The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Closed Thread

Old November 16, 2010, 06:36 PM   #76
Hoss Fly

Quote:
Quote:
Actually, ive talked to several people on TFL, who solely clean their guns by putting the parts in boiling water.
Quote:
If they were all that smart, they would be over here instead. Sorry, couldn't help myself. I do occasionally post over there but not real often.
Old November 16, 2010, 07:16 PM   #77
shortwave

All this heating up and cooling down, soaking in oils and vaselines...

I can see the making of a damascus 1911.
Old November 16, 2010, 07:31 PM   #78
stevieboy

I've been scratching my head while I read this thread and wondering what the hell is going on here? I own a whole bunch of handguns, I've never baked any of them in the oven, and none of them are showing even the slightest sign of rust. I keep them clean, dry, and occasionally, very lightly oiled and that's it. Cooking them in the oven covered with grease or vasoline strikes me as flat out insane.
Old November 16, 2010, 07:40 PM   #79
TheGoldenState

Quote:
If they were all that smart, they would be over here instead. Sorry, couldn't help myself. I do occasionally post over there but not real often.
UHHHH, was someone forum surfing and forget where they were for a second?

LMAO!
Old November 16, 2010, 07:44 PM   #80
adjc

gotta give the ole boy (OP) a big pat on the back for havin' thick skin and hanging in there. been some funny stuff said here!
Old November 16, 2010, 08:02 PM   #81
RJay

I have to admit, I've been around the world twice, been to two county fairs and watched a goat roping contest but I have never heard of baking my firearms in Vaseline. That has got to be one of the oddest things I have ever heard of.
Old November 16, 2010, 08:44 PM   #82
Texasred

I think everyone should give the guy a break, he fessed up to his mistake, I bet in the future he will do a little more research before cooking a gun again.
Old November 16, 2010, 08:45 PM   #83
Edward429451

My understanding is that this treatment can also be a fix for Glocks. Any Glock given this treatment will never KB.
Old November 16, 2010, 09:14 PM   #84
Dr. Strangelove

With Thanksgiving coming up, I'm gonna kill two birds with one stone and deep fry all my pistols in peanut oil right after the turkey bird comes out...

Wadda ya think, ten minutes a pound?
Old November 16, 2010, 09:43 PM   #85
S&W-Keeper

This thread has made me laugh more than I have in a long time. I had tears running down my cheeks.Everybody knows that you only put vaseline on a H&K.No body puts it on a 1911.What were you thinking.
Old November 16, 2010, 09:43 PM   #86
Mike Irwin
Staff

BONJOUR!

I'm Julia Child and this is Mastering the Art of French Gun Ownership!

I have just shot this lovely bird and now I am going to stuff it with my favorite oiled .45! We shall then bake at 700 degrees for about two hours!

How do we know it's done? We leave a bullet in the chamber! When the bullet blows the bird's ass off, VOILA! Dinner is served with a side of hot lead!

And your favorite .45 has that wonderful house on Christmas morning smell for your next pin shoot!

You'll be the envy of Clem, Cleetus, and all the rest of the slack-jawed yokels!

Bon Appetite!

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old November 16, 2010, 09:58 PM   #87
Nanuk

I think it should have been deep fried in lard.
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.
Old November 16, 2010, 10:14 PM   #88
The Book

This is cracking me up LOL Had to share with a buddy he told me I BS til I copied and show this to him
Old November 16, 2010, 10:50 PM   #89
Texasred

Quote:
I think it should have been deep fried in lard.
Now this makes sense
Old November 16, 2010, 11:00 PM   #90
FreakGasolineFight

The very definition of an "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" moment.

Also, those baked-on finishes tend to work quite a bit better if the gun is marinated first. I, myself, prefer to make my marinade out of Italian dressing, cajun pepper, black pepper, and jalapenos. Try frying instead of baking for that delicate golden-brown restaurant look. Serve with a Black Cossack and a smile.
Old November 16, 2010, 11:13 PM   #91
LinuxHack3r

Personally, I think all of these replies are hilarious. However, just know that I did read on several places on the internet about this and considered it for several months. This weekend I shot my .45 and then while detail stripping it afterwords, I figured "Hey I'll go ahead and give it a try what can it hurt"? The main reason I wanted to try it was I figured it'd cause the oil to penetrate deeper into the frame and slide that it would if you simply applied it normally. Would it really make a difference? No, not at all. But I just wanted to give it a go and see what would happen. Now I get to spend some time fixing it
Old November 16, 2010, 11:26 PM   #92
FreakGasolineFight

I know. Meaning no offense with my post, I'm sure. It's exactly the same sort of thing I'd do (and do pretty regularly) though I'd have to say I'd be way too chicken to stick one of my precious guns into an oven.
Old November 16, 2010, 11:54 PM   #93
BILLDAVE

I don't know what to say! This is the wierdest thread.
Old November 17, 2010, 03:25 AM   #94
woodguru

Darwin Award Worthy For Sure

YEP!

My wife innocently asked if I've ever baked one of my guns and I about died as I said "Hell No". She said she thought it sounded pretty weird the more she thought about it.
Old November 17, 2010, 06:35 AM   #95
Mike Irwin
Staff

As I said previously, you can purchase cans of baking lacquers from Brownell's that you cure in the... oven.

Old November 17, 2010, 06:41 AM   #96
ostrobothnian

I had to talk down the G1 from committing suicide last month. I feel your pain bro. He just wanted to be like DiGornios frozen after all.
Old November 17, 2010, 09:14 AM   #97
ElrodCod

This business about the oil "soaking deeper into the slide and frame" is nonsense. It'steel, not a sponge. The parkerized surface has a texture due to it's crystaline nature but it's not porous in the sense that anything can "soak in" to any degree. Unlike the OP's head, it's only a few thousandths of an inch thick. Wiping it with an oily rag will suffice.

Last edited by ElrodCod; November 17, 2010 at 10:52 AM.
Old November 17, 2010, 09:50 AM   #98
mrgoodwrench76

Correct me if I'm wrong (with darn good facts)

I have always been taught that all metal is porous to an extent. Its porousity is determined by the type of metal, mixture of different metals, and the rate at which it is heated and cooled. Parkerized metal is most definately porous and WILL retain oil. It is my belief that had the heat been a lot lower, similar to the effects of a crock pot (hot warehouse) and the correct petroleum product been used (cosmolene) then the results would have been more desireable. If you want to be like the rest of the sheep in the herd, then by all means take their sound advice and clean and oil it. Personally, I like to find my own way and would not be afraid (once properly cleaned) to make a second, more educated attempt. Besides, from prior experience with numerous C&R rifles, I rather enjoy the aroma of hot cosmolene.
Old November 17, 2010, 10:03 AM   #99
Mike Irwin
Staff

As I understand it, with a parkerized gun its not the gun metal that is porous, it's the phosphate finish itself. I believe that the parkerizing solution etches the surface metal of the gun and allows the phosphate to adhere better, though.

Old November 17, 2010, 10:23 AM   #100
MLeake

mrgoodwrench76

Experimentation and application is well and good. You are free to do what you want with your stuff.

But... at least one of the forum members who posted in this thread (Bill DeShivs) actually is a metallurgist. So, when he says that 1) heat treatment won't really do what some people seem to think it will do, and (more importantly) 2) that 450 is getting into the tempering range... it might be a good idea to avoid experimenting in those directions.
Closed Thread