The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 16, 2012, 05:28 PM   #1
Viper99

2 questions if I may

I recently purchased a mkiii 22/45 and have a downpayment on a s&w 910s.
240 OTD for the Mkiii and the 910 would be 350 otd.

Did I make good deals?

Regards

tried to lead pictures but it says is too big.

I will describe them instead. The MKiii 22/45 is in new condition with the 6.88 barrel and glowing sites, plastic box, book 2 mags. The 910 is about 90%

Does anyone own a 910 that can share information with me?
Old December 16, 2012, 07:42 PM   #2
kahrguy

Thats a fair price. I am one that does not mind holster wear but it most look to be cared for with the s&w 910. 325 around here. The ruger sounds like good deal new looking condition.
Old December 16, 2012, 10:21 PM   #3
Shadi Khalil

That's a great deal for a new Ruger. I've seen used 910's for slightly less... What type of finish on the 910?
Old December 16, 2012, 10:30 PM   #4
bitttorrrent

Sounds good for the Ruger MK. I paid more - around 340 - but was an unfired used collector NRA or something commemerative.

If yours was nearly new, then would be good deal.

So don't worry about the cost, now you have them go out and shoot them. The Mk's will shoot on a dime over and over and I only stop firing when my fingers are tired of loading up clips.

Great gun.
Old December 16, 2012, 11:58 PM   #5
carguychris

Quote:
Does anyone own a 910 that can share information with me?
I don't have one, but I know a lot about them, so I'll jump in anyway.

The Model 910S is the Value Series version of the Model 5903. The model normally has a satin stainless steel slide with a silver color alloy frame, although IIRC a few two-tone pistols with black frames were also sold. The primary differences between the Value Series and the standard lineup was that the Value pistols had simplified and squared-off slide machining, no RH-side decocker/safety lever, and plastic guide rods, sights, and mag release buttons. Later Value Series pistols had some design refinements and lock up at the ejection port like a SIG rather than with a groove on top of the barrel like a conventional S&W pistol or a BHP, but most shooters who aren't tech nerds (like me) won't ever notice any difference.

The only Value Series difference that causes a problem for most people is the plastic guide rod, which tends to flex and slip out of the retaining notch under the barrel, making reassembly difficult. A metal guide rod from a standard 59-series is an easy fix.

The RH-side ambidextrous decocker/safety lever can be addressed with standard 59-series parts, but it's a complex project that not many people bother tackling, as many shooters only ever use the lever(s) for decocking. Later 3rd-gen S&W pistols like yours have a trigger-actuated firing pin block and are therefore considered drop-safe with the decocker/safety in the FIRE position. DA/safety-off carry is not a problem.

If you decide to swap the sights, be aware that 59xx-series pistols were made with 3 different and mutually incompatible styles of rear sight; the Value Series were only built with the later-style Novak (or slanted) rear sights.

Any and all double-stack 10, 14, or 15-round mags for a 59-series, M910, or M915 should work in your pistol. S&W changed the model designation from 915 to 910 to reflect the 10-round limit when the 1994 Assault Weapons Ban (AWB) was enacted, but they curiously did not change the designation back when the AWB expired in 2004 and they started shipping the pistols with 15rd mags again. FWIW the 10-rounders make dandy range mags because they're often cheaper to buy than the standard-capacity units. OTOH 69-series mags are physically shorter and will NOT fit in your pistol.

Almost all S&W DA/SA pistols came with a mag disconnect, which disables the trigger when the mag is out. If this bothers you- I regard it as a matter of opinion- it can be disabled non-destructively, but the project requires drifting out the rear sight, so it's not the easiest thing to tackle. Most shooters don't bother; unlike some other pistols, the mag disconnect has absolutely no effect on the trigger pull quality, so there's no reason to remove it unless the inability to fire with the mag out really bugs you.

Enjoy!

Last edited by carguychris; December 17, 2012 at 12:01 AM. Reason: info added...
Old December 18, 2012, 10:21 PM   #6
Viper99

carguychris,

Thanks for the great information.
Old December 19, 2012, 11:33 AM   #7
PetahW

IMHO, it's too late to worry about whether you got a good deal or not - that time passed, when you paid for them.

Shoot them both; then - Love 'em or leave 'em.............

The proof'll be in the pudding of shooting - which will satisfy you, or let you chalk the purchase(s) up to experience & move on.