The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 13, 2013, 07:15 PM   #1
Recoiljunky

cowboy loads with jacketed bullet?

I tried doing a search but could not find any results. This is in regards to loading 44 remington magnum cowboyloads. Can i use a jacketed bullet such as a 240gr nosler jsp on a 44 mag loaded with ff triple 7 and a CCI 300 primer and still be safe using it in a ruger super redhawk and marlin 1894? i have alot of this stuff laying around and i dont have the funds to get cast bullets or real BP.
Old February 13, 2013, 09:30 PM   #2
Crunchy Frog

Define "cowboy". If you are going to shoot in a SASS match, the rules require lead bullets only-no jacketed, plated or gaschecked bullets. Ricochet hazard on the steel targets we shoot in cowboy matches.
Old February 13, 2013, 09:46 PM   #3
Recoiljunky

low recoil and extra smoke. not really gonna use it for competition. just want some plinkining.
Old February 14, 2013, 08:05 AM   #4
Newton24b

44 special was loaded pre ww1 with black powder and a metal jacketed bullet. but to be honest, you have a decent bullet that does well at normal 44 magnum velocity in regards to accuracy and expansion.

blackpowder will be a lot dirty, and youll most likely stop doing it after a few cylinders.
Old February 14, 2013, 08:15 AM   #5
griz

It should be safe but it will not be low recoil. A full case of black powder is pretty stout.
Old February 14, 2013, 09:05 AM   #6
jaguarxk120

Just rmember if you load some T7, pyrodex or blackpowder, you WILL have a soap and water clean-up after the shooting session.

The soap and water is for everything guns and the case's. Regular bore solvents do not disslove the salts left behind after firing those powders.
Old February 14, 2013, 03:12 PM   #7
Recoiljunky

Do I need to lube the bullet and do I need a heavy crimp?
Old February 14, 2013, 03:49 PM   #8
Sevens

I shouldn't stick my nose in to a Black Powder (or substitute) thread but there's an alarm bell in the opening post and I don't think it's a bad idea to add some thoughts.

Coming *ONLY* from my smokeless powder perspective, if you are looking at published cowboy action load data (which, in my experience, is only EVER going to list cast or soft swaged lead bullets) and you attempt to simply insert a jacketed bullet in place of the lead one, you are asking for trouble.

The published (smokeless!) load data that is specifically served up as "Cowboy Action" loads are very, VERY low in velocity and assumes a far-easier to launch lead bullet. Using this data with a jacketed slug will put you at great risk of sticking a jacketed bullet in the bore of your firearm.

Sticking a jacketed slug in a bore really sucks.
But it could be MUCH worse: if you pull the trigger on the next one when you've already got one stuck. Then you have major, major problems and at the very least...most likely a ruined firearm.

In my opinion (again, I don't know anything about non-smokeless), your best bet in this situation is to find someone local and swap him this powder rather than looking for ways to "make it work." Someone wants the stuff and can likely trade you something that you will need.
Old February 14, 2013, 04:30 PM   #9
Recoiljunky

And can you over compress the powder?
Old February 14, 2013, 04:48 PM   #10
DMZX

Quote:
I shouldn't stick my nose in to a Black Powder (or substitute) thread but there's an alarm bell in the opening post and I don't think it's a bad idea to add some thoughts.

Coming *ONLY* from my smokeless powder perspective, if you are looking at published cowboy action load data (which, in my experience, is only EVER going to list cast or soft swaged lead bullets) and you attempt to simply insert a jacketed bullet in place of the lead one, you are asking for trouble.

The published (smokeless!) load data that is specifically served up as "Cowboy Action" loads are very, VERY low in velocity and assumes a far-easier to launch lead bullet. Using this data with a jacketed slug will put you at great risk of sticking a jacketed bullet in the bore of your firearm.

Sticking a jacketed slug in a bore really sucks.
But it could be MUCH worse: if you pull the trigger on the next one when you've already got one stuck. Then you have major, major problems and at the very least...most likely a ruined firearm.

In my opinion (again, I don't know anything about non-smokeless), your best bet in this situation is to find someone local and swap him this powder rather than looking for ways to "make it work." Someone wants the stuff and can likely trade you something that you will need.
I am with you on this. I know that one should not use Trail Boss with jacketed bullets for the reasons you touch on above.
Old February 14, 2013, 05:09 PM   #11
Recoiljunky

i guess ill wait till i can find or afford the powder and bullets