The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Closed Thread

Old July 2, 2015, 02:54 PM   #1
KEYBEAR

Ruger and i part ways

I bought my first Ruger in about 1967 a Super Blackhawk . No sales tax and no paperwork just cash ($112.00) out the door . Over the years I have had a lot of Rugers and loved them all that is until the last five years . In the last five years Ruger has went down hill big time . I have had more problems with my new Rugers lately than ever before one little thing after another .

I have tried other guns but always came back to Ruger . Last week I ordered a new Magnum Research BFR 44 Mag in 5 inch . It is a big revolver at over 4 pounds and is built heavy . We will see how it holds up .

I shoot a lot of lead loaded at around 1150 FPS and shoot an average of 350-400 rounds a week weather permitting .

I will let you know how it works .
Old July 2, 2015, 02:55 PM   #2
Salmoneye

MORE FOR ME!

*happydance*
Old July 2, 2015, 04:31 PM   #3
Bob Wright

My experience has been just the opposite. I recently bought a Ruger Blackhawk Flat Top .44 Special and I truly believe it is the best fitted and finished Ruger Single Action factory stock to come out yet. I have some twenty Ruger Single Actions, one dating back to 1958, and have yet to have any problems deserving a rant.

Bob Wright
Old July 2, 2015, 05:12 PM   #4
KEYBEAR

All I can Say is good for You .
I have had that experience lately .
I refuse to buy a product that need to be sent back to use .
Old July 2, 2015, 05:56 PM   #5
Doc Holliday 1950

Hi KeyBear,

Maybe you'd like to read my CS post on Ruger. Here's one quote from Jim on the Firing Line Staff.
"Any factory can turn out a lemon. But a company with good quality control will have very few, and one benefit of that is that their repair services are not swamped and can take the time to fix what needs fixing. Good for Ruger."

I custom make my craft and once in awhile something goes wrong. I always stand behind it and make it right. So does Ruger.

Good Luck!

Doc
Old July 2, 2015, 06:34 PM   #6
Arizona Fusilier

I don't get it.......you "part ways", and you go ahead and buy another Ruger?

Sounds like an addiction.
Old July 2, 2015, 06:48 PM   #7
Deja vu

The BFR is a great revolver. Its built like a tank. Mine is in 45-70 with the longer barrel. They are very tough. There only down side is that they are very heavy and the stock sights (in my opinion) are not that great.

I pair my BFR with my Marlin. They go well together in the same caliber.

as far as Ruger go. I still like Ruger. I am sorry to hear that you dont. I do agree that there QC has slipped some. I had to do a bit of work on my 77/357 carbine to smooth it up and improve accuracy (free float the barrel).

all 26 of my guns are 45/70 govt, 357 mag, 22 or 12 ga... I believe in keeping it simple. Wish my wife did as well...
Old July 2, 2015, 07:00 PM   #8
KEYBEAR

Arizona Fusilier

Did I say I bought another Ruger ? I see reading is not your strong suit
Old July 2, 2015, 07:06 PM   #9
wild willy

So Deja Vu you are saying you don't like Ruger sights.My flattop had to go back so did my Super Blackhawk Hunter the barrel turned on it.I still buy Rugers they just seem to know what I want.Every gun I've ever sent back to them was fixed right the first time and quickly.I know when I buy a Ruger or any gun or a truck or a TV something might need fixed.
Old July 2, 2015, 07:21 PM   #10
bedbugbilly

I have owned and still own a number of Rugers - and like each of them. The closest thing to a "problem" with one of them was on a LCR I purchased - the cylinder release was a little sticky but it smoothed out over use. I know Doc Holliday 1950 had to send his back as the release wouldn't release. But hey . . . things do happen.

Any firearm can have a problem . . . just as any new car, washing machine or tiddlywhomper can. I have never had to send anything back to Ruger . . others have . . . but they are known for their excellent customer service. I sometimes wonder about those who complain about Ruger's CS . is it really bad or did they just not like what Ruger took care of versus what they think they should have don? I don't know . . . I do know that you are dealing with people and as such, people are not perfect. None of us are . . . . and with any manufactured product, sometimes things slip through QC that shouldn't . . . but it happens. When it does with Ruger . . . they take care of it.

On some of their revolvers, Ruger is known to have tight throats . . so what? It's not a big deal and a person can have them reamed to what THEY want, rather than the company covering the problem by just making them ten to twenty thousandths oversize . . which would really make a person roar.

If your done with Ruger . . then I have to assume that you are going to sell all of your Rugers and never own one again? If your Ford had a flat tire, would you do the same?

You say you have had a lot of Rugers and liked them . . . but the last five years not so much. That's a pretty general comment . . . why don't you state what model and what problem? What did Ruger say when you talked with them? Did you send it back for repairs and was it taken care of? If it wasn't fixed/repaired to your satisfaction . . . what did your follow up with Ruger produce?

But you are done with Ruger . . . which is certainly your prerogative . . . so I'm guessing you are going with others brands which is your option. I'd suggest some nice Taurus models . . .

As the old saying goes . . . "you never miss something until you no longer have it . . . . ".
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old July 2, 2015, 08:24 PM   #11
KEYBEAR

BEDBUG you know Taurus may be an upgrade ?
Old July 3, 2015, 12:25 PM   #12
DaleA

I like Ruger a lot.

But to clear up a point that was maybe missed by Arizona Fusilier and Wild Willy..

Magnum Research is a totally different company than Ruger. They make fine, but pricey revolvers like the following:

http://www.magnumresearch.com/Firear...nch-Barrel.asp

Keybear is buying one of Magnum Research's BFR revolvers, not another Ruger and Wild Willy - I think Deja Vu was commenting on the stock sights on his BFR revolver, (not a Ruger revolver).
Old July 3, 2015, 03:54 PM   #13
wild willy

The stock rear sight on a BFR is a Ruger sight.I don't need a picture to look at one.
Old July 3, 2015, 04:30 PM   #14
Cheapshooter

As the say, with no pictures, it didn't happen. Well in this case, without details it isn't credible!
What are all teses "problems" you are having with Ruger. My latest two, an LCR, and a 10-22 Takedown are excellent, accurate guns. Both flawlwss in form, and function, and a lot more accurate than I expected!
My previous Rugers, a Subper Blackhawk bought new in 1972, and a GP100 bought used several years ago are also excellent, but any quality differences in them, and my more recent purchases are undetectable.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old July 3, 2015, 05:38 PM   #15
Carmady

I'm a tad miffed with Ruger myself...noticed some rust in a few areas on the slide.

If the plastic starts to rust I'll be highly PO'd.
Old July 3, 2015, 07:06 PM   #16
Beagle45ACP

I'm with bedbug

Quote:
why don't you state what model and what problem?

Wastin' away my future children's inheritance one box of ammo, range fee, and bottle of Hoppe's #9 at a time.
Old July 3, 2015, 08:07 PM   #17
KEYBEAR

CHEAPSHOOTER just what make YOU credible ??
Old July 4, 2015, 12:20 AM   #18
DaleA

Ah well, I kind of like posting pictures of very nice revolvers just in case any one else is reading the thread.

I'd like it better if it was a picture of MY revolver but that will just have to wait till that lottery number hits. (Might have to buy a ticket for it to happen though so it probably won't happen any time soon.)
Old July 4, 2015, 12:49 AM   #19
JimmyR

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEYBEAR
CHEAPSHOOTER just what make YOU credible ??
The fact that he has been a member on this site since 2007 and has approximately 25 times as many posts as you do lends hime some credibility. That said, what he was not so subtley asking for were details as to what it was about Ruger that disappointed you. Many of the members on here, including myself, own Rugers that have been perfect examples of what a gun should be, and Ruger has developed a reputation for producing excellent firearms on the whole. Your experiences could help alter that reputation, but generic statements like in your OP don't give any evidence.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KEYBEAR
In the last five years Ruger has went down hill big time . I have had more problems with my new Rugers lately than ever before one little thing after another
Which guns have you had problems with? What problems were they? Did Ruger make them right? Discussions like this work best when you tell your story, not tell us ABOUT your story.
Originally Posted by 45Gunner View Post
JimmyR nailed it.
Old July 4, 2015, 08:02 AM   #20
KEYBEAR

The fact that he has been a member on this site since 2007 and has approximately 25 times as many posts as you do lends hime some credibility. That said, what he was not so subtley asking for were details as to what it was about Ruger that disappointed you. Many of the members on here, including myself, own Rugers that have been perfect examples of what a gun should be, and Ruger has developed a reputation for producing excellent firearms on the whole. Your experiences could help alter that reputation, but generic statements like in your OP don't give any evidence

25 times as many post and that make him and that gives him credibility .
So a lot of BS makes a poster creditable . (I see)
Old July 4, 2015, 08:28 AM   #21
mikejonestkd

In my experience, recently made Rugers are of excellent quality.
Old July 4, 2015, 08:31 AM   #22
wild willy

The fact that he has been a member on this site since 2007 and has approximately 25 times as many posts as you do lends hime some credibility.
That has to be one of the funniest things I've seen posted so the more you talk the more you know.And while were on the subject there is only one kind of person who never has any problems with a firearm any brand of firearms and that's the person who never shoots them.
Old July 4, 2015, 08:53 AM   #23
khegglie

So what problems did you have Keybear?
Old July 4, 2015, 09:04 AM   #24
Real Gun

Quote:
I have had more problems with my new Rugers lately than ever before one little thing after another .
'Nuff said.

Must be luck, and mine is the worst, frustrated with most of my Ruger acquisitions and the need for them to be reworked out of the box with rare exception (yet). Even a replacement gun had to go right back for rework.

I do notice though that of the (9) guns I took to the range yesterday (5) of them were Rugers, yet only (1) that has yet to need any repair. It's as if a trip back to Ruger and/or significant gunsmithing expense is part of owning the gun.

Part of my ownership of Rugers (revolvers) is their being the only affordable source for some uncommon guns. You kind of have to suffer along with that. I might not buy any more for lack of confidence, beaten down pretty thoroughly, but I will keep most of what I have. I just wish the level of pride and bonding was stronger.

Last edited by Real Gun; July 4, 2015 at 09:16 AM.
Old July 4, 2015, 09:20 AM   #25
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Nothing but bickering; no useful information.

Lighten up. Buy a fifth for the Fourth.
Closed Thread