The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 16, 1999, 09:33 AM   #1
karlfitt

I have seen some good advice given out to the new reloader's here but one thing is being omitted. Brass cleaning.
It is important to have your brass clean before you start to reload it.
It allows you to inspect the cases better, you don't want to reload a cracked or bent case.
It protects your dies, a piece of irt on a case can ruin a rssizing die.
Nice shinny cases look better.
I use a Midway and a Dillon tumbler with Corn cob media and Dillon Brass Polish. I have had excellent results with this combo.
I also use a Dillon seperator to seperate the brass from the media when done. This is much quicker than the old collander I was using, and it also gets all of the media out of the rifle cases easier.
One last tip, when you get back from the range, put the brass in the seperator and give it a few cranks, it gets all of the loose dirt off of it before you throw it into the tumbler.

Karl
Old November 16, 1999, 10:15 AM   #2
smoney

thats good advice, but, you forgot 1 important thing, don't put large bore pistol and small together, ex. 44mag/45cold with 9mm/380. they will be stuck together and sometimes can't be taken appart, and extremely time consuming at least. I personally use a lyman tumbler with RCBS walnut media, and brass polish. and have had excellent results.
Old November 16, 1999, 11:06 AM   #3
John Lawson

Good advice about sifting before tumbling. Luckily, the range where I fire has fine mesh screen between firing points and a large concrete floor. If you load cases with a large primer pocket and use walnut shell media, do not decap first. Those walnut shell granules get stuck down in the flash hole for the big time. Sift, tumble, sift, resize/decap, enjoy.
Some reloaders complain about the stickiness and dirt attraction when using Dillon case lube. I solved that problem when I went on night patrol and captured a large bath towel out of the dryer. After reloading, place loaded rounds on the towel and roll them around for a while until all traces of the lube are gone, then return the towel to the clothes hamper for recycling. Hopefully, nobody will ever be the wiser. However, if your significant other opens the hamper and exclaims, "Hey, it isn't Saturday!" you had better hide.

[This message has been edited by John Lawson (edited November 16, 1999).]
Old November 16, 1999, 08:35 PM   #4
WalterGAII

Another tip that I've found really handy:

When your media gets pretty gunky, you can "renew" with a capful of Nufinish and two caps of mineral spirits. My brass comes shinier than ever before, with anybody's commercial media treatment.