The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old April 9, 2001, 05:18 PM   #1
Correia

Last night, George, skyder, PvtPyle, and I went scouting for some other potential spots for the big shoot. We found a place that is simply awesome. It is just west of Utah lake, south of Lehi. There is a small mountain for a backstop, and ranges going from pistol to howitzer (1000+ yards I'm guessing). Beautiful scenery, incredible view, and a much better spot to camp than out in the desert.

There is a pretty rugged spot you have to cross to get in, it would be impossible with out 4wD and some good clearance, but we will probably just ferry folks up from the road. It isn't that far away.

You guys are going to love this place, it has got to be one of the best spots that I've seen for shooting.
Old April 9, 2001, 05:28 PM   #2
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

This spot is AWESOME.
For those who have not come out to a Gathering yet - Prepare to be amazed. We have some very cool plans going on and if you dont come - your seriously going to miss out.
For those Gathering Veterans - your in for a treat. The view is stunningly beautiful and represents some of the best Utah has to offer. If you dont have a 4X4 - dont worry - we'll have enough to shuttle folks from the lower area up to the upper area where we will be having the fun stuff.
Its a lot easier and faster to get to and find then the Far West Gathering Location (Last Two Gatherings).
Just head through Lehi till you get to that intersection that will lead North to Camp Williams or to the South to the lake... Head south.
Follow that road to you see what will be the TFL sign there or a lot of cars parked at the base of some serious foot hills. You wont be able to miss it... if you do - roll down your windows and listen for the gun fire. You can actually see the location from Orem.
Old April 9, 2001, 11:45 PM   #3
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

BBQ Grills...
If you have a grill - gas or char - please bring it.
We may not need it - but please bring it just in case.
Also - lawn chairs.
If you have lawn chairs, folding table... those are great too - please, if you can - bring those too.
We may not need them - but please bring them just in case.

This is really a great spot guys.
Once your up there - you'll want to stay there... Its awesome.
Old April 10, 2001, 12:45 PM   #4
Porter-Glockwell

I think I know the spot, that is my regular shooting area. There is a nice flat range for rifles and a beautiful view of the lake. Awesome.
Old April 10, 2001, 12:48 PM   #5
PvtPyle

April shoot

You guys beat me to it. This is the most beautiful area I have ever seen. Those camiping will have a great time and view. There is plenty of room for tents and fires. As George said, any folding chairs and tables would be great as would anyone with a truck. We have two maybe three but any others would make things alot easier.

You should be able to see the sun shades from the road, and the "parking lot" from the shooting location, so security will be good.

Old April 23, 2001, 11:08 PM   #6
sbryce

Sounds great.

"Security" . . . What kind of numbskull would even *think* of doing something dastardly within the sound of gunfire? Or maybe I've been privileged to avoid that kind of numbskull in my lifetime?

See ya Friday at the BBQ!

--Denise
Old April 24, 2001, 08:25 AM   #7
PvtPyle

Security..

I meant for those of us that are camping out on sight. I doubt that anyone would do anything during the day with everyone there but in the dark, in the middle of nowhere.... I certainly hope not.

See you all Friday!
Old April 24, 2001, 11:48 AM   #8
Iskatel

I want to come just to see this spot after all of your raving. How long is this going to end up being? If I came out about three or so would everybody still be there?
Old April 24, 2001, 02:44 PM   #9
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

I'ld put money on it.
Old April 24, 2001, 03:15 PM   #10
Iskatel

Alright then. I will start talking to the wife on my end. I still have 4 days to take care of all the jobs she might come up with for Saturday, so I should make it.
Old April 24, 2001, 08:13 PM   #11
Goet

:(

I won't be able to come--big final on Tuesday and I need to study. I did load up on ammo for the 5th and I'd like to go to this spot. I usually just went out by the Farm. Is this place better?

I am doing my gun-owning duty and taking someone who has never shot before. She's 'afraid' of guns, but willing to try.

Do you turn south right at the road that goes north to SLC?
Old April 24, 2001, 09:18 PM   #12
PvtPyle

Where to go....

You go south on Redwood, or turn left @ Lehi four corners. You wont be able to miss the TFL sign and all the cars. If you have a truck you can drive on up. Otherwise you will need to be schuttled up to the sight. I guess you could hump it but I wouldn't.

We will be there well into the evening on Saturday and probably on Sunday too. Some of us are camping out on Saturday night if you feel the urge to please join us.
Old April 25, 2001, 10:45 AM   #13
Goet

sounds cool

I will be heading to this place on the 5th.

Please post pics is possible. That way I can remember your faces.

I am big brother.
Old April 26, 2001, 04:45 PM   #14
Correia

Anybody hear from Meiji-man? I haven't seen him post anything lately, and I don't have his current e-mail.
Old April 26, 2001, 09:20 PM   #15
skyder

Last minute stuff...
From I-15 exit 282 the turn to go south on SR 68 is 4.3 miles west.
After turning south, it is 11.4 to the parking/rendezvous area.
AND ONE MORE THING (yes, I am shouting) BE ADVISED THAT YOU SHOULD BRING A HANDFULL OF .30-'06 OR .308 ROUNDS.
TRUST ME!
See y'all at the bbq.
Old April 27, 2001, 08:11 AM   #16
Correia

Take skyder's word for it. You are going to want to bring some 30-06 or .308. This thing is AWESOME.