The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old March 15, 2002, 06:29 PM   #1
Alex Johnson

Ithaca 16 guage double

Hi everybody, nice to be back online. Last week I acquired a fine old double barrel Ithaca, outside hammer 16 guage double with AA grade damascus barrels. I perhaps bought it a bit hastily since I haven't seen many 16 guage damascus shotguns and this one appeared to be in pretty good shape. Mechanically, aside from a set of broken firing pins which I have already fixed, the gun is in great condition, though none of the finish remains on the metal. The Buttstock and forend have both been cracked and repaired, while not a bad repair it was an old and visible one. I'm thinking about restocking it and having the metal work refinished with period techniques, ie casehardening the action and browning the damascus tubes. My one concern is does this Ithaca have any collector value in its present condition that would make it a bad idea to proceed. I have no problem proceeding if the value is under $300, but if it's much over that I would be leery. The one thing somewhat unusual (at least to my thinking) is that it has 32" tubes where most of my other guns have 28-30". Could anyone tell me anything about the history of this old girl, her serial number is 34XXX. Thanks a lot.
I thoroughly disapprove of duels. I consider them unwise and I know they are dangerous. Also, sinful. If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand and lead him to a quiet retired spot and kill him.
- Mark Twain
Old March 16, 2002, 03:33 AM   #2
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

Alex:
From your description the gun you have is the "New Double Bolted Gun" In 1915 Ithaca replaced the New Ithaca Gun with a model referred to as "our new model two bolt hamemer gun The new hammergun had coil springs powering the external hammers. The "two bolt" lock up was accomplished by a bottom bolt and y the top lever engagement with the rear nug of thrib extension. Lower grade models were marfked on both sides of the frame with a setter dog and the logo Ithaca Gun Co.

My 1999 standard cataglog of firearms pricing indicates values from $1,100.00 to $100.00 in poor condition. If you have the ability and tools to restock it it may not be much money involved. HOwever, to have it done the cost would outweigh the value of the gun. (Opinion) I don't know if I would do the refinish on the iron. Barrels especially.

HJN
Old March 16, 2002, 08:57 AM   #3
Alex Johnson

Thanks for the information. I didn't realize that Ithaca offered damascus barrels as late as 1915, but that's interesting. I haven't completely stripped the action, but with the stock off it looks like the hammers are powered by flat leaf springs. Though when I think back on it they could have been the sear springs, in which case perhaps the coil springs are further in where they can't be seen without further dissasembly. Once again, thanks for the response.

Alex
I thoroughly disapprove of duels. I consider them unwise and I know they are dangerous. Also, sinful. If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand and lead him to a quiet retired spot and kill him.
- Mark Twain
Old March 16, 2002, 11:04 AM   #4
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

There is an indication that Ithaca made damascus into 1900, however if you could tell me what markings are on the sied of the receiver? This may tell us more aboout the Gun.

Ithaca Gun Co. in a Banner or the Setter

HJN
Old March 16, 2002, 10:11 PM   #5
Alex Johnson

The only markings on the side of the gun is the writing "New Ithaca Gun" surrounded by light scroll work. The Autumn 2001 issue of the Double Gun Journal has an article on a Lewis model grade 3 Ithaca and they show a 1904 Ithaca catalog where a 16 guage field grade Ithaca hammer gun with AA grade damascus barrels is selling for $32.00 (wish we could still buy them at that price). But they don't show any pictures of this particular gun.
I have always loved double barrels and my current finances allow me to purchase them on rare occasions, but I find that my money goes a whole lot farther with high quality damascus guns rather than ones with steel tubes. This is the only field grade double that I currently own, but it is still rather nice and I'm just interested in whatever I can dig up about it and the times that it was made in. I greatly appreciate your help in this matter. Thanks alot for this information and also for all the work you guys did on getting the site back on-line.

Alex
- Mark Twain
Old March 17, 2002, 06:05 AM   #6
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

Alex:
With the addition of the markings on the gun changes some things about your shotgun. I am attaching a segment from the above reference and this should help you decide on the value. It should also better explain the Model. I should have asked for the markings on the gun in your initial request to better identify the piece.

HJN

Last edited by Harley Nolden; March 17, 2002 at 06:25 AM.
Old March 17, 2002, 06:28 AM   #7
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

Alex:
Somehow I couldn't get the segment to attach when I edited. I have attached it on this posting.

HJN
Old March 17, 2002, 02:36 PM   #8
Alex Johnson

Thanks Harley, that was exactly what I needed.
Alex
- Mark Twain