The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 21, 2006, 12:22 PM   #1
The Guy

More power for my .30 carbine

o.k. this is straight out of my behind here, but what if...

I took a .223, chopped her down to 1.290 length, turned the rim(? where the extractor fits) down to .310, the shoulder(? where the bolt fits) to .360, and re necked to .308. I would have to ream and finish my chamber to .223 specs, but to .30 carbine depth using .30 go/no go gauges. I KNOW it would be alot of work, but WILL it work , WHAT am I forgeting , WHY won't it work , and will my barrel take the pressures involved .

All thoughts are appreciated, thank you!

And, if it will work, any recomendations for a starting point on powder (fast, slow, weights)

Last edited by The Guy; July 21, 2006 at 12:28 PM. Reason: 2nd question
Old July 21, 2006, 01:24 PM   #2
Scorch

Read Cartridges Of The World. It has several wildcats based on the 30 Carbine round, all the way from 5.6 Spitfire to 38 caliber wildcats. Most people have abandoned the 30 Carbine due to unavailability of the rifles and the marginal gains you will get. You might just trade it off for a good used rifle if you want more OOMPH.
Old July 21, 2006, 01:32 PM   #3
The Guy

but, hypotheticly, playing around w/something is FUN!

and this isn't a nice carbine that I'm modifying, I wouldn't be doing this to a nice G.I., belive me. It does work well, and I have a sprare barrel, and too much time on my hands, so....
Old July 21, 2006, 04:20 PM   #4
tINY

Look at where the gas port is on the barrel before you get any wild ideas. It's more a matter of timing the bolt opening than how much pressure the acion will take.....

-tINY

Old July 21, 2006, 04:31 PM   #5
The Guy

It wouldn't increase the aol of the cartrige, just the diamiter. Are you saying that the incerased presure and fps would cause the oprod to open too soon before the bullet exits the barrel?
Old July 21, 2006, 04:54 PM   #6
tINY

It has more to do with the mass of the bolt and the gas pressure profile as the bullet goes down the barrel.

That's why higher power gas guns have the port further down the barrel.

-tINY

Old July 21, 2006, 05:03 PM   #7
The Guy

But it is a rotating bolt, shouldn't open before the op rod begins to slide back. Are you saying that I would need to turn out a barrel with a gas port further down, or bleed off some of the gas? Explain.