The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old September 24, 2012, 07:24 AM   #1
Magnum Wheel Man

had my new custom 17 Fireball out this weekend...

I've been so busy lately, haven't had much time for shooting... the rifle is a 60's Remington 700 originally chambered in 17 Remington, that was my FIL's, the throat was pretty shot out of it, & rather than just rebarrel it, I decided to rebarrel & chamber in 17 Fireball, which also required a new mag spring & floorplate as well as box insert...

my retired machinst buddy called up, & wanted to test fire his new 17 Fireball single shot, he built from scratch...

that sounded like a good excuse to sight mine in... I'd test fired it before, but not shot more than 2 rounds through it yet... the gun looks just like when my FIL had it, ( except for the stainless barrel ) still wearing the original 4-12X Redfield... 1st 4 shot group at 100 yards off the bench, gave me 3 shots touching, with one shot about 1/2" out, group was 6" high & 2" left... a couple scope adjustments later, & I have her dialed in for 100 yards... it was too windy to go to 200 yards, so I let my buddy do the balance of the shooting...

his new rifle seemed to shoot pretty nice, but had one flaw... he needs a stronger spring on the extractor, as the claw wouldn't pull out his empties... ( he had loaded 6 rounds kinda hot, as proofing loads ), with which the tough extraction could be expected, but, I was still shooting factory rounds, as brass is still tough to come by, & his gun wouldn't pull the factory round case, so he'll have to put a heavier spring under the claw...

anyway, had fun, really like this cartridge... wish more shot it, so the components wouldn't be so tough to get...

4000 fps... whats not to like about that
Old September 24, 2012, 07:34 AM   #2
customaquatics

before you post anything else you are doomed unless you post a pic of the 4k fps .17 cal rifle!!!!
23 year old NRA member AKaholic #158907 , 1942 Ex-Sniper Izzy Mosin Nagant, 1970's Marlin 30-30, Remington 870 tatical, Charter Arms The Pink Lady 38 Special.
Old September 24, 2012, 08:17 AM   #3
Magnum Wheel Man

sorry... no pics of the rifle yet... ( picture in your mind, a 60's Remington 700 with the ebony stock tip, & a 60's Redfield 4-12X scope )

I only have 50 empty cases for reloading, so I've been buying a little factory ammo, until I can get more empty cases...

this is what I was shooting in it... ( it's "supposed" to shoot the pills at 4000 fps )... I have a 26" Adams & Bennet stainless barrel on the gun, so I aught to be close to that

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/346...tail-box-of-20
Old September 24, 2012, 02:46 PM   #4
Scorch

MWM-
Now you got me going. One of the local gun shops has a used 700 in 17 Rem. I've been lusting after it for a few months, I suppose I will have to take the plunge now.
Old September 24, 2012, 02:57 PM   #5
Magnum Wheel Man

The 17 Remington is known to be hard on the throats, so I thought I'd try the Fireball... the switch over parts are available for the box mag... I think this might be one of my favorite 700's ( even though it's not super clean... wifey's dad really liked his 17 Remington, so the stock has alot "charictor"... not beat to crab, but definately shows honest use )... 1st 3 shots on Sunday went into a single 30 caliber hole, with the 4th a 1/2" out... it was pretty breezy ( not making excuses for the 4th shot at 100 yards ) but if it had been more calm, I'd have liked to try going out to 200-250 yards...

hope I can get my handloads to do as well as the factory loads shot ( which is usually no problem )

This is a pic... I got off line, but is the same as my rifle ( except for mine has an older Redfield 4-12X, AO, not the newer glass pictured on this one, & a little heavier stainless barrel )

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 17 Remington.jpg (23.1 KB, 91 views)

Last edited by Magnum Wheel Man; September 24, 2012 at 04:05 PM.
Old September 24, 2012, 03:07 PM   #6
Magnum Wheel Man

BTW SCORCH... FIL had loads for the 17 Remington that would make the bullets disapear before they got to the target... I still have a couple 17 Remingtons, his loading data, & a bunch of "Lucky Strike" cigarette "targets" with 17 caliber holes in them... I think I could match his best with the factory ammo I'm shooting out of the ( now) Fireball rifle ( of course the 17 caliber bullets should be better today, than they were 15 years ago )... & I'm sure his HOT loads didn't help the barrel life any... I expect the Fireball barrel will last much longer

Last edited by Magnum Wheel Man; September 24, 2012 at 04:06 PM.