seen one in person, and I don't think I will be able to unless I get one myself, have you seen one? How is the quality?? How is the function/accuracy??

Thanks.
Old July 1, 2007, 06:25 PM   #4
w_houle

Some people swear by 'em and some swear at 'em but it is hard to find a neutral opinion as to how they work. Some people say they are inherently weak due to a lack of a topstrap, and I think thats a load of horsefeathers. I personally think you move into another realm of shooting when you move from a repro to the real deal. With that being said I think that repros are just fine to shoot, although unless you are looking at a sweet deal try to steer clear of brass frames due to the inability to use conversion cylinders
my $.02
Bill
Old July 1, 2007, 07:51 PM   #5
K.A.T.

Colt's Quality

I have 2 colts, a 1860 Army, a 1851 Navy that I have not shot yet, I,m waiting on some .375 balls for the 1851. I think the Colts have the best fit and finish. My 1860 Army shoots about 8'' high at 25 yds. but groups great, it is more accurate than I can shoot. They are built to be dead on at 75 yds. that is why they are high at 25 yds. If you want to see a pretty Walker go over to The High Road forum and look down about 25 threads to "New Walker". I have a Uberti 1858 Army that shoots as good as the Colt,it is Stainless Steel so I can't compare the finish. I have looked at some Ubertis at several shops and I like the Colts better, but that is my opinion. Are they really worth the extra money? I think alot of people would argue about that. I do want a "Colt" Walker but I don't think I can justify paying that much money over the Uberti. Be carefull about buying used BP guns online,everyone doesn't clean them like it should be done. If you buy a "Colt" and shoot it, it will drop a lot more in value than a replica will. That is not a bad thing,if you want to enjoy the Colt and use it, just be ready to accept that fact up front. As for me, I bought mine to shoot. You may want to wait on buying a Walker if this is your first BP revolver.The 1858,1860,or 1851 may be a better one to start out with.
Old July 1, 2007, 08:21 PM   #6
Grizz Adams

Beautiful pistolas, and nicely finished in this country. The castings for both the 2nd and 3rd generation BP Colts are Uberti. Some of the internal parts and screws are American. I guess you can say the Colts is a Uberti in an nice American dress! The 2nd generation are considered to be Colts.
Old July 1, 2007, 10:46 PM   #7
Old Dragoon

I have 2 2nd Gen Colt 1851 Navies and I have shot two CAS matches with them and only had one bobble on the last shot of the last stage of the last match when one locked up never did see what caused it but it appears that the bolt leg got misplaced over the hammer cam and locked it up. No cap jams and they hit where they point(I have heard that some don't). I love them and will continue to shoot them sparingly now that I have two Belgian Colt Armies and my original Remy conversions. I can trade off and spare them all. Someone said I'd shoot the value out of them but between the top prices and the bottom prices...it'll take a heck of a lot of shooting and mishandling to get to the bottom prices of their worth. I shoot them, clean them, oil them, and put them in their Cabelas zipperd pistol pouches till the next time.
Besides, I bought them right and that helps a lot.

Look around on the online auctions and there are some good deals, I'd suggest that you buy 2nd Gen and not 3rd Gen, but that is my opinion.
Old July 3, 2007, 04:40 PM   #8
bprevolver

Stainless Walker

I looked at the Walker on High Road. It appears that only the barrel is polished and not stainless steel. I am not familar with any Walker replicas being stainless steel. If there are any I would appreciate any information about them. I have a NIB Colt 3rd Generation Walker for sale for $950 plus shipping.

[email protected]

Last edited by bprevolver; July 3, 2007 at 04:43 PM. Reason: add
Old July 5, 2007, 12:25 AM   #9
Cranky1

I have a genuine 2nd generation colt. It's proberly the nicest looking revolver model ol' Sam Colt ever made.... 1862 Pocket Police. It is in excellent condition with original black box and papers. I am having a hard time getting anybody to even ask about it and it's only $395 !!!

Regards,
Cranky
Old July 5, 2007, 12:25 PM   #10
Old Dragoon

Sounds like a decent price to me.!
Old July 6, 2007, 02:28 PM   #11
ROA

I finally Got ONE!!!- Good price, too!!- at-natchez's

Guys, I got one, for an excellent price!! I got the 1860 army, and It won't be no safe queen, I plan to use the heck out of it for hunting/target shooting, everything.. Where can I get a quality holster/extra cylinders for it? And also, what is the correct size/brand balls to use for this gun? Any experience with this??

Thanks,

ROA
Old July 6, 2007, 02:31 PM   #12
ROA

Presentation case for 1860 army....

Do you guys know where I can get an original Colt presentation case for the 1860 army??
Old July 6, 2007, 07:45 PM   #13
James K
Member In Memoriam

I will defer to the experts, but AFAIK, ALL the Colt BP repros were made in Italy (by Uberti), then finished in the U.S., but not in Hartford. Colt set up another plant just for the Colt BP, then later cut ties, but allowed the outfit to continue use of the name.

One interesting point, those Colts are the only repros I have seen with safety pins. The other makers slot the bottom of the hammer, but don't install the pins. I have no idea what they think that slot is for.

Jim
Old July 6, 2007, 11:41 PM   #14
Old Dragoon

Jim you are mis- informed.

From the Modern Bluebook of Blackpowder Arms by Allen and Adler.

COLT´S MANUFACTURING COMPANY, INC. Current firearms manufacturer with headquarters located in West Hartford, CT.
Colt´s Manufacturing Company, Inc. is the previous manufacturer of 2nd Generation Colt percussion revolvers located in Hartford, CT. Colt used subcontractors to supply rough castings for the manufacture of these black powder pistols. Throughout the production years 1971-1982, these rough castings were produced in Italy and the reproductions were completed in the United States. Initially, Val Forgett and Navy Arms provided these parts/components during 1971-73. Lou Imperato supplied these parts from 1974-76. In both instances, these revolvers were assembled and finished in Colt´s facilities in Connecticut. Finally, from 1978-1982, Colt subcontracted both parts procurement and final production to Lou Imperato and Iver Johnson Arms in Middlesex, NJ. Colt percussion revolvers produced by Iver Johnson had frames, center pins, nipples, and screws manufactured in the United States. In all instances, these revolvers were manufactured in accordance with Colt´s strict specifications and quality control. Additionally, Colt´s performed final inspection for all models. All percussion models manufactured from 1971 through 1982, either by Colt or its subcontractor, are regarded as authentic Colt pistols and not Italian replicas.
The Colt Custom Shop also produced a limited number of special editions through the early 1990s from 2nd Generation production inventory. (Colt 2nd Generation models in the white are still known to exist.)

COLT BLACKPOWDER ARMS CO. Previous manufacturer and retailer of 3rd Generation Colt Black Powder pistols and muskets located in Brooklyn, NY 1994-2002.
All 3rd Generation Colt blackpowder models are also referred to as Signature Series Models.
A reprise of the original Colt Blackpowder line, along with historic models not offered in the 2nd Generation, and a new series of Commemoratives, each model (with the exception of the Heirloom Tiffany 1860 Army and 1842 Texas Paterson) bears the Sam Colt signature on the backstrap. These 3rd Generation models were manufactured under an authorized licensing agreement with Colt Firearms by Colt Blackpowder Arms Company – the same company (and many of the same craftsmen) responsible for the 2nd Generation Colt revolvers. Although parts for the Signature Series were cast in Italy, they were fully assembled and hand finished in the United States using the proprietary Colt formulas for bluing and color case hardening.
Colt Blackpowder Arms Company Signature Series revolvers are regarded as authentic Colt pistols. The 3rd Generation models have original Colt markings, including the barrel address and serial number stampings. There are no foreign proof marks on these authentic Colt models.

Also, Centaur, the Belgian maker of Centennial Arms Colts (1960 New Model Army)in the 1960's also used the safety pins and slotted hammers, but of course they were not Reproductions, but re-issues under Colt liscense with the original company in Belgium that made the Brevet Colt's under liscense to old Saml. Colt in the 1850's-60's.
Old July 7, 2007, 12:34 AM   #15
Shotgun Willy

pins

The Traditions (Pietta) 1860 I bought a couple of months ago has the pins. I like the pins for when I load in the house and walk out into the back yard to shoot it. However, I don't think that I trust them enough to carry it full time using them.
Bill
Old July 11, 2007, 04:39 PM   #16
ROA

I got my 1860 in the mail yesterday....

I finally got my 1860 army w/fluted cylinder in the mail yesterday... It is BEAUTIFUL!! The fit and finish is much better than a lot of the replicas out there, after all, it is an original.. At least thats what I paid for... The balance and handling is smooth, and surprisingly has a lot of finesse.... Overall, I found it to be a really SEXY bp gun, if there ever was one.. I'm so used to Ruger Old Armie's, they seem like Brutes compared to the sleek colt.. I can't wait to shoot it.. I don't know the cylinder capacity, as mine didn't come with an owners manual, I got the signature series for $468.00- Brand NIB... I can see myself deer hunting with this come this fall... Any advice for care of this gun? Its not going to be a safe queen, but rather a trusty back up peice for years to come.... I don't know about colts...

ROA
Old July 11, 2007, 10:19 PM   #17
Old Dragoon

Good Deal on the 1860 Army. Just clean it like any other BP gun when you are finished. I lube mine generously with Olive oil for the innards and the arbor and I use Bore Butter over the balls to keep the fouling soft and slick I can get 5 stages in a CAS match without slowing down or binding up. In fact I'm shooting my Centennial re-issue 1860 Army's (Circa 1960-1968) and my 2 gen 1851 Navy's in a match Sunday. I intend to switch out the guns for each stage.
Old July 14, 2007, 10:42 AM   #18
ROA

Which is better between a 2nd generation and 3rd generation Colt??

If you had the choice between a 2nd generation 2nd model dragoon, and a 3rd generation 3rd model dragoon, which one would you choose and why? Which is made better? Which has more value? Thanks in advance!!

Also, do you guys know where I would be able to get instructions for taking the colt 1860 apart for cleaning? Mine didn't come with care instructionsi for some reason. I'm scared to try it, I'm not quite sure how this works, and I don't want to mar it. Thanks guys...
Old July 14, 2007, 12:26 PM   #19
Old Dragoon

SECOND GEN. EVERY TIME NO QUESTION!!

I sent you a PM Response.
Old July 14, 2007, 02:18 PM   #20
James K
Member In Memoriam

Thanks for the info, Old Dragoon, I stand corrected.

But I beg to disagree on the quality of guns from Colt Blackpowder Arms Co. I had one, and have seen several more, and consider them junk. Mine was so poorly made the barrel was canted to the side due to the base pin hole being drilled at an angle. There were gaps between the frame and trigger guard and grip strap, the key was too small and fell out, the hammer contacted the nipples, and the action was rough. The others had other problems, but none, IMHO, were worthy of having Colt on them. The finish was nice, which originally attracted me, but I dumped the junker at a loss.

I also have guns from the original batch, which I guess were "made" in Hartford, and they are OK. I have a cased set of 1860 Armies, with the stock and they are very nice, though not up to the finish of the originals (few modern guns are).

Jim
Old July 15, 2007, 08:39 AM   #21
BP newby

Colt or Remington style

For my money, I prefer the Remington style with the top strap. They just look stronger.
I bought a Colt 1860 from my brother, took it to the range to shoot and the barrel wedge worked it's way, almost completely out. The retaining screw is a joke, because the gunsmith says that it really doesn't hold the wedge in place. Just the fact that the wedge has to be hammered in and out to take the barrel off for cleaning is a pain.
I've had the Colt sitting at the gunsmith waiting for a new barrel wedge for over three weeks (waiting for parts), I guess.
Maybe the original guns were ok, but I'll never buy another one.

I have an 1858 New Army, 44 cal (Remi style) and an Rogers and Spencer, 44 cal, also a Remi style, which I really like.

Like another commenter remarked, ' just my $0.02 worth'.

bp newby
Old July 15, 2007, 09:10 AM   #22
Chris_B

Well I am new to this myself, but my understanding is that if you use the correct load, the lack of a top strap isn't a concern for black powder. That's what I'm told

Obviously, the Remington looks much more like a modern revolver, and even Colt's later designs looked like the 1858 Remingtons. There's a reason for that- strength, and ease of use.

On my Colt (pietta), the wedge has gone from tapping (not hammering) it in and out, to being able to put it in by hand, while removal still requires a single sharp tap. I was told it would wear in, and it is. I have, let's see...76 rounds through it total, was unfired when I got it

Barrel cone to cylinder alignment is key on this pistol, from what I read. Mine seems pretty OK. I can see a gap between the cone and the cylinder when the hammer is down. If I put a piece of paper between the two and full cock the hammer, I can just slip the paper out. With the hammer down, I estimate about 0.010" gap between the cone and cylinder (I work with close tolerance all day, used to inspect parts for F-18).

In my opinion, just looking at the design as a machine, the screw that is above the barrel wedge isn't to hold the wedge by screwing it in all the way, it is to tension the spring on the wedge. You can vary the distance of the screw, the head rides the tang, and from that dynamic you adjust the tension, depending on just how far the wedge needs to be set, which apparently varies from pistol to pistol. That's just my opinion, looking at the pistol as a machine. I'm sure that when the barrel wedge was phased out, there were smiles all around!