The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old December 30, 2008, 12:28 AM   #26
FrontSight

GBRO: The policy states: "The replacement policy does not cover lost or stolen items", so the camera busting out of their own housing & getting lost does not qualify.
Old December 30, 2008, 12:30 AM   #27
FrontSight

Double Naught Spy,

1) Do you even realize how many calls and different people and reasoning and pointing to their dealer's websites I had to do with them to get offered a $30 discount? As well as offering them a great idea on how to mount it to a gun & how to beef up their housing so that this doesn't happen again & they can make more money & sales? The effort alone was worth WAY more than $30, so give me a break & don't insinuate that I am feeling ungratefully entitled. ESPECIALLY when I am finding it for CHEAPER on e-bay. So really, what kind of help are they being??

2) Oooooooh, wow, so I left off that I ran and fired two more while standing in the water, wow, what a slick, lying, story changer I must be, huh?! The reason I didn't bother mentioning that was because I was shooting point blank into the goose/water, and would have had a much better chance of seeing something fly off into the small area right in front of me with water, instead of at a target in the distance, with a large field of view & grass and background, so it is much more likely that it busted out in the first 3 rounds.

Either way, 5 rounds is no different than 3 rounds; I don't see your need to nitpick. That's like saying someone's a liar if they claimed their car broke down at 61,000 miles when it fact it was 62,000. Big...friggin...difference...NOT!

I've got the professional guide and another client of his that I met that day who witnessed the event as well, if anyone doubts my account of the events & can't sleep without proof of my honesty. Where I come from it's a big insult to call a man a liar without a good, solid reason, and we think long & hard before going there. I'd appreciate you showing some manners and doing the same.

Last edited by FrontSight; December 30, 2008 at 10:42 AM.
Old December 30, 2008, 04:11 PM   #28
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I was in a marsh about 30 yards...
Fair enough. Regardless of whether they intend to warranty the item or not, the way they seem to have treated you is ridiculous. Bad customer service is one of my pet-peeves. I've had more than one angry customer in more than one type of business that came in belligerent and left thanking me - without getting what they wanted. There is no excuse for poor treatment. (That goes for both sides of the counter.)
Old December 30, 2008, 04:57 PM   #29
FrontSight

Quote:
Fair enough. Regardless of whether they intend to warranty the item or not, the way they seem to have treated you is ridiculous. Bad customer service is one of my pet-peeves. I've had more than one angry customer in more than one type of business that came in belligerent and left thanking me - without getting what they wanted. There is no excuse for poor treatment. (That goes for both sides of the counter.)
Exactly!

Plus they either lied to me, or were just flat out unknowledgable - about what is written in their own manual, no less! - when they stated that it says "it's not to be used on firearms", when it does not say that anywhere, and were not even apologetic about it, even when I gave them proof of how it does not say that and of how their own authorized dealer states you can mount it to a gun with the optional kit.

And after ALL of that, the best they are willing to do is give me $30 off, which is still more than it costs if I were to buy it on e-bay, so they are not even willing to sell it to me at cost.

And THAT is why their customer service is horrible
Old December 31, 2008, 03:26 AM   #30
SKULLANDCROSSBONES65

G'day. On their web site it says that the EPIC is suited to ALL sports, on land or water. It seems as if the water proof housing IS NOT suited to all sports.
Old December 31, 2008, 04:35 AM   #31
PetahW

My son bought one last July - fortunately from Cabela's, where he is a frequent flier.

He's a bow and gun hunter, but uses it mounted on his hat brim so it would record where he looked even when he wasn't shooting.

Too bad the electronics kept failing, every time it was turned on during a hunt, after 5-10 seconds.

It worked great in an initial 2-minute backyard test, prior to hunting, but turned out to be unreliable.

Being a frequent flier, he dealt directly with Cabela's, whose tech staff had a few questions to determine if the product was defective.
They determined it was, and requested he return it for a full refund.

Cabela's is a good outfit to do business with.

Old December 31, 2008, 10:25 AM   #32
FrontSight

Cabelas is definitely top notch, and their customer service is outstanding, have been great to me over the years!

See, I give credit where credit is due, and I am not a jerk to deal with nor do I ever feel unrightfully entitled or anything like that.

For example, I bought a used Marlin .35 Rem from my local dealer a few months ago, he let me test fire it a couple of times and all was good. Living in NYC, it had to be registered, and after a week or so I get a letter from NYPD saying I could not buy it yet b/c it was less than 3 months since my last purchase (of a Savage muzzle loader, which isn't even a firearm by BATFE standards, but whatever), so I had to bring it back and let him hold it for three months.

I get it back from him after 3 months, go right home to put it away, and now notice that the stock is cracked on the handle, pretty badly that the trigger mechanism isn't working correctly.

I know for sure it had to have happenned while my dealer had it, since it was fine before I brought it back, but I tell my dealer I am more than happy to pay full price for a replacement stock or maybe go half with him, depending on how much it is.

I could have told him I know it was his fault and I want it replaced free, but that's just not how I am.

So knowing that I am of that personality, then something clearly is very bad about the customer service at Epic.